ADVERTISEMENT

Best PSU Moment Poll

What was the best moment in PSU wrestling?

• Bo pinning Myles to clinch the team title

Votes: 128 70.3%
  • Cenzo pinning IMAR

Votes: 14 7.7%
  • Cassar beating Moore in the dual (19-18)

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • Nevills holding Snyder to a decision in the dual (19-18)

Votes: 4 2.2%
  • James English, All-American

Votes: 10 5.5%
  • Kolat pinning Zadick

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • DT’s Olympic Gold

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Writht over Kilgore in Finals

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Wright pinning Gambrall

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • 27-15 December 3, 1986

Votes: 7 3.8%

• Total voters
Yeah, the only single moment I can remember with such a quick and dramatic turnaround was the Auburn-Alabama "Kick 6" play that ended the Iron Bowl 10 (?) years ago.
“4th Down… National Championship………Intercepted Giftopaulis!!!

Yes PSU was winning, but the overwhelming favorite had driven from own 20 to our 8, had all the momentum, with the Heisman winner feeling it…

Would have been interesting to see that ESPN “odds to win” tracker as that drive evolved.

He had 2 losses in his redshirt year, too, but yeah, undefeated in his four championship years. The irony is that Nolf also would have been an undefeated 4-timer (except for one injury default) if not for I-Mar, so it goes both ways.
Had Jason been undefeated at the time of the injury loss, you gotta wonder if he would have gutted it out.

Had Jason been undefeated at the time of the injury loss, you gotta wonder if he would have gutted it out.
One of my favorite moments was a braced up Nolf absolutely putting it on Micah Jordan in the semis with the title in the balance. He was all business and left no doubt after the first TD. Just annihilated him . That 4th session was a huge turn of the tide

Last edited:
One of my favorite moments was a braced up Nolf absolutely putting it on Micah Jordan in the semis with the title in the balance. He was all business and left no doubt after the first TD. Just annihilated him . That 4th session was a huge turn of the tide
Poor Micah Jordan, and Alec Pantaleo (were there others?)--after years of annihilation by Zain, they move up a weight to only find the same thing.

Reactions: STAND with PRIDE
How bout him AND Grandpa Mike BOTH forfeiting out of 5th place match at Bigs hahaha
I just love Ryan having his team spend time on that promo which ran throughout NCAAs. You know Ryan was insanely confident backstage - already picking out where the trophy would go.

He didn’t account for Cael and crew lurking in the tall grass

Poor Micah Jordan, and Alec Pantaleo (were there others?)--after years of annihilation by Zain, they move up a weight to only find the same thing.
Poor KeShawn Hayes, lost the Avoid Zain Wrestle-Off to McKenna, then the next year lost the Avoid Nolf Wrestle-Off to Micah Jordan.

Reactions: danoftw
Not sure either, but thought it was in 3rd

Damn brain

Regardless, Im sure he could have found a way. He looked shell shocked (see Ed Ruth) when it happened.

How good is Dake that Taylor couldn’t beat him and now neither can Nolf? I’m not his biggest fan (influenced by him beating my favorite wrestlers) but damn is he good.

Reactions: hlstone
Nothing beats "the first time" something happens...and I was lucky enough to be present 70 years ago when Penn State became the first eastern team to win an NCAA wrestling team championship - and at Rec Hall...

Anyone remember when Tom Ryan said 5 champions = a great team. But that doesn't make us a great program and said a great program is when people love each other, basically implying that's not us.

Bo's moment will forever be number 1 for Penn State, he won an individual title, a team title and gave the ultimate slogan for Penn State

Reactions: danoftw and mcpat
Yeah that was one of the few times I immediately thought "up yours Tan Tom"!

Generally he is a pretty good man, a good coach, and I respect him.

However; then he goes off and lets the craziness out, and I want to send him a tin foil hat. He certainly has entertained us over the years with the complete drivel he invents on the fly to define his 'great program'. From positive infinity, to robes, to black shirts, to pin chains, to... I wonder sometimes if the kids just roll their eyes when he comes up with such bullshit?

Trinkets and tokens do not a great program make! Results? Now that is a different matter.

PS - great friggin movie

Reactions: danoftw
Yeah that was one of the few times I immediately thought "up yours Tan Tom"!

Generally he is a pretty good man, a good coach, and I respect him.

However; then he goes off and lets the craziness out, and I want to send him a tin foil hat. He certainly has entertained us over the years with the complete drivel he invents on the fly to define his 'great program'. From positive infinity, to robes, to black shirts, to pin chains, to... I wonder sometimes if the kids just roll their eyes when he comes up with such bullshit?

Trinkets and tokens do not a great program make! Results? Now that is a different matter.
Which wrestler climbed up a water tower or some such on his watch.

Bo's moment will forever be number 1 for Penn State, he won an individual title, a team title and gave the ultimate slogan for Penn State
The emotional upheaval thru that bout made almost everyone watching, regardless of side, go from "Oh no!" to "Oh yeah!" (and vice versa) in an instant. Then Bo sustains the "Oh yeah!" even longer with his memorable speech. That was a fun night.

This interview contains many opinions ….

Talks about dean being brought in over beard , uses the words assassin .

Talks about Carl winning at all costs , does he himself need to change

Three point takedown

Dual meet championships

It’s 22 minutes I think , gets boring at times but well worth it .

One could listen and come away with the impression several things said are throwing shade at someone.

Anyone remember when Tom Ryan said 5 champions = a great team. But that doesn't make us a great program and said a great program is when people love each other, basically implying that's not us.

Who could forget, and I'm glad you found it! I'd love to also find the pics of the fancy bus they took to Rec Hall and Snyder's tweets about bringin' hell if you have those handy too.

Three point takedown

Dual meet championships

One could listen and come away with the impression several things said are throwing shade at someone.

Ryan has it exactly backward: Dean recruited PSU, not the other way around.

And here we go again with him: he brought in McKenna.

Reactions: Bosox2004

Three point takedown

Dual meet championships

Worth it? Really? 22 minutes of bloviating? No thanks. Maybe he is a great leader, but he honestly makes that harder to believe every time he opens his mouth . . .

He certainly has suffered in his life, and I won't begrudge him anything wrt that. But man o man does he rub me the wrong way.

Last edited:
Ryan has it exactly backward: Dean recruited PSU, not the other way around.

And here we go again with him: he brought in McKenna.
Dean and Mesenbrink sought out PSU and came without any promises. PJ Duke recruited himself. Nagao was recruited but declined Slumlord Millionaire's truckload of money for the better room. It goes on and on. Cael doesn't even have to recruit anymore. The program sells itself and is self-sustaining.

Nothing beats "the first time" something happens...and I was lucky enough to be present 70 years ago when Penn State became the first eastern team to win an NCAA wrestling team championship - and at Rec Hall...
Wow...very cool. My buddy's father-in-law was Don Frey. He was a captain of that '53 team and his twin brother was also on it. Don passed just a couple of years ago.

Worth it? Really? 22 minutes of bloviating? No thanks. Maybe he is a great leader, but he honestly makes that harder to believe every time he opens his mouth . . .

He certainly has suffered in his life, and I won't begrudge him anything wrt that. But man o man does he rub me the wrong way.

Yea I still found it worth it though. The bloviating around the dual meet championship and how it could grow the sport was interesting not saying I agreed just interesting .

His reasoning for not liking the three point takedown I.e it doesn’t change someone’s aggression I found fascinating . I mean I get the point but come on I gotta think it changes how people will wrestle but maybe I’m just naive .

But yea like I said in my post: when several comments come across as shade being thrown I can see your negativity . For me it just seems like sour grapes .

Translation: If you have numerous, say 5, champions, the team doesn't love each other, enjoy wrestling, or have fun...so they're not really "great".

What a knob!

Was TanTom high?

Tom doesnt wear his jealousy well. He wants it so bad, but it somehow eludes him.
As for his question of whether rule changes motivate athletes - has anyone seen any stats for the year? Are takedowns up in a statistically significant way?

Reactions: Ski and danoftw
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT