ADVERTISEMENT

BREAKING NEWS - Part of the ceiling has collapsed inside Schwab Auditorium

Thankfully, it appears injuries were minor. The news story says: "About 500 people were in the auditorium as part of one of the Spend a Summer Days by Undergraduate Admissions, a program for prospective students and their families."
Not to make light of this, but I can just hear one of those prospective students saying to their parents on the way out "Geeze, all that stuff we heard about the Board of Trustees destroying this place must really be true."

Had one class in Schwab, do not remember at all what class it was. I do remember it was one that I only went to on occasion though.

Had one class in Schwab, do not remember at all what class it was. I do remember it was one that I only went to on occasion though.
I had Thermodynamics in Schwabb.

I just couldn't grasp that course and did just okay on the first two exams, but when Finals came, I just couldn't get motivated to study that crap...but apparently the Finals Gods were looking after me.

To this day I have no idea how I did so well on that final. I opened my report card expecting a "C" and couldn't believe that I actually received an "A"in the course. I never did bother going to pick up my final exam Blue Book out of fear that the Professor made some kind of mistake.

I just couldn't grasp that course and did just okay on the first two exams, but when Finals came, I just couldn't get motivated to study that crap...but apparently the Finals Gods were looking after me.

To this day I have no idea how I did so well on that final. I opened my report card expecting a "C" and couldn't believe that I actually received an "A"in the course. I never did bother going to pick up my final exam Blue Book out of fear that the Professor made some kind of mistake.
I think you owe it to your high school Shakespeare teacher. I'm sure you've been observing and facilitating plenty of heat, temp change, work and energy in the cabana.

I think it was ME22 for me as the thermo course in Schwab. Weird this is the last part of the course was about gears, if I remember it correctly. But, that was back in Fall 1981 I think. Many brain cells lost since then. It was my only course in Schwab. My roomate had a Intro to Movies, or something like that in Schwab. Said it was the hardest course that he ever took as a Computer Science major

Never had a class in Schwab but that movies class, Arts 10 or something like that was also my toughest class. D is for diploma

Reactions: mn78psu83
I think you owe it to your high school Shakespeare teacher. I'm sure you've been observing and facilitating plenty of heat, temp change, work and energy in the cabana.
Thoust is correct.

Whenever I'm hot (and I am frequently hot, not because of my physique, but where I live and my "alternative employment"....but I digress) I still get confused as to whether I'm exothermic or endothermic. I don't really care since that was apparently information that was trapped in my gray matter for "Finals purposes only". o_O

Last edited:
Reactions: mn78psu83
I think it was ME22 for me as the thermo course in Schwab. Weird this is the last part of the course was about gears, if I remember it correctly. But, that was back in Fall 1981 I think. Many brain cells lost since then. It was my only course in Schwab. My roomate had a Intro to Movies, or something like that in Schwab. Said it was the hardest course that he ever took as a Computer Science major
ME22 it was and Schwabb Auditorium in the Fall of 1981 would have been the time and place. I'm getting this eerie feeling that the instructor switched our grades.

Last edited:
Reactions: CentexLion
A section of plaster about 2' x 8' fell from the underside of the balcony and hit two prospective students. A male refused treatment. A female was transported to the hospital to receive stitches and staples for a head laceration. She returned later to finish SASD. Schwab is now closed until repairs are made.

A good buddy has always mentioned the nasty/difficult Schwab movie class from the mid-70's. Said when the lights were turned off, the balcony erupted with the pffftt of beer cans being opened, smuggled into Schwab under winter coats. He said he "had Theater Arts 109 in Schwab - saw Citizen Kane and Midnight Cowboy from that balcony! And plenty of beer was guzzled too!"

ME22 it was and Schwabb Auditorium in the Fall of 1981 would have been the time and place. I'm getting this eerie feeling that the instructor switched our grades.
Dang

And if those grades were not changed, you'd be living the life of luxury here in Austin with supermodels at your beckon call, and I'd be cleaning Peetz's yeast infected hot tub. Glad they were switched.

I had an ADMJ course in there. I used to sit up there and sprawl out with my feet up on the balcony ledge. I think I got a B. One of the TA's I think was named (ironically) Miranda.

Schwab is supposed to be haunted. They used to have Mass in there too. Maybe the Obelisk finally fell and the vibrations knocked down the ceiling.

I have many fond memories of dozing off in that balcony during Bio 102. The registrar who put that class at 8 am was a sadist. To this day I have no idea how I got an A in that class..

A section of plaster about 2' x 8' fell from the underside of the balcony and hit two prospective students. A male refused treatment. A female was transported to the hospital to receive stitches and staples for a head laceration. She returned later to finish SASD. Schwab is now closed until repairs are made.

Someone is getting free tuition! They should try to get the BOT to tack on $3M so the school can just "Move On".

A good buddy has always mentioned the nasty/difficult Schwab movie class from the mid-70's.

Comm 150, the art of cinema. It wasn't hard, unless you thought the point was to watch movies and answer questions about the movies on the test.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT