ADVERTISEMENT

Breakdown of Penn State athletics financials

Found this by accident. Fairly detailed of income and expenses.

Have no idea how accurate it is but interesting details.

In the "did they make money" category, it looks like this is what we've been told all along: football funds the other sports. tOSU says this as well.

I'd like to see a breakdown on what is spent for men's versus women's sports (minus football).

Overall, our football program is very healthy from a rev standpoint.

I'll also add that PSU makes a ton in PR and brand awareness due to football that is NOT reflected in the hard dollars. The soft dollars keep PSU one of the largest universities in the nation. If you take football away, I am willing to bet enrollment goes down substantially.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Spin Meister
good break-down of income vs expenses.......
🤔
I wonder how the $billion in revenue for stadium restorations be generated? Beer sales?
good question.

Here in CLE revenues were made in two ways. The first was a "sin tax" which was more taxes on things govt didn't want you doing like buying tobacco products and booze. The second was introducing a lot more high-end/corporate seating. With attendance dropping, in most venues, the idea of promoting ways for corporations to "entertain" (along with the tax deduction for those expenses) is a big revenue boost. it is also clear that the stadium will become "multi-use" with more concerts and other stuff. I suspect we'll see restaurants and other things built into the stadium complex. Also, in CLE, they took out seats and made areas to "linger". I call them "meat markets" as they are open areas where people can meet and greet. This also lengthens the "experience" as people can go there way before the game and stay a bit after. That raises revenues as well. I'd also expect something like this to sprout up outside the stadium....create a pay-per-tailgate for those that don't have an F-150 and a tent.

And the university has to consider not just increasing revenues, but also protecting against losing revenues by keeping the fan experience up to date. Going to the ATL venue for the Peach Bowl was quite a fan experience in terms of protection against weather, food, booze and many other benefits the Beav just doesn't have.

One other issue of the Beav that is a problem is access. It is quite a problem to park in a post-rain bog with grass-covered utility poles on the ground and pig fences everywhere. Of course, you get that privilege for $50 a car or more! But lots of older folks struggle with the "Appalachian Trail" experience one gets stumbling to the stadium for lot XXY.

Lots to do. Frankly, they are suffering from not investing $10s of millions each year on upgrades and now have a Billion dollar upgrade in front of them.

In the "did they make money" category, it looks like this is what we've been told all along: football funds the other sports. tOSU says this as well.

I'd like to see a breakdown on what is spent for men's versus women's sports (minus football).

I'll also add that PSU makes a ton in PR and brand awareness due to football that is NOT reflected in the hard dollars. The soft dollars keep PSU one of the largest universities in the nation. If you take football away, I am willing to bet enrollment goes down substantially.
Football is similar to all infrastructure including museums and recreational facilities for students. Once you've added those things it's almost impossible to quit paying for their upkeep.

PSU could drop back to DII/Ivy League football which would lower revenues to the point where they could no longer maintain facilities.

They could close a museum but they would be stuck with maintenance costs unless they would sell the real estate and allow private businesses to operate on university property.

My point is that it's difficult to go backwards.

Last edited:

As for your last paragraph.......Thank you Joe Paterno.

Found this by accident. Fairly detailed of income and expenses.

Have no idea how accurate it is but interesting details.

PSU athletics isn't really supposed to "make money."

The more money they make, they more money they have to spend on athletics. That can be in the form of salaries (old folks like me remember when PSU didn't pay their assistant coaches very well), facilities, or operating costs (e.g. PSU's training table is top end; that can happen because PSU has that money to spend).

The article seems to indicate that their net ($126K) isn't very much, but I'd argue that it shouldn't be.

The gross is what's important. And that's a lot.

PSU athletics isn't really supposed to "make money."

The more money they make, they more money they have to spend on athletics. That can be in the form of salaries (old folks like me remember when PSU didn't pay their assistant coaches very well), facilities, or operating costs (e.g. PSU's training table is top end; that can happen because PSU has that money to spend).

The article seems to indicate that their net ($126K) isn't very much, but I'd argue that it shouldn't be.

The gross is what's important. And that's a lot.

The athletic department should try to make money every year, because there will be many years they show a loss. And there will always be the next project the athletic department is trying to fund.

Reactions: Yanks49
That expenditure needs a further breakdown.
I am sure it is broken down deeper in the actual document. This guy linked to just read through it all znd did his isn’t analysis.

And I am sure he is getting a huge boost in hits on his site and is wondering why all these people are hitting his post?🤷🏿‍♂️😻

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT