ADVERTISEMENT

Dabo walks the walk

2nd or 3rd, I agree. So you agree that finishing with an 11-2 record when playing in the 2nd or 3rd toughest division in the country is a very good result?
No, it's beating the teams your supposed to and losing to those that your supposed to. We should never finish lower than 3rd. 3rd is acceptable and if you want to say "good" I'll go with that. 2nd is very good. 1st is great.
Not sure where you're getting 11-2--we play 12 games--bowls don't mean anything

LOLOLOLOLOLOL. Check the record books, my dude. They definitely do count.
Because FBS needs people to continue to waste money going to them
If we go 10-2 I'm not going to change my opinion on the bowl game. Win or lose it won't matter as many kids won't even play.

I have never once said "fire everyone". This is year 9 not year 2 or 3. We need signature wins at this point. We need to see growth toward contending for titles and playoff births.

If we go 10-2 this year I won't be complaining at all but we have to follow that up next year. But I'm not going to pretend we have a signature (or even really a quality) win this year unless we beat Ohio State. And my scheduling Auburn they attempted to add a legit P5 opponent--they just couldn't have know they'd have Harsin on the sideline at that point.
No. You would focus on the 2.

That was very close on the last person interference call. Not sure what to say about that, but Barbers just blew 25 seconds off the clock without calling a time out. What was he thinking? Syracuse didn’t do themselves any favors today with being so undisciplined.
I guess for some reason he thought Clemson might call time out. And people complain about Franklin’s game management

it's definitely tough when you aren't getting reps in practice. I agree with that but when down big typically you have the underneath passes open all day. The reality is we all know for Clifford to sit Allar has to be special because Franklin doesn't want to make the change. That's not fair but reality. Dabo isn't Franklin--if we had Dabo I'm not convinced Clifford would even be on campus--he would have been "encouraged" to transfer for his last year elsewhere.
Really? What a stupid post about Dabo encouraging Clifford to leave.

Because FBS needs people to continue to waste money going to them
If we go 10-2 I'm not going to change my opinion on the bowl game. Win or lose it won't matter as many kids won't even play.
You just aren't a college football fan (and that's fine), but I wonder why you spend so much time on a CFB message board....

You just aren't a college football fan (and that's fine), but I wonder why you spend so much time on a CFB message board....
This is honestly your worst argument. You don't define what college football means and your take is antiquated just like the bowls

This is honestly your worst argument. You don't define what college football means and your take is antiquated just like the bowls
LOL. I have a much better historical perspective about what college football is, has been and should be than you do (this is clear based on your ridiculous posts, e.g. "the bowls don't matter" --- laughable).

LOL. I have a much better historical perspective about what college football is, has been and should be than you do (this is clear based on your ridiculous posts, e.g. "the bowls don't matter" --- laughable).
Stop talking about the past--deal with the present.
The bowls don't matter as you see kids sitting out. Tell me, if you win a bowl game who do you play next?
It's a scrimmage cities use to take money and the kids get a nice free trip assuming they aren't stuck playing in Detroit. But the game itself doesn't matter.

Stop talking about the past--deal with the present.
The bowls don't matter as you see kids sitting out. Tell me, if you win a bowl game who do you play next?
It's a scrimmage cities use to take money and the kids get a nice free trip assuming they aren't stuck playing in Detroit. But the game itself doesn't matter.
If you win the championship game who do you play next? The champion from Japan? LOLOLOLOLOLOL.

Your argument is nonsensical.

You could see players who have high draft status sitting out playoff games (especially if they go to 16+ teams) if they don't believe their team has a chance to win the whole thing, just as you have players skipping their senior year to go to the draft.

They are making business decisions and I respect those decisions. But to think that is somehow unique to the bowls is BS.

If you win the championship game who do you play next? The champion from Japan? LOLOLOLOLOLOL.

Your argument is nonsensical.

You could see players who have high draft status sitting out playoff games (especially if they go to 16+ teams) if they don't believe their team has a chance to win the whole thing, just as you have players skipping their senior year to go to the draft.

They are making business decisions and I respect those decisions. But to think that is somehow unique to the bowls is BS.
You're seriously comparing winning the championship game of the playoff to, say, the Alamo Bowl. Is this real life?

No one is going to sit out a playoff game because they're competitors. A bowl game is a scrimmage for SWAG and pride.

Entering the draft after your junior year isn't even close to the same thing.

You're seriously comparing winning the championship game of the playoff to, say, the Alamo Bowl. Is this real life?

No one is going to sit out a playoff game because they're competitors. A bowl game is a scrimmage for SWAG and pride.

Entering the draft after your junior year isn't even close to the same thing.
Both are terminal games. You say "who do you play next?" well, the answer for both is "no one."

I'm not saying they mean the same thing. You are saying the bowls mean nothing and that is incorrect. They count for the record books (both W-L and individual records) and they certainly matter for player development, bragging rights and conference pride. Little differences like this (bowl games) is why CFB is better than the NFL.

You seem to want to make CFB MORE like the NFL which is silly.

but he may have won those titles with zook's players

That's actually been something Meyer has exceled at: taking other coaches players and winning with them after the previous coach couldn't.

Bowling Green went from 2-9 to 8-3.

Utah 5-6 to 10-2.

Florida 7-5 to 9-3.

OSU 6-7 to 12-0.

Both are terminal games. You say "who do you play next?" well, the answer for both is "no one."

I'm not saying they mean the same thing. You are saying the bowls mean nothing and that is incorrect. They count for the record books (both W-L and individual records) and they certainly matter for player development, bragging rights and conference pride. Little differences like this (bowl games) is why CFB is better than the NFL.

You seem to want to make CFB MORE like the NFL which is silly.
Why do you care about the "record books"? They exist simply for people to spend money. What bragging rights? The SEC could lose every bowl game but if Georgia-Bama play for the title they have bragging rights. If Ohio State or Michigan win the National Title the Big Ten has bragging rights even if we go 1-7 in other bowls.

Meaningless games that are antiquated isn't what makes the sport better. It's actually the only thing preventing it from being great.

Why do you think every other collegiate sport should have a legit large playoff (see volleyball if you don't want to consider basketball) other the FBS? Including FCS and DII...

I'll give you all of those except OSU, where it wasn't really a turn around job

it was Tressel who took over a program that wasn't really getting it done and won a national title in two years. that was impressive
Agreed--Fickell wasn't ready in 2011. Tressel really got them to where they needed to be

I'll give you all of those except OSU, where it wasn't really a turn around job

it was Tressel who took over a program that wasn't really getting it done and won a national title in two years. that was impressive

'93-'98 was a highly successful run for the Buckeyes. '99 was similar to the year before Meyer took over, but they gave Cooper one more year before firing him vs Fickell being a pure stopgap between Tressell and Meyer.

Credit to Tressell, he won a title. Played for another. Meyer came in and did exactly the same though.

No, it's beating the teams your supposed to and losing to those that your supposed to. We should never finish lower than 3rd. 3rd is acceptable and if you want to say "good" I'll go with that. 2nd is very good. 1st is great.
Not sure where you're getting 11-2--we play 12 games--bowls don't mean anything

OSU was nowhere near the same level under Cooper. I don't remember ever thinking that PSU didn't have a chance against a Cooper team

Tressel took them to the level where they are, at the top. Meyer sustained it

We had just-out-of-his-prime Paterno coaching in the 90s. Even though we only won the conference once during this time frame, it still felt like we could win it.

Reactions: LandoComando
Yeah, I was thinking this as well. Tressel's arrival basically coincided with our worst football

Paterno from 2000 to 2008 was essentially what Kirk Ferentz has been the past decade. You play defense and special teams and hope the offense doesn't ruin things for you. Every so often you get a group of skill players who mesh and you end up with better seasons.

And while this sounds similar to his entire career, Paterno usually fielded excellent OLs from '68-'95. His teams were usually as great as the top RB was. '82 was the first title winning team to pass more than they rushed. Etc.

yeah and we had an osu that didn't win or play for national titles, and usually didn't defeat michigan

i would not say they were a top 5 program during that time

they certainly are now

They weren't as dominant then as they are since Tressel, but they did finish 2nd twice under Cooper. They were generally 6-14 otherwise until the '99.

The Michigan losses were his end though.

they were ok, but, i remember blowing them out in 94, going in there and winning a big game in 97, feeling like they never really had a chance against us in 99

most of that seems impossible since around '02
We won at home in 97. 2008 was our first win in Columbus since joining the Big Ten. The only other time we have won there in the B10 era was 2011

most of that seems impossible since around '02

Since '19 for me.

'16 was just an amazing 3 phase of football comeback. The defense shut them down in the 2nd half of that game.

'17 and '18 we finally had offensive bursts and late defensive failures cost us the game along with inability to offensively put the game away.

'19 and '20, we just didn't have the horses. '21 flipped on the fumble, but they answered all of our big plays.

This year seems like we need 100% best game of the year and we at best win by 3 or lose by 3 with that effort. Anything less and we lose by 6+.

Why do you care about the "record books"? They exist simply for people to spend money. What bragging rights? The SEC could lose every bowl game but if Georgia-Bama play for the title they have bragging rights. If Ohio State or Michigan win the National Title the Big Ten has bragging rights even if we go 1-7 in other bowls.

Meaningless games that are antiquated isn't what makes the sport better. It's actually the only thing preventing it from being great.

Why do you think every other collegiate sport should have a legit large playoff (see volleyball if you don't want to consider basketball) other the FBS? Including FCS and DII...
Your views on this are too nutty to argue with.

Please go be an NFL fan and leave college football to those people who actually like it.

Enjoy the rest of your fall. I'm done with you.

Your views on this are too nutty to argue with.

Please go be an NFL fan and leave college football to those people who actually like it.

Enjoy the rest of your fall. I'm done with you.
Keep living in the past. I love the "I'm done with you" nonsense

Who is Clemson starting at QB? Who started the South Carolina loss? Is dabo walking the walk? Should Clemson fire dabo?
His loyalty to DJU certainly hasn't helped him or his team
Klubnik's pick though against ND scared Dabo

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT