ADVERTISEMENT

David Taylor to Oklahoma State & related news

I think the portal makes it a bit easier to amass talent more quickly.
Works both ways, the portal.

Plus, this is very much like the corporate world now. Taylor = success means more schools come calling for the next Taylor (Dake? Nolf? Askren?). Which means that coach then draws talent away from Taylor like Taylor might Cael.

Still think we’re discrediting Cael tremendously here. It’s not easy as install a legend and win all the time.

I think the portal makes it a bit easier to amass talent more quickly.
True, but talent isn't enough to catch PSU, it needs to be national finalist level talent. Some of those guys have transferred in recent years, but not many. Will he get enough of them to compete with PSU so quickly? We'll see.

Not ruling it out. Just don't think it's automatic.

Jax to OKST was already the expectation but I have to feel like it is all but a guarantee now it makes too much sense

Works both ways, the portal.

Plus, this is very much like the corporate world now. Taylor = success means more schools come calling for the next Taylor (Dake? Nolf? Askren?). Which means that coach then draws talent away from Taylor like Taylor might Cael.

Still think we’re discrediting Cael tremendously here. It’s not easy as install a legend and win all the time.
Sure. And I don’t think PSU is just going to suddenly fall off a cliff anything,

But almost every move like this in wrestling history has resulted in the hiring program becoming a juggernaut. See: Gable, Smith, Sanderson

True, but talent isn't enough to catch PSU, it needs to be national finalist level talent. Some of those guys have transferred in recent years, but not many. Will he get enough of them to compete with PSU so quickly? We'll see.

Not ruling it out. Just don't think it's automatic.
The interesting thing for Taylor is that “his guys” currently on the PSU roster all have serious competition at their ideal weight. Kasak-SVN, Haines-MM, Ryder-Facundo. I don’t think any of them want to leave but there is a chance 1 or 2 of them decide to hit the portal after the 24-25 season and you have to think DT would be their first call

Sure. And I don’t think PSU is just going to suddenly fall off a cliff anything,

But almost every move like this in wrestling history has resulted in the hiring program becoming a juggernaut. See: Gable, Smith, Sanderson, Brands … oh wait.
FIFY again 😁

• Haha
Reactions: diggerpup
The interesting thing for Taylor is that “his guys” currently on the PSU roster all have serious competition at their ideal weight. Kasak-SVN, Haines-MM, Ryder-Facundo. I don’t think any of them want to leave but there is a chance 1 or 2 of them decide to hit the portal after the 24-25 season and you have to think DT would be their first call
MM-Haines has worked itself out for the most part.

No inside info here, but I think Levi is one who finishes out at Penn State then maybe ends up at the Cowboy RTC

But almost every move like this in wrestling history has resulted in the hiring program becoming a juggernaut. See: Gable, Smith, Sanderson
Truth to that.

I just can’t believe that John Smith has been so bad since 2007 that you can go from him to anyone else on earth and immediately be anything close to a peer of Penn State.

If David Taylor’s value add over Smith is going to immediately being peers with Cael from finishing around 15 for a long time, hell we should fire Cael and hire Taylor.

Reactions: Shot of Espresso
MM-Haines has worked itself out for the most part.

No inside info here, but I think Levi is one who finishes out at Penn State then maybe ends up at the Cowboy RTC
That makes sense to me. I just think Levi is in a tough spot where he apparently wants to move up from 157 but MM is at 165 and I don’t buy the weight swap plan. I like the idea of redshirting to 174 for folk but long term you have to think Levi is a 74kg guy for Olympics. Also if he does go all the way up to 174 you have him, Facundo and Ryder all fighting for that spot

Reactions: donboy6499
His problem will be, like Iowa and Ohio State has been, you could let Taylor pick the one he prefers of those 3 and he’s still at least 5-6 guys short.

Most incredible thing I ever read was last year, 2023, Iowa finished second. They could have brought in Yianni, Gable, and had Spencer win, and still would have finished second.

I don’t think you all are thinking through what kind of firepower it will take to “compete regularly” with what Cael has done.

Yep, David Taylor is the biggest coaching hire since Cael Sanderson. History says it would be shocking if he's not competing for titles in a few years.

Here’s another not so crazy hypothetical. Suppose the issue with AB goes down badly. Will DT have to take a temporary leave of absence to pinch hit for the 86kg spot?

Reactions: diggerpup
Here’s another not so crazy hypothetical. Suppose the issue with AB goes down badly. Will DT have to take a temporary leave of absence to pinch hit for the 86kg spot?
Here's another crazy hypothetical.

What if Zahid never pulls AB's singlet in the OTT semi ?? ... All of this is a dream.

• Wow
Reactions: Ski and cearle462
Truth to that.

I just can’t believe that John Smith has been so bad since 2007 that you can go from him to anyone else on earth and immediately be anything close to a peer of Penn State.

If David Taylor’s value add over Smith is going to immediately being peers with Cael from finishing around 15 for a long time, hell we should fire Cael and hire Taylor.
David Taylor is this generation of wrestler's John Smith. He's going to be able to recruit the guys that John couldn't and bring the OSU program into the 21st century. John was probably closer to TnT than Cael with respect to training philosophy.

Here's another crazy hypothetical.

What if Zahid never pulls AB's singlet in the OTT semi ?? ... All of this is a dream.
Seriously, I don’t think Zahid would have beaten DT. Then DT would be training now for Paris. Would he have dropped everything to talk to OSU and would he have accepted, knowing it would be a distraction? Maybe M2 stands for Mice and Men with regards to the best laid plans! 🤔

Is it me or if true DT just doesn’t seem like a fit in Okie State no matter the $$$$. Iowa, maybe, but seems a bit uncomfortable in Stillwater especially if it’s all $$$ driven.

Plus he has to uproot his family and his farm.

Also. to the extent M2 is a negotiable asset, a good deal of its value derives from DT, so to the extent there's a buyer, they are buying a railroad without locomotives.

Money is a wonderful servant and a fearsome master.

Good: I have a number two team to give a shit about.
Please tell us this was intentional!

0bf9135e-b2e1-47ec-93bd-f48574bf1c35_text.gif

Cue Hawk fans
Word out of stillwater.

All current coaches gone. Expect Kennedy, molinaro. Dake and Gilman RTC coaches. Snyder possibly coming.
This would not be the good. If this were to happen its not hard to see a steady flow of talent wanting to work with those guys just as it happened here. And the dynasty just took a big hit.

Reactions: Str8DBLz
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT