ADVERTISEMENT

"Coach Harbaugh told my mother 'If Matthew comes to Michigan, he will not be able to play football."

Once he's on an athletic scholarship, I'm fairly certain that you can't switch him to an academic scholarship. And has the B1G now gone to the 4 year scholarships, not the 1 year renewables? So, you either roll the dice that 1.) he recovers and can play at a high level, and 2.) he's not injury prone and injures it a third time... or you do what Harbaugh did, telling him he's free to pursue football elsewhere, or he's free to stay and get a full ride on an academic scholarship. He didn't have to offer the academic scholarship.

Would have to go back and research what Joe said about Milne, but how do we know that if Milne wasn't able to play, that Joe didn't plan on giving him an academic scholarship? And if he did, he would have been praised for making the best of a bad situation, his commitment to the kids and academics, etc. No one would have trashed him for not giving Milne an athletic scholarship in that case, when he made sure he got his education.

The only difference in this situation is the claim that the kid will play again at a high level. So far, we only have the kids word on that. Maybe he will, and he's free to play elsewhere. Apparently UM has made the determination he either won't or the risk is great he won't. If this was the SEC they would have just yanked the 'ship or grey shirted to see how he recovers, and then yank the 'ship after 1 year under the renewables clause if need be.

I feel bad for the kid. But he's not being prevented from trying to play ball elsewhere, and it's still early enough to pursue offers. He's not being denied an education at a top university. Lots of kids probably dream of playing ball at UM, Penn State, etc. but never get the chance for whatever reason. Sucks that he was so close... but he does have options.
there's an athletic scholarship called a 'medical', which means, you remain on scholarship but can not longer play for that school. Because you cant play, they don't count against the limit. Its so a kid that gets hurt/sick doesn't just get kicked to the curb. Now you can go somewhere else and if their DR's clear you, you can play again. There was a kid here at Marshall that the MU DR would not clear to play because of his back, they offered to keep him on as a medical, but he instead transferred to Temple, they cleared him and he played. It happens a fair amount of time.

Once he's on an athletic scholarship, I'm fairly certain that you can't switch him to an academic scholarship. And has the B1G now gone to the 4 year scholarships, not the 1 year renewables? So, you either roll the dice that 1.) he recovers and can play at a high level, and 2.) he's not injury prone and injures it a third time... or you do what Harbaugh did, telling him he's free to pursue football elsewhere, or he's free to stay and get a full ride on an academic scholarship. He didn't have to offer the academic scholarship.

Would have to go back and research what Joe said about Milne, but how do we know that if Milne wasn't able to play, that Joe didn't plan on giving him an academic scholarship? And if he did, he would have been praised for making the best of a bad situation, his commitment to the kids and academics, etc. No one would have trashed him for not giving Milne an athletic scholarship in that case, when he made sure he got his education.

The only difference in this situation is the claim that the kid will play again at a high level. So far, we only have the kids word on that. Maybe he will, and he's free to play elsewhere. Apparently UM has made the determination he either won't or the risk is great he won't. If this was the SEC they would have just yanked the 'ship or grey shirted to see how he recovers, and then yank the 'ship after 1 year under the renewables clause if need be.

I feel bad for the kid. But he's not being prevented from trying to play ball elsewhere, and it's still early enough to pursue offers. He's not being denied an education at a top university. Lots of kids probably dream of playing ball at UM, Penn State, etc. but never get the chance for whatever reason. Sucks that he was so close... but he does have options.

Sure you can, it's done all the time. Only catch is that the kid can't come back and play on the team. I'm guessing that's why Harbaugh is insistent on the kid signing the waiver.

One thing I can tell you is universally true. When people make statements they present them in the light which is most favorable to them. Based upon only that, and not hearing Harbaugh's side of the story, I believe the kid was treated fairly. Harbaugh's side would either confirm the kid's story, which would not change my opinion, or present a side which favored Harbaugh, in which case I would feel even stronger in my opinion. I will add that it is not a fact that we know what the surgeons said. We do not. We only know what the kid said they said, which is totally different. As for Milne, Joe Paterno did an honorable thing, but this is not about Joe Paterno. Now, this is not a courtroom, and if you want to think the worst about Harbaugh, you are obviously free to do so. I am not saying he is a saint, or had no ulterior motives. All I am saying is, having heard only the kid's side, I believe the kid was treated fairly. I will give you the last word on our exchange.

"I will add that it is not a fact that we know what the surgeons said. We do not. We only know what the kid said they said, which is totally different."

That is absolutely true. Yesterday, I had a conversation with my wife on a particular topic. Less than 30 minutes after our conversation she was relaying our discussion to another person when I heard her tell this person I said "such and such" about the topic. I jumped on her pretty quickly as her statements were pretty far off base of what I had actually said. Now, to be fair, she wasn't being intentionally misleading or devious. She simply misunderstood my words and repeated what she thought she heard. Yet, her version was far from reality.

So, we really don't know what the doctors or Harbaugh have said about the situation.

Reactions: fairgambit
there's an athletic scholarship called a 'medical', which means, you remain on scholarship but can not longer play for that school. Because you cant play, they don't count against the limit. Its so a kid that gets hurt/sick doesn't just get kicked to the curb. Now you can go somewhere else and if their DR's clear you, you can play again. There was a kid here at Marshall that the MU DR would not clear to play because of his back, they offered to keep him on as a medical, but he instead transferred to Temple, they cleared him and he played. It happens a fair amount of time.

Nope, no such thing. A school can continue to give financial aid someone who is medically unable to play, but it is entirely at the schools discretion. NCAA regs only provide for continuation of financial aid for one year or less for medical reasons.

"I will add that it is not a fact that we know what the surgeons said. We do not. We only know what the kid said they said, which is totally different."

That is absolutely true. Yesterday, I had a conversation with my wife on a particular topic. Less than 30 minutes after our conversation she was relaying our discussion to another person when I heard her tell this person I said "such and such" about the topic. I jumped on her pretty quickly as her statements were pretty far off base of what I had actually said. Now, to be fair, she wasn't being intentionally misleading or devious. She simply misunderstood my words and repeated what she thought she heard. Yet, her version was far from reality.

So, we really don't know what the doctors or Harbaugh have said about the situation.

And different doctors have different opinions. Doubt that you can find a doctor that would guarantee that someone would not have lingering effects from an injury..

Nope, no such thing. A school can continue to give financial aid someone who is medically unable to play, but it is entirely at the schools discretion. NCAA regs only provide for continuation of financial aid for one year or less for medical reasons.
Let me re phrase your honor, Generically called a Medical, especially by those you receive one. 10-1 ask any of players, and they will say, 'oh he's on medical'.

Correct me on this. You can't offer a player an academic scholarship and have him on the roster, waiver or not. Can you imagine a situation that Ohio State brings in 10 players on academic schollies + an additional 25 as athletic scholarships. Or how it would work in Penn State's favor to do so. Stockpiling players this way isn't permitted.

Correct me on this. You can't offer a player an academic scholarship and have him on the roster, waiver or not. Can you imagine a situation that Ohio State brings in 10 players on academic schollies + an additional 25 as athletic scholarships. Or how it would work in Penn State's favor to do so. Stockpiling players this way isn't permitted.

You cannot recruit someone, offer him an "academic" scholarship, and have him on the roster. Un-recruited players who receive academic scholarships and then walk one are fine. Joe Iorio was a case in point.

The fact remains that if he is on a scholarship for anything other than football, if he ends up playing football, it will count against their scholarship limits. It's a classy move by Michigan to offer the kid.

I have mixed emotions on this. The injury hurts the kids opportunity and allows UM to change things up. They are at least trying to soften the blow by giving him a free ride. The problem for the kid is that he's now hurt his chances with other programs.

tOSU had a situation like this with a kid last year. The difference was that they had him come in early and he was already on campus when they pulled the switcharoo (after they oversigned, BTW).

Taking a stand, I am OK with what UM did here and feel that the kid needs to either accept it or move to another program. This is why we need an early signing period.

At Ohio State when they announced that the player that he would not be allowed to play football because he failed his physical, they were already at the 85 limit. As I stated previously, the NCAA does not allow a college team to give a physical to a player until he is enrolled, something very different from how the NFL does things.

Or maybe, just maybe Hrabaugh is actually looking out for the kid? I mean 2 major surgeries on the same knee and your not even out of HS yet can't be good. The next one and it could be bad. Doctors are wrong, right?

Micheal Mauti had 3 knee surgeries to the same knee and made it to the NFL and Mark Fields with Carolina Panthers had 3 knee surgeries on the same knee and has become a probowl player. What information did Harbaugh use to come to this judgement? It certainly wasn't based on a doctors opinion. Had it been I could understand him telling the kid he can't play football at UM. Harbaugh decision is based upon the fact he flipped Kareem from O$U. My opinion would be exactly the same if this was Franklin pulling this crap.

Reactions: Roethlisberge
I have a higher opinion of Coach Harbaugh than that. I think he is looking at the big picture here. A running back having those kinds of injuries now is far different than alot of other position. Precisely why they dont last long in the NFL. This kid has had 2 of them already.

Reactions: rojo36
This is everything that Joe fought against for 61 years. UM and Harbaugh are a disgrace.

For being a "disgrace", this board cannot shut up about them now can they? The jealousy oozes from several of the posters here.

Harbaugh gave the kid 3 months plus to find a new school, or get a free education at Michigan. If it were my kid, I would be disappointed, but I would also be thankful that my child could still get a free education at one of the best schools in the entire world....not just in the USA.

Micheal Mauti had 3 knee surgeries to the same knee and made it to the NFL and Mark Fields with Carolina Panthers had 3 knee surgeries on the same knee and has become a probowl player. What information did Harbaugh use to come to this judgement? It certainly wasn't based on a doctors opinion. Had it been I could understand him telling the kid he can't play football at UM. Harbaugh decision is based upon the fact he flipped Kareem from O$U. My opinion would be exactly the same if this was Franklin pulling this crap.

It's called UPSIZING!

Harbaugh isn't offering him his football scholarship (despite being cleared by medical professionals), he's offering him a scholarship that (and this is the key) won't count against UM's football scholarship limit. This kid's dream was obviously to play football at UM, and Harbaugh is taking that away because of an injury that, again, medical professionals have stated he would be able to recover fully from and play football again at a high level. If anyone thinks Harbaugh is withdrawing the football scholarship out concern for the kid, that's beyond naive imo.
If you think that kid's future is in football you're the one being naive.

He's had 3 major knee injuries, a shoulder injury, and an ankle injury playing on the HS level. He's made of glass. You really think he's going to hold up on the D-1 level?

Michigan is offering him a debit free education at a quality institution. That's far from stealing a kid's dream.

Reactions: TwistedChaos
I don't really have an opinion about what Harbaugh did, but to clear up the question about whether Joe would have switched Milne to an academic scholarship, Milne tried to play his freshman year and couldn't because he was too weak and didn't know if he would ever be able to play. He was kept on athletic scholarship and decided to give it another try the following year and was able to do it. So Joe did not pull him off athletic scholarship even when he couldn't play. Just for clarification.

I don't really have an opinion about what Harbaugh did, but to clear up the question about whether Joe would have switched Milne to an academic scholarship, Milne tried to play his freshman year and couldn't because he was too weak and didn't know if he would ever be able to play. He was kept on athletic scholarship and decided to give it another try the following year and was able to do it. So Joe did not pull him off athletic scholarship even when he couldn't play. Just for clarification.
That's good to know. But if he hadn't been able to play after the second year, Joe still had the option. Whether he would have used it, I don't know.

I still think this is Harbaughs call. Its not like this is at the last second this decision was made. Kid has 3 months to take someone else up on an offer. I am sure there are many PITTS and Rutgers of the world who would let him play.

Michigan while I hate playing against them on Saturdays, STILL has a respectable college reputation.

I dont think anything callous is being done here. Harbaugh may know more than you or me or anyone else not in the know.

If you think that kid's future is in football you're the one being naive.

He's had 3 major knee injuries, a shoulder injury, and an ankle injury playing on the HS level. He's made of glass. You really think he's going to hold up on the D-1 level?

Michigan is offering him a debit free education at a quality institution. That's far from stealing a kid's dream.

Guess your reading compression could use some improving. The article never stated he had 3 knee injuries. My post never stated football was his future. I said it was his dream to play D1. If he's so fragile as you stated, why did extend a scholarship offer. Funny how it took Kareem's verbal for Harbaugh to realize he's fragile.

I'm glad Joe, O'brien, Vikings, and Saints didn't tell Mauti to get lost after his knee injuries. Guess some dreams are worth pursing...

Guess your reading compression could use some improving. The article never stated he had 3 knee injuries. My post never stated football was his future. I said it was his dream to play D1. If he's so fragile as you stated, why did extend a scholarship offer. Funny how it took Kareem's verbal for Harbaugh to realize he's fragile.

I'm glad Joe, O'brien, Vikings, and Saints didn't tell Mauti to get lost after his knee injuries. Guess some dreams are worth pursing...

Why is it so hard to believe some programs are hesitant to take a chance on someone with a knee injury?

Harbaugh doesnt buy the kids future wont be impacted. Its his call. It is not a last second decision. If the kid wants to play D1 fooball he can go play elsewhere. Sheesh this not Penn State. It is Michigan and frankly I am with Harbaugh on this one. He has had 2 knee surgeries already. Let someone else gamble on him.

We don't know all the facts, but we can make a pretty good educated guess based on what we do know. (And theorizing that Harbaugh is only doing it out of concern for the kid is not only not a good educated guess, but downright laughable imo.) It seems the kid, whose dream of playing football for UM is being taken away, does not agree that it's fair.
You should have stopped at you don't know all the facts. The kid hasn't been on the field for more than a couple games a season since his freshman year and is now is missing his entire senior year. Its more than the knee injuries but a string of injuries to multiple parts of his body that have shown to be degenerative. On top of that, some of them never healed properly nor have they been rehabed properly. I feel bad for the kid but he is not being completely forthright in the interview. There is a slim chance he gets back on the field but it is slim and every single time he has come back he has gotten hurt again...not after some time of health but right away...this last time he didn't even play a single real game as he got hurt in the first scrimmage he participated in...and if I'm not mistaken right at the beginning of it.

So careful with your use of the word laughable.

Kareem has never verbaled. This has been going on for some time. Get your facts at least a little straight before you talk like you know anything at all.

Reactions: TwistedChaos
You should have stopped at you don't know all the facts. The kid hasn't been on the field for more than a couple games a season since his freshman year and is now is missing his entire senior year. Its more than the knee injuries but a string of injuries to multiple parts of his body that have shown to be degenerative. On top of that, some of them never healed properly nor have they been rehabed properly. I feel bad for the kid but he is not being completely forthright in the interview. There is a slim chance he gets back on the field but it is slim and every single time he has come back he has gotten hurt again...not after some time of health but right away...this last time he didn't even play a single real game as he got hurt in the first scrimmage he participated in...and if I'm not mistaken right at the beginning of it.

So careful with your use of the word laughable.

I know that kid has a much better chance of getting back on the field than a kid diagnosed with Hodgkin's Disease, but that didn't stop Joe Paterno from maintaining Brian Milne's football scholarship. As I made quite clear, it was the stark contrast to the 2 coaches that struck a chord with me with this story. And that stark contrast is indisputable.

I know that kid has a much better chance of getting back on the field than a kid diagnosed with Hodgkin's Disease, but that didn't stop Joe Paterno from maintaining Brian Milne's football scholarship. As I made quite clear, it was the stark contrast to the 2 coaches that struck a chord with me with this story. And that stark contrast is indisputable.
Honest question. When did he come to PSU and were the 85 scholarship limits already in place?

This is a classy move for a football factory. Mich doesn't have to do this but probably thought the academic scholarship would shut the kid up so that it doesn't get out to recruits that loyalty is expected but not reciprocated.

The bottom line is that the kid got hurt, the Harbough had buyer's remorse and better options. That's a good lesson because it will happen in the NFL or in XYZ company. College football is big business. A school sticking by a kid is the exception now a days and there are few programs that continue to be a family like that.

I'm not sure you understand what stark contrast means. The exact opposite of the Milne situation would be to completely cut him loose and tell him they would do nothing to help provide the kid with a future. Actually, technically the exact opposite is probably the kid isn't even hurt and Harbaugh and company just cut him loose. Stark contrast is not making sure the kid still has an opportunity for an education and a healthy life which unfortunately the coaches and their advisors feel can only happen without football.

This situation actually reminds me more of a Carr recruit from a decade plus ago - a 4* OL who doctors (during his freshman physical) found a medical condition which basically meant he had a significantly increased chance of dying on the field...and not from contact but just one day running around and BOOM DEAD! Of course he was disappointed and found another doctor who said he could play. Another school took that at face value and he transfered there. That school's doctors gave him a physical and they came to the same conclusion that the Michigan doctors did: that he might DIE ON THE FIELD. So he shopped himself around again and found a third school. Guess what? That school's doctors wouldn't let him play either (fyi: this all happened over a 3 year period). Meanwhile the story started as the Michigan doctors were meanie pants because another doctor said it would be ok.

Now ask yourself a question: if the kid and his family are so confident that he would be able to get back to full health why are they considering taking the offer of a medical schollie? Think about that for a second...if him getting back on the field was a given then wouldn't they have simply told Harbaugh to stick his offer where the Sun don't shine and find a new school for him? He still might end up elswhere (if I had to bet I think he does) but there is a reason he is thinking about it first.

Fwiw...I came by your guys board this past summer during the summer when the whole Pipkins thing happened (senior NT whose career was derailed by injuries and was asked to take a medical). At that time I said this will not be the last time you hear something like this. I will say it again on this one...this is not the last time you'll hear something like this (out of the Michigan camp). The next one likely to hit (it's been going on behind the scenes for months and I'm sure 99% of Michigan visitors on this board can guess who I am talking about...not really a secret in Michigan circles) will play right into the Michigan haters hands...and to be honest I wouldn't blame those who are skeptical about this one...though I hope most understand there is more than one side to every story...

RB Commit Matt Falcon Unsure About Michigan Future

ALLEN TRIEU

Southfield (Mich.) running back Matt Falcon had his senior season ended by injury, now the Michigan commit talks about the option the Wolverines presented to him and what he may do with his future.

Matt Falcon was poised for a big senior season, ready to prove to the world he was one of the best backs, not only in the state, but in the country.

Then, during a routine block, the Southfield senior's leg got rolled up on. Just like that, his season was over.

What he did not realize at the time, is that, not only would the injury end his senior season, but it would also affect his recruitment. Falcon tore his ACL and injured the same knee that ended his sophomore season. Wanting to make sure the surgery was done right, he went to Michigan, the school he was committed to since July, for the procedure.

Despite a successful surgery, recent conversations with the Wolverines have still left him with doubts about his football future.

"I want to play football and I can still play at a high level," he said, "but at this time, I'm divided because Michigan is only giving me one option. Coach Harbaugh told my mother quote 'if Matthew comes to Michigan, he will not be able to play football.' But they would pay for my college education for academics.

"I would have to sign a waiver saying I can't play even though top surgeons told me, my family and Coach Harbaugh I will be able to get back on the field and play at a high level."

Looking into other programs is an option, but at this time, Falcon prefers not to speak on that.

Matt Falcon

Southfield HS Southfield, MI
6'1" / 215 lbs / 4.45s

He says he is not decommitted from the Wolverines. In fact, he wrestled with publicizing his status with Michigan in the midst of an early season surge that had the team ranked as high as No. 12 in the polls. With questions mounting about his commitment, the Wolverines recruiting other running backs and the team now on a bye week, Falcon felt the time was right to answer some of those questions.

"I just want to apologize to the Michigan fans. I've worked hard my whole life to hopefully be given the opportunity to play football at the University of Michigan, and at this time that's being taken away from me."

http://www.scout.com/college/michigan/story/1600996-falcon-unsure-about-michigan-future

There (UM) were honest and still offered him a free ride. What is the problem here?

Honest question. When did he come to PSU and were the 85 scholarship limits already in place?
Yes. 85 'ships was around '90 and Milne played early to mid 90s.

Look, just because Joe didn't do something, doesn't mean it's wrong. Joe stood by Milne, it's a great story, had a great outcome. That doesn't mean that what Harbaugh is doing with this kid is wrong. And what if Milne hadn't played, had never gone to the NFL? What if he quietly got his degree, got an average job, and never distinguished himself otherwise? Would anyone even remember him?

Look, just because Joe didn't do something, doesn't mean it's wrong. Joe stood by Milne, it's a great story, had a great outcome. That doesn't mean that what Harbaugh is doing with this kid is wrong. And what if Milne hadn't played, had never gone to the NFL? What if he quietly got his degree, got an average job, and never distinguished himself otherwise? Would anyone even remember him?
Well said!

Thanks. I wasn't sure and I wasn't asking to make a comparison at all. I think you did a great job summing it all up in this post. Thanks again

I agree with what you said. I will add that most of these situations are unique. While they might have certain commonalities the details are different and a staff has to make a judgement call on what is best to do for the kid, program, community, etc.

What amazes me is that over the last whatever years there have been 100s of guys who have been head coaches of D1A programs. Go back far enough and we are in the thousands. Yet, if you were to believe the home message boards there have been only 2 or 3 over the last X years who have a soul (obviously their own coaches) and the rest sold their's to the devel. There have been some bad people in CFB but the majority got to where they are because they have gotten kids and parents to trust them by their actions...they might not have an exact match to the Milne story but they have plenty of stories of how they helped kids.

They took his commitment before his 3rd injury.

3 seasons in a row he has had knee injuries. He didn't even make it out of fall camp his sophomore and senior seasons. He played in 6 games as a junior before an MCL sprain ended his season.

He's played in 6 high school games in 3 seasons and suffered 3 knee injuries. The chances he ever plays a meaningful down of D-1 ball at any school are minuscule.

You can't fault Harbaugh for doing this.

Reactions: aged_wolverine
One thing I can tell you is universally true. When people make statements they present them in the light which is most favorable to them. Based upon only that, and not hearing Harbaugh's side of the story, I believe the kid was treated fairly. Harbaugh's side would either confirm the kid's story, which would not change my opinion, or present a side which favored Harbaugh, in which case I would feel even stronger in my opinion. I will add that it is not a fact that we know what the surgeons said. We do not. We only know what the kid said they said, which is totally different. As for Milne, Joe Paterno did an honorable thing, but this is not about Joe Paterno. Now, this is not a courtroom, and if you want to think the worst about Harbaugh, you are obviously free to do so. I am not saying he is a saint, or had no ulterior motives. All I am saying is, having heard only the kid's side, I believe the kid was treated fairly. I will give you the last word on our exchange.

I'm at a complete loss. Even if the spin is in the favor of the kid as he presents it...I'm at a loss. He has a scholarship. This is a classic continuation of the devaluing of a scholarship to any world class institution. Whatever Harbaugh's motivations are he did not take away the fruits of whatever hard work the kid may have done in the classroom and prepare him for life.

Dylan Trout lost his leg last April and had earned a wrestling scholarship to Wyoming. Guess what? Wyoming honored the scholarship and Dylan is enrolled to get a degree.

What's the worst thing that has happened to this kid? He won't be playing football at UM? But....he CAN get a degree at UM. PLAY somewhere else. 2 ACL's torn? He's still walking and apparently going to run, and some say he can still play football. So go wear a different uniform.....

Reactions: fairgambit
I'm not sure you understand what stark contrast means. The exact opposite of the Milne situation would be to completely cut him loose and tell him they would do nothing to help provide the kid with a future. Actually, technically the exact opposite is probably the kid isn't even hurt and Harbaugh and company just cut him loose. Stark contrast is not making sure the kid still has an opportunity for an education and a healthy life which unfortunately the coaches and their advisors feel can only happen without football.

The stark contrast is Paterno being willing to give up a football scholarship for a kid who had a 50/50 shot at living, let alone the astronomical odds of Milne ever playing football again. What did Harbaugh give up? Exactly nothing. So yes, that is a stark contrast. If you can't see it, well, *shrug*.

The stark contrast is Paterno being willing to give up a football scholarship for a kid who had a 50/50 shot at living, let alone the astronomical odds of Milne ever playing football again. What did Harbaugh give up? Exactly nothing. So yes, that is a stark contrast. If you can't see it, well, *shrug*.
It's a contrast, but as I said before, it doesn't make what Harbaugh is doing wrong. If you can't see that, well...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT