ADVERTISEMENT

CFB Championship for Division 1 teams by geography

Ranger Dan

Gold Member
Aug 31, 2003
York PA
I propose that there should be an Division 1 CFB championship playoff, with one team representing 8 different geographical regions of the country (with no regard to their conference affiliation) is what would be best to determine a national championship. There teams eligible for the playoffs would be all 64 teams from current Power 5 conferences. I loved how this worked out so evenly... 8 regions, with 8 teams in each region. Then again, ND would be left out and people wouldn't stand for that. I added ND and BYU in, but this resulted in two regions having 9 teams. I'll post the specific regions below.

The idea would be that these teams would get points for wins and losses and for the wins/losses of their opponents, not factoring in wins against non-power five teams. The team in the region with the most points makes the playoffs.My thought is to have this be some sort of relegation system, where poor performers move down and teams from non power five conferences move up. The specific criteria for relegation would have to be determined.

Reactions: fairgambit
Mid Atlantic:
Duke
NC State
North Carolina
Wake Forest
Clemson
South Carolina
Virginia
Virginia Tech

North:
Illinois
Northwestern
Indiana
Purdue
Michigan
Michigan State
Minnesota
Wisconsin
Notre Dame

Northeast:
Maryland
Boston College
Rutgers
Syracuse
Ohio State
Penn State
Pittsburgh
West Virginia

Pacific:
California
Stanford
UCLA
USC
Oregon
Oregon State
Washington
Washington State

Plains:
Colorado
Iowa
Iowa
Kansas
Kansas
Nebraska
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State

South:
Alabama
Auburn
Arkansas
Kentucky
Louisville
Missouri
Tennessee
Vanderbilt

Southeast:
Florida
Florida State
Miami (FL)
Georgia
Georgia Tech
LSU
Mississippi State
Ole Miss

Southwest:
Arizona
Arizona State
Baylor
TCU
Texas
Texas A&M
Texas Tech
Utah
BYU

Last edited:
Reactions: fairgambit
I saw a mistake where I have LSU and the two Mississippi schools in the Southeast, and Auburn and Alabama in the South. My main guiding principal was geographic continuity, so this would have to be corrected. My second principal was to not split up teams within a single state. Anyone have any suggestions to resolve.

It could work. I think I would throw in a regional playoff between the top 2 teams (making 16 teams over all) but other than that, I would prefer it to what we have now.

I kinda like it too. It might have to be tweaked to account for non-FBS games and encourage games between two good teams. I like the regional relegation to permit the Boise State type teams to get into regions and potentially compete for the title. Alternatively, you could have as many teams in a region that exist in that region and still take the top points scorer (or 2 as fairgambit has suggested).

(oh yeah, you had a typo: 2 teams are listed as Iowa; I suspect one is Iowa State)

I kinda like it too. It might have to be tweaked to account for non-FBS games and encourage games between two good teams. I like the regional relegation to permit the Boise State type teams to get into regions and potentially compete for the title. Alternatively, you could have as many teams in a region that exist in that region and still take the top points scorer (or 2 as fairgambit has suggested).

(oh yeah, you had a typo: 2 teams are listed as Iowa; I suspect one is Iowa State)

I saw two Kansas's as well, one's probably K State?

I saw a mistake where I have LSU and the two Mississippi schools in the Southeast, and Auburn and Alabama in the South. My main guiding principal was geographic continuity, so this would have to be corrected. My second principal was to not split up teams within a single state. Anyone have any suggestions to resolve.
Flip ND and OSU because of traditional rivalries.

I'm still thinking on your LSU Mississippi problem. I noticed it right away too though, but overall I love this.

Got it make the southeast 9 and the south west 8, and south 8:

South:
Alabama
Auburn
Arkansas
Missouri
LSU
Mississippi State
Ole Miss
Texas A&M

Southeast:
Florida
Florida State
Miami (FL)
Georgia
Georgia Tech
Kentucky
Louisville
Tennessee
Vanderbilt

Southwest:
Arizona
Arizona State
Baylor
TCU
Texas
Texas Tech
Utah
BYU

I know it separates A&M and Texas but screw it they did in real life...

I'll think about your suggestion of Tennessee and Kentucky teams to the Southeast, but there shalt be no seperation of teams within a given state. Also, tOSU's traditional rivals mean nothing to this. They can still play Michigan every year... in fact, this way they can both make the playoffs.

I'll think about your suggestion of Tennessee and Kentucky teams to the Southeast, but there shalt be no seperation of teams within a given state. Also, tOSU's traditional rivals mean nothing to this. They can still play Michigan every year... in fact, this way they can both make the playoffs.
Somewhere Delaney just popped one...

Reactions: Ranger Dan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT