ADVERTISEMENT

David Taylor to Oklahoma State & related news

I'd say Dake is the next big name to take a coaching position. And from what I hear Iowa's gonna be looking bc 1/2 of T&T is out.
I don't see how it's not Spencer's to lose if he so chooses. You can't give it to Dake if Spencer ends up coming around. Also Dake is not an Iowa personality.

I'll believe half of TnT is out when I see it. At this point, they look like a package deal. All in or all out. They don't recruit well. They teach antiquated training techniques. They have let Iowa be branded in a negative light, and probably don't even know it.

Congrats to DT, great hire by ok st. Some of you here are a little star struck i believe, PSU machine wont miss a beat. DT hire just made the cornell, tosu, mich, iowa st, iowa programs squirm though. As far as recruits prospective, cael and co. Just coached 4 of the Olympic weight reps one who beat DT 2 straight. They just beat the record for points score and margin of victory at NCAA, they just had 4 ind and 2 - 4 time champs. DT is truly an unknown commodity in coaching. I believe he will do great but it wont derail PSU.

I'll believe half of TnT is out when I see it. At this point, they look like a package deal. All in or all out. They don't recruit well. They teach antiquated training techniques. They have let Iowa be branded in a negative light, and probably don't even know it.

I agree that Iowa should hold onto both Brands for as long as they can.

Wrestling just got better.

I have little doubt David will recruit well, but I think he will bat well below 500 when going head-to-head with Cael.

Young recruits watched six blue and white singlets wrestle in the most recent NCAA finals. They watched eight NLWC singlets wrestle in the OTT finals; one was worn by Taylor, passing the torch to Brooks.

These are powerful images for kids who envision national championships and world medals.

So much could change with NIL, and OSU dropping money. Also, being a coach is a hell of a lot different than putting all your eggs into the basket of a person who has never run a program. My gut tells me DT will do well, but he doesn't have the experience Coleman did.

This must be horrifying for Iowa.

So much could change with NIL, and OSU dropping money. Also, being a coach is a hell of a lot different than putting all your eggs into the basket of a person who has never run a program. My gut tells me DT will do well, but he doesn't have the experience Coleman did.

This must be horrifying for Iowa.
Anything horrifying for Iowa is generally speaking, a good thing.

Congrats to DT, great hire by ok st. Some of you here are a little star struck i believe, PSU machine wont miss a beat. DT hire just made the cornell, tosu, mich, iowa st, iowa programs squirm though. As far as recruits prospective, cael and co. Just coached 4 of the Olympic weight reps one who beat DT 2 straight. They just beat the record for points score and margin of victory at NCAA, they just had 4 ind and 2 - 4 time champs. DT is truly an unknown commodity in coaching. I believe he will do great but it wont derail PSU.
I feel the same. DT is a huge steal for OkSt. Cael and co were the biggest ever. Cael, Cody, and Casey are the true Stars and have shown that time and time again. DT has to create that coaching relationship with his wrestlers now. I think he can do it, but he has a lot to do in a place that needs some work. He needs his own DT to come and change his program. I think Jax is that guy. Bo, if he follows can be a nice secondary punch.

Hat tip to the Oklahoma State powers that be that made this happen. Talk about swinging for the fences - wow! They already had a very good candidate in Scott and the program appeared to be on an upward trajectory with talented recruits, redshirts and transfers teed up. But somebody decided this wasn’t good enough so they tossed all of their cards on the table and declared “Goddamnit, we are going to compete with Cael Sanderson!” I am seriously impressed.

Just a thought or two.

Good for David Taylor. He has had such a massive positive impact on PSU wrestling. As a very long-time PSU wrestling fan it would be difficult for me to thank him enough. I am very happy for him and wish him great success.

M2 is a David and Mark McKnight undertaking and Mark has had at least as much to do with the club's success as David if not more so. Multiple past Lions run practices and teach at the club and while David is the star attraction the foundation of the club is strong. It was posted in this thread the club may be changing locations, but it is extremely doubtful the club's continued operation is in doubt.

From a staff standpoint, if I was David I would seriously approach Jake Varner. Jake and Cael are very close and Jake is married to a local girl with strong family ties to Centre county, but associate head coach Jake Varner with a pay bump would maybe make it an interesting decision for Jake.

I would also approach Zain or Nolf.

Everybody assumes he is taking his BIL.

I would also ask Thomas Gilman.

Only time will tell if Taylor fully grasped the unconventional overarching philosophy effecting the individual psychology of peak performance brought forth by Cael, Cody, and Casey. I have never heard a PSU wrestler get to the heart of it, or even close to it, in a interview....by design I think.

Reactions: PSUbluTX
Only time will tell if Taylor fully grasped the unconventional overarching philosophy effecting the individual psychology of peak performance brought forth by Cael, Cody, and Casey. I have never heard a PSU wrestler get to the heart of it, or even close to it, in an interview....by design I think.
I think plenty “grasp” it. Integrating/Living it is the hard part.

It makes sense only if Terry returns to coaching the RTC.

Terry doesn't seem to have lost any fire. Tom will never fire his brother. That leaves the AD ... and if she's going to fire an assistant coach, she may as well go ahead and fire the head coach too.

Just a thought or two.

Good for David Taylor. He has had such a massive positive impact on PSU wrestling. As a very long-time PSU wrestling fan it would be difficult for me to thank him enough. I am very happy for him and wish him great success.

M2 is a David and Mark McKnight undertaking and Mark has had at least as much to do with the club's success as David if not more so. Multiple past Lions run practices and teach at the club and while David is the star attraction the foundation of the club is strong. It was posted in this thread the club may be changing locations, but it is extremely doubtful the club's continued operation is in doubt.

From a staff standpoint, if I was David I would seriously approach Jake Varner. Jake and Cael are very close and Jake is married to a local girl with strong family ties to Centre county, but associate head coach Jake Varner with a pay bump would maybe make it an interesting decision for Jake.

I would also approach Zain or Nolf.

Everybody assumes he is taking his BIL.

I would also ask Thomas Gilman.
I honestly don't care who DT takes to OSU, but Casey needs to stay at PSU. Break the bank if you have to donors.

Reactions: tomsc and diggerpup
I'm stating the obvious here, but Ok State has more or less thrown down the gauntlet and said they are not going to sit back and watch Penn State run away with all of the trophies for the next 10 years. To me, that is a good sign because it shows that at least one of the traditional wrestling powerhouses still cares a lot about keeping a strong program. Will Iowa follow suit? Only time will tell. It's going to be interesting to see how many other programs initiate big changes in their coaching staff in the near future.

DT swan song update from Brooks PED thread (should AB be denied):

1. Oly Gold – (tbd)
2. Shoes on mat – (either Paris, or first match as Cowboy HC)
3. HC job, wife onboard - check

Also, IDK how OKST operates, but if this were PSU, no announcement would be possible before the Board of Trustees held a public top secret meeting among the Executive Committee only to approve the hiring and funding allocation -- even if much of the funding were external.

And that meeting would require some public notice beforehand. (PSU does not typically announce the agenda item in the public notice, but it's rarely a secret.)

All of which is to say that, even if an offer were extended and accepted so quickly (neither of which is certain), an announcement tomorrow seems extremely unlikely.
FIFY. The next time the PSU board shows any transparency will be the first.

Whether he wants to or not people are going to take a few runs at him and he will have multiple opportunities to say "no".

They are going to offer him impressive amounts of compensation.
I'm not sure how true this is. Meaning: how many schools are willing to shell out "impressive amounts of compensation" for their wrestling coach?

PSU - done
OKST - done

Iowa - yes, if they have any money left after offering $500k to every transfer in sight. Brands is 56, and they seem willing to wait for Spencer.

Ohio State - has the money, though Ryan is only 56. The shine might be off of some of these guys by the time Ryan retires. Caveat if Ryan's recovery from the crash has complications and he retires early -- then all bets are off.

Michigan - has the money. Bormet is only 53. They may first need to invest in the RTC since Beloglazov is 67.

Iowa State - yes. They made a splash for Dresser, and he's now 61. This seems like the most likely next place to make a headline.

Cornell? Seems unlikely to bounce Grey.

Arizona State? Not sure about money, especially with Sunkist Kids folding. Zeke is 57.

Nebraska? Can't see them ponying up for anyone other than Burroughs. And unless they're chasing headlines, Bryan Snyder makes more sense.

What other programs are finding that kind of money?

Reactions: diggerpup
I’ve been thinking Nolf, but he may not be ready to scale down on competing. Mark maybe? Jimmy has been a great coach for our middleweights. Zain comes to mind, but he seems to have plans away from wrestling.
Doubt Mark -- he got increased duties at Penn with Reina retiring, and the city seems to suit him.

Maybe Cenzo? He wants to coach, has coached before, has the right personality, and is suddenly looking for work.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT