ADVERTISEMENT

Best PSU Moment Poll

What was the best moment in PSU wrestling?

• Bo pinning Myles to clinch the team title

Votes: 128 70.3%
  • Cenzo pinning IMAR

Votes: 14 7.7%
  • Cassar beating Moore in the dual (19-18)

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • Nevills holding Snyder to a decision in the dual (19-18)

Votes: 4 2.2%
  • James English, All-American

Votes: 10 5.5%
  • Kolat pinning Zadick

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • DT’s Olympic Gold

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Writht over Kilgore in Finals

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Wright pinning Gambrall

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • 27-15 December 3, 1986

Votes: 7 3.8%

• Total voters

mcpat

Gold Member
Mar 13, 2021
Tell me others and I’ll add them.

But it’s got to be something one of wrestlers did (and not hiring Cael, for example.)

Sorry for the recency bias.

Almost included Ramos over Lee as a joke.

Reactions: hlstone and danoftw
Have to include either Quentin Wright vs Kilgore in the finals or vs Grant Gambrel

Not one of the best but was rewarding watching Ruth beat that Stanford kid at NCAA’s
Can’t seem to edit the typo. Sorry.

Q pinning Gambrall?

PSU beating Iowa in 1986 at Rec Hall was pretty spectacular too. The roof blew off Rec Hall when Jim Martin made his opponent quit.
Yes , thanks . Good thing I didn’t try and spell the Stanford kids name. All these years he has no name just the Stanford kid.

Reactions: mcpat
I don’t think I’ve ever yelled as loud as I did when Cenzo pinned IMAR. Best part was Mrs. Mcpat telling a fellow PSU wrestling fan’s wife about it at church the next morning and she responding that her husband also woke the kids up with his screaming over it.

I had to go with Bo. The pin & the win were amazing, and the post match interview was probably the best I've ever seen. I wonder how many kids started dreaming about winning individual & team titles at PSU after watching that match & interview? That was a competition win and a recruiting win!

Last edited:
I don’t think I’ve ever yelled as loud as I did when Cenzo pinned IMAR. Best part was Mrs. Mcpat telling a fellow PSU wrestling fan’s wife about it at church the next morning and she responding that her husband also woke the kids up with his screaming over it.
I went with Cenzo, because leading up to it, not many thought he had a prayer to win, let alone the pin.

I voted the same as most—but there were so many special moments in the dual vs the bucknuts that year too. Kuhn’s headlock, Mark nodding his head while riding bojo out, Bo’s “WWZD” moment securing a bonus pt….

Conaway vs Graff is up there too.

1986 was my intro to the team too—I never thought it would be beat. But it has a few times over.

I voted the same as most—but there were so many special moments in the dual vs the bucknuts that year too. Kuhn’s headlock, Mark nodding his head while riding bojo out, Bo’s “WWZD” moment securing a bonus pt….
In the final seconds of 19-18, Nevills sprawls and defends Snyder’s final shot. Everyone goes crazy because the dual is won. Except Cael motions for Nevills to spin around to score a TD. That’s one of my favorite “little thing” moments.

Does it have any competition for best Penn State loss?
Manville filled in admirably up two weight classes, keeping matches close against highly ranked guys as a freshman and Bo Pipher did a heck of a job against Deakin, Robb, Lewan and Young. But nothing with the stakes so high. Not even close.

Not quite the same, but a “best loss” candidate could be the 2021 PSU Wrestling Team at NCAAs.

Went 4/4 in the finals, two of which were over Iowa favorites, and (as if we needed it) provided one of the best free advertisements for why people come to Penn State to wrestle.

Q pinning Gambrall?

PSU beating Iowa in 1986 at Rec Hall was pretty spectacular too. The roof blew off Rec Hall when Jim Martin made his opponent quit.
We beat the best team on the planet. I had no tickets but snuck in with a couple friends. Awesome night

Reactions: bourbon n blues
I like watching the guy in the green shirt in the first row. He is really fired up and then he quietly turns around and sits down.
I haven't been able to find it since, but, ESPN ran a 2nd feed that had cameras on the parents. I always went back and watched that feed, as it is amazing to see their real time reactions to their sons. Watching Mrs. Diakomihalis is an added bonus.

Tell me others and I’ll add them.

But it’s got to be something one of wrestlers did (and not hiring Cael, for example.)

Sorry for the recency bias.

Almost included Ramos over Lee as a joke.
Although Bo will win.. another was in 1988 when Rob Meloy, Jim Martin’s high school teammate, pinned his Iowa opponent to provide the winning points in a 19-18 Penn State win in Iowa City

I like watching the guy in the green shirt in the first row. He is really fired up and then he quietly turns around and sits down.
It’s funny because he’s fat!

fPg5sc.gif

Reactions: bourbon n blues
I also like the bald guy off to the right in the grey sweatshirt with his hand on his head.

It's hard to find an example anywhere in sport, with so much on the line, where elation turned to agony, and visa versa. We all got to live it!
I have never seen anything like this. A comeback from x amount of points or runs takes time for example. This was seconds and it affected the team race along with the individual title. I don't know of another sport like this with two rivals from the two rival teams deciding both individual and team titles in one moment. The last possible moment.

Reactions: nittinsc
I have never seen anything like this. A comeback from x amount of points or runs takes time for example. This was seconds and it affected the team race along with the individual title. I don't know of another sport like this with two rivals from the two rival teams deciding both individual and team titles in one moment. The last possible moment.
13 seconds from Martin initiating his double leg to the pin.

Behind the bald guy was CJ Magrum - wrestled 184-97 I believe for OSU and got tossed around by our guys. Anyway, he was a huge turd on Twitter when I was able to lurk there, so it’s funny to see his rueful smile as their hopes died.

So much going on in the clip

Yeah, the only single moment I can remember with such a quick and dramatic turnaround was the Auburn-Alabama "Kick 6" play that ended the Iron Bowl 10 (?) years ago.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT