ADVERTISEMENT

Dartmouth mens basketball files petition to unionize

Obliviax

Aug 21, 2001
I recall NW FB trying to do this a few years back. Had they succeeded, things would be really different right now.

This is necessary as college athletics is going to have to negotiate with some college athlete's entity in order to create a collective bargaining agreement. it will be interesting to see if it ends up being several unions or just one. By that I mean a union for football, basketball, baseball, etc. The issues are vastly different for a college rowing team member versus football. Or, will there be a union for everything that will negotiate a CBA for each sport. Probably the latter but it may take a while to get there.

Reactions: Rip_E_2_Joe_PA
I recall NW FB trying to do this a few years back. Had they succeeded, things would be really different right now.

This is necessary as college athletics is going to have to negotiate with some college athlete's entity in order to create a collective bargaining agreement. it will be interesting to see if it ends up being several unions or just one. By that I mean a union for football, basketball, baseball, etc. The issues are vastly different for a college rowing team member versus football. Or, will there be a union for everything that will negotiate a CBA for each sport. Probably the latter but it may take a while to get there.

I see a great opportunity for some big time grift and grab in a National College Sports Union. Please consider donating to my fundraising campaign for the Union’s Presidency. Remember my campaign slogan “If I win “$$$” all my contributors win “$$$”.

P5 football and basketball players have leverage because the school is making money in those sports. I seriously doubt that Dartmouth basketball makes a profit.

Reactions: PAgeologist
P5 football and basketball players have leverage because the school is making money in those sports. I seriously doubt that Dartmouth basketball makes a profit.
When you take their share of the NCAA Tournament into account, I'd be shocked if they didn't make a profit.

For most schools, I would imagine football and men's basketball are the only 2 that are profitable. If that's even the case.

I could see a lot of other sports being dropped at schools, as they will have virtually no leverage if each sport makes its own union. Unless part of the CBA with football is to fund these additional sports. I could also see a bunch of football programs getting dropped by schools not wanting to deal with the union and CBA.

When you take their share of the NCAA Tournament into account, I'd be shocked if they didn't make a profit.
Their arena only holds 2,000 people and it's usually less than half full. I doubt they get more than 5,000 fans per season. Season tickets are only $90 and they don't have a big TV contract. The chances for Dartmouth to make the NCAA tournament are low and they have to share the revenue.

Look at coaches salaries, cost of arena, equipment, travel, etc. I can't imagine these teams make a lot of money.

Agree...plus, there is a reason why Dartmouth has a men's basketball team. There is a lot of brand awareness and marketing to gains of "soft dollars" not directly associated with spreadsheets. Dartmouth men's basketball isn't a charity.

I am waiting for a final 4 team to unionize the week before the tournament.

Will anyone be pushing that school or schools to drop hoops?

Reactions: tlbakernc
What Are the Disadvantages of Labor Unions?
  • Labor unions can discount worker education and experience. ...
  • Labor unions require ongoing dues and may require initiation fees. ...
  • Labor unions may participate in activities that workers disagree upon. ...
  • Labor unions discourage individuality.

What Are the Disadvantages of Labor Unions?
  • Labor unions can discount worker education and experience. ...
  • Labor unions require ongoing dues and may require initiation fees. ...
  • Labor unions may participate in activities that workers disagree upon. ...
  • Labor unions discourage individuality.
On the other hand, they are great at "Painting Houses."

I am waiting for a final 4 team to unionize the week before the tournament.

Will anyone be pushing that school or schools to drop hoops?
If it's a program the level of Dartmouth bringing in the money they bring in--yes

Do you suppose Dartmouth basketball is a money maker or money loser?

So, who's going to fund these unions? The vast majority that is poor college athletes without NIL deals? Union dues can no longer be forcibly removed from paychecks without someone actively joining, and whether you're union or not everyone still gets the same benefits.

Do you suppose Dartmouth basketball is a money maker or money loser?
by itself, probably a loser. But lets see here....

• went 10-18 last year, 28 games.
  • 23 of those games were on ESPN+
  • they play Ivy League
  • NCAA division 1
  • Best team they play is probably Princeton, who often goes to the championship tourney (unlike PSU)
  • Arena only holds 2100 fans
My guess is that they get a lot of dough from the Ivy league. They are also getting a decent TV contract for their games.

My guess is that they made around $1,134,595 in revenue and paid out $1,134,595 in total expenses, hard dollars. But every night they are on TV and are playing an Ivy League opponent is free advertising and brand awareness that they are an IVY LEAGUE team. That has to be worth millions to the school.

by itself, probably a loser. But lets see here....

• went 10-18 last year, 28 games.
  • 23 of those games were on ESPN+
  • they play Ivy League
  • NCAA division 1
  • Best team they play is probably Princeton, who often goes to the championship tourney (unlike PSU)
  • Arena only holds 2100 fans
My guess is that they get a lot of dough from the Ivy league. They are also getting a decent TV contract for their games.

My guess is that they made around $1,134,595 in revenue and paid out $1,134,595 in total expenses, hard dollars. But every night they are on TV and are playing an Ivy League opponent is free advertising and brand awareness that they are an IVY LEAGUE team. That has to be worth millions to the school.
Do you honestly believe that Dartmouth really gives a rats ass about wether they lose some money on men’s basketball? It’s an activity that alums and former players can fondly remember when eating dinner a few years down the line.

The union move is probably a social experiment dreamed up by some nut professor, and jumped on by some board and naive student players. If something happens great, if not no biggie. Just another thing they can reminisce about later on. Now if this was happening at Louisville, Kansas, Duke or Kentucky this might be interesting.

• Haha
Reactions: 19333lion
Do you honestly believe that Dartmouth really gives a rats ass about wether they lose some money on men’s basketball? It’s an activity that alums and former players can fondly remember when eating dinner a few years down the line.

The union move is probably a social experiment dreamed up by some nut professor, and jumped on by some board and naive student players. If something happens great, if not no biggie. Just another thing they can reminisce about later on. Now if this was happening at Louisville, Kansas, Duke or Kentucky this might be interesting.
I think it is a marketing play. I am sure the league pays them a lot of money. But I don't really care. It is clear to me that tOSU and PSU, among others, got to the point they are at due to sports excellence. PSU would be a cow pasture one-tenth the size if not for football.

It is odd Dartmouth would be the start, of all places. But these players and advisors could be setting them selves up for a Huge payday if successful. They could be the executives at one of the largest and most powerful unions in the nation.

Reactions: tlbakernc
I hope Dartmouth drops men's basketball. Eff-them! I support unions but not for this kind of crap. If they want to join a union, let them go apply to Ford or GM. Otherwise, go to class, go to practice, maybe play in games, and at the end of the day you've got an Ivy League education and diploma.

It is time to simply abandon ALL grant in aid for football and basketball and be done with it. Let everything be taxable and see where it goes. You want to play, you pay for the credits, the fees, the training table, the lodging, the equipment, the copyright fees for marketing. The rats will jump the ship quickly, the NFL will respond with a minor league and college football can return to its roots.

It is time to simply abandon ALL grant in aid for football and basketball and be done with it. Let everything be taxable and see where it goes. You want to play, you pay for the credits, the fees, the training table, the lodging, the equipment, the copyright fees for marketing. The rats will jump the ship quickly, the NFL will respond with a minor league and college football can return to its roots.
College football doesn't want that

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT