ADVERTISEMENT

Benefits of re-watching

tboyer

Sep 25, 2002
I didn't much enjoy the game yesterday but on the re-watch, in Q3 from about 13:10 to 2:00, Penn State played some very solid football. It wasn't beautiful but it was gritty under pressure and that's what you need in big games. NW was playing tough and PSU out-toughed them during this stretch.

-- Game is tied, 3rd and 2 deep in own territory, kind of a clutch situation. Allar puts a ball into a tight window to Warren to get the 1st down.
-- 1st down, Allar throws the ball away rather than force it. I love how he doesn't care about his completion %age. His patience and team orientation shows real maturity.
-- 3rd and 10, with good pass-blocking by both tackles, Allar throws a pea about 20 yards in the air, perfectly located to KLS on deep sideline which sets up the winning TD.

-- (7:45) They stone NW on 4th and inches, awesome job by the D-tackles getting low.
-- No drive but 47 yard field goal is perfectly hit. We have a FG kicker for sure.
-- PSU is up 10 points, which is usually when a defense goes into cruise control, but PSU D doesn't let up a bit. If anything they dial up the pressure even more and just crush them. Really good effort.
-- Zion Tracy makes a great play to foil the fake punt. That is a talented player and also reflects some good special teams coaching.
-- (around 4:00) Short field drive, but probably the best drive of the day, no negative plays, no mistakes. NW defense is finally broken and the TD is on a beautifully thrown flare to Singleton. Those flares are not easy to throw but Allar makes them look easy. This puts PSU up 17 and effectively ends the game the way PSU D is playing.

Anyway, NW played tough, they didn't blow the game, PSU had to take it from them, and they did in the 3rd quarter through an accumulation of good solid plays.

There are a few games each year that teams should dominate but for whatever reason they struggle with. Penn State is no different. In fact, in years prior, we might've lost one of those struggle bus games. This year, the games we haven't looked particularly sharp in, we've won. Not just won, but won handedly. Examples:
Illinois- we beat them 30-13
NW- we beat them 41-13

And we have covered the spread in all of them. I think we are doing juuuuuust fine.

Remember FSU, ranked #5 in the AP, won ugly in a game that they were outplayed and outgained by BC a few weeks ago. Rutgers hung with UM for an entire half a few weeks ago. It happens. In years past we could have either lost this game or squeaked by, but we actually won 41-13. We need to keep perspective.

Reactions: dswartz and hlstone
There are a few games each year that teams should dominate but for whatever reason they struggle with. Penn State is no different. In fact, in years prior, we might've lost one of those struggle bus games. This year, the games we haven't looked particularly sharp in, we've won. Not just won, but won handedly. Examples:
Illinois- we beat them 30-13
NW- we beat them 41-13

And we have covered the spread in all of them. I think we are doing juuuuuust fine.
This was true for PSU even in the MNC seasons. The 1982 had no business struggling with Alabama (8-4), much less losing to them. They also played so badly the first half of the Rutgers (5-6) game they went to the locker room to a chorus of boos. The 1986 team tried their best to lose to Cincinnati (5-6) and only beat UMD (5-5-1) by 2.

Coming off an emotional performance against Iowa (white out + bad blood from the last meeting) and playing against a team that no one sees as anything but bad, the team's performance was flat and hard to watch. I don't know how good the team is, but I'm not gauging basing on an ugly 4 TD win.

UGA beat Auburn 27-20 in a game where Auburn rushed for 200+ (1st time since '18 Dawgs give up 200 on the ground) and could barely pass. Auburn might not win 6 games this year. UGA has been the best recruiting and coached team for 3-4 years now. How did this occur?

Because it's football. You don't just show up and dominate weekly because of accolades.

UGA beat Auburn 27-20 in a game where Auburn rushed for 200+ (1st time since '18 Dawgs give up 200 on the ground) and could barely pass. Auburn might not win 6 games this year. UGA has been the best recruiting and coached team for 3-4 years now. How did this occur?

Because it's football. You don't just show up and dominate weekly because of accolades.
The concerns being expressed pertain to what people have seen over the first 5 games, not just yesterday.

Also, Auburn > Northwestern.

Reactions: Ian
The concerns being expressed pertain to what people have seen over the first 5 games, not just yesterday.

Understand. I think it's all intentional minus blocking down field just being weak. And UGA > everyone. I think the highs here are too high and the lows to low.

Or they pertain to what their expectations are, regardless if they’re realistic or not.

At this point expectations are that we don't lose to OSU for the 11th time in the last 12 years.
First we have not had an undefeated/untied team since 1994. Secondly we have the top defense in D1 in yards allowed and I think third in points allowed.

Each season is a separate event and it happens that psu is in the same division as two other top five teams. How many times was psu favored in those games?

Psu has a good shot but nothing is guaranteed.

At this point expectations are that we don't lose to OSU for the 11th time in the last 12 years.
No, expectations by many on here is an undefeated season every year. And it’s not enough to go undefeated, we have to dominate every team we play from start to finish, win every quarter, and do so with 300+ rushing yards and 300+ passing yards. Do you not read this board?

Reactions: dswartz
First we have not had an undefeated/untied team since 1994. Secondly we have the top defense in D1 in yards allowed and I think third in points allowed.

Each season is a separate event and it happens that psu is in the same division as two other top five teams. How many times was psu favored in those games?

Psu has a good shot but nothing is guaranteed. He

No, expectations by many on here is an undefeated season every year. And it’s not enough to go undefeated, we have to dominate every team we play from start to finish, win every quarter, and do so with 300+ rushing yards and 300+ passing yards. Do you not read this board?
I've been around for a while and I think the consensus expectation is that we can compete for a BiG title every 5 years or so.

Psu has a good shot but nothing is guaranteed.
If I remember correctly, that 1994 team, which had two Heisman Trophy finalists, a Biletnikoff winner, and maybe the best o-line in PSU history, struggled in the first half against Temple at Franklin Field, struggled to put away IU on the road, and came out at Illinois totally unprepared to play. So, if that great veteran team had several underwhelming performances, the current team which still is developing always was going to have some of them too.

With that said, it probably was a good thing that this team, which is overall fairly young, was faced with some adversity, and actually dealt with it pretty well. However, the offense needs to start to grow and expand in the next three weeks or else we know what the outcomes are going to be in the big two games and maybe even the game in College Park.

Remember FSU, ranked #5 in the AP, won ugly in a game that they were outplayed and outgained by BC a few weeks ago. Rutgers hung with UM for an entire half a few weeks ago. It happens. In years past we could have either lost this game or squeaked by, but we actually won 41-13. We need to keep perspective.
Saw where PSU has scored 30 or more points in 12 straight games which is tops in the college football. Despite the critics, they must be doing something right.

Reactions: dswartz
If I remember correctly, that 1994 team, which had two Heisman Trophy finalists, a Biletnikoff winner, and maybe the best o-line in PSU history, struggled in the first half against Temple at Franklin Field, struggled to put away IU on the road, and came out at Illinois totally unprepared to play. So, if that great veteran team had several underwhelming performances, the current team which still is developing always was going to have some of them too.

With that said, it probably was a good thing that this team, which is overall fairly young, was faced with some adversity, and actually dealt with it pretty well. However, the offense needs to start to grow and expand in the next three weeks or else we know what the outcomes are going to be in the big two games and maybe even the game in College Park.
Joe used to say that you can’t be a great team unless you have to overcome adversity in a game to win. I wouldn’t put yesterday’s win in that category but it was a nice win on the road IMO.

I was in Bloomington, IU was put away easily. They scored 15 late points (4th qtr final 4 minutes against backups).

I was at Illinois, that year as well. We turned the ball over in our own territory the first two times we had the ball and gave up a third TD to go down 21-0 in the first quarter. We came back to beat a very good defensive team that had three All-Americans in the front 7 on the road after spotting 21 points.

PENN STATE 35, INDIANA 29​

BLOOMINGTON, IND., NOV. 5 -- Indiana's second-string quarterback gave second-ranked Penn State its biggest scare of the season.
The Nittany Lions, who lost their No. 1 ranking to Nebraska last week, gave up two touchdown passes to Indiana's Chris Dittoe in the final two minutes but held on to beat the Hoosiers, 35-29, today.
It was the season's closest game for Penn State (8-0, 5-0 Big Ten), which hadn't given up so many points in a game all season. Indiana (5-4, 2-4) lost its third straight game.
Kerry Collins passed for 213 yards and two touchdowns and Ki-Jana Carter rushed for 192 yards and an 80-yard touchdown, and Penn State seemed to have the game in control, leading 35-14 with six minutes to go.

"They did a lot of things," Collins said. "We have to really credit Indiana for the defensive scheme they came in with. And I don't think we were as sharp as we were last week. Put those two things together and we weren't as sharp as we have been in the past."

Penn State was coming off a 63-14 victory over Ohio State.

Dittoe, who replaced starter John Paci in the second quarter, passed five yards to Eddie Baety for a touchdown with 1:49 left. After a punt, Indiana went 80 yards and scored again on Dittoe's 40-yard pass to Dorian Wilkerson as time expired. Dittoe, who had two earlier touchdown passes to Ajamu Stoner, then hit Stoner on a two-point conversion pass to end the game.

Dittoe was 21-for-35 for 279 yards.

Carter's touchdown run earlier in the fourth quarter was the only one of three long scoring plays not to be called back by a Penn State penalty.

Indiana came within 28-14 on Dittoe's second touchdown pass to Ajamu Stoner with 6:22 left in the final period. But Carter's 80-yard run, matching the longest of his career, came on the first play after the next kickoff.

On the next series, after a 37-yard pass to Alex Smith, Dittoe was sacked and fumbled, but an 89-yard return by Brian Gelzheiser was nullified by a face-mask penalty. Three plays later, Dittoe hit Baety for the score to start the Indiana comeback.

Last edited:
Reactions: bourbon n blues

This is exactly right. The best thing for Penn State is to have faced some adversity before OSU and Michigan. OSU had to play under stress against ND. Michigan has not really had any adversity yet. But it is valuable to have to play under pressure before we face the two viable teams on our schedule this season.

Reactions: bourbon n blues

True. It all comes down to perspective. This season, like most others, comes down to Ohio State and Michigan.

While perspective changes over time, it’s now just about mid season, (can’t believe it). Schedules so far-

Penn State-
1. WVU, (4-1)- win 38-15
2. Delaware, (3-1)- win 63-7
3. Illinois, (2-3)- win 30-13
4. Iowa, (4-1)- win 31-0
5. Northwestern, (2-3)- win 41-13

Ohio State-
1. Indiana, (2-3)- win 23-3
2. Youngstown St, (2-2)- win 35-7
3. Western Kentucky, (3-2)- win 63-10
4. Notre Dame, (5-1)- win 17-14

Michigan-
1. East Carolina, (1-4)- win 30-3
2. UNLV, (4-1)- win 35-7
3. Bowling Green, (2-3)- win 31-6
4. Rutgers, (4-1)- win 31-7
5. Nebraska, (2-3)- win 45-7

True. It all comes down to perspective. This season, like most others, comes down to Ohio State and Michigan.

While perspective changes over time, it’s now just about mid season, (can’t believe it). Schedules so far-

Penn State-
1. WVU, (4-1)- win 38-15 Decent win
2. Delaware, (3-1)- win 63-7 Wins over Stony Brook & St Francis
3. Illinois, (2-3)- win 30-13 Meh
4. Iowa, (4-1)- win 31-0 Solid Win
5. Northwestern, (2-3)- win 41-13 Weak effort

Ohio State-
1. Indiana, (2-3)- win 23-3 Unimpressive
2. Youngstown St, (2-2)- win 35-7 Meaningless
3. Western Kentucky, (3-2)- win 63-10 Meaningless but decisive
4. Notre Dame, (5-1)- win 17-14 Top 10 win

Michigan-
1. East Carolina, (1-4)- win 30-3 Meaningless
2. UNLV, (4-1)- win 35-7 Meh
3. Bowling Green, (2-3)- win 31-6 Meh
4. Rutgers, (4-1)- win 31-7 Solid win
5. Nebraska, (2-3)- win 45-7 Solid win
Comments above

OSU's resume looks best with win over ND.

Michigan's wins over Rutgers and Nebraska are better than PSU's wins over Illinois & Northwestern.

PSU's win over Iowa was impressive.

Comments above

OSU's resume looks best with win over ND.

Michigan's wins over Rutgers and Nebraska are better than PSU's wins over Illinois & Northwestern.

PSU's win over Iowa was impressive.
I’d say Ohio State has the best win but I think Michigan is playing the best football right now.

It looks like Michigan’s D is playing very well as they haven’t given up over 7 points in a game. Penn State’s offense needs to be performing at a higher level when that game rolls around.

Ohio State is tough to judge. 3 cupcakes and a last second win at Notre Dame. The Maryland game this week should give some better insight.

Reactions: bdgan
I’d say Ohio State has the best win but I think Michigan is playing the best football right now.

It looks like Michigan’s D is playing very well as they haven’t given up over 7 points in a game. Penn State’s offense needs to be performing at a higher level when that game rolls around.

Ohio State is tough to judge. 3 cupcakes and a last second win at Notre Dame. The Maryland game this week should give some better insight.
I think that Maryland is more of a test for Ohio State than the spread indicates. We will know everything we need to know about Ohio State after both Notre Dame and Maryland.

Reactions: psu00
I think that Maryland is more of a test for Ohio State than the spread indicates. We will know everything we need to know about Ohio State after both Notre Dame and Maryland.
Ohio State will have no trouble vs Maryland. The game will not be close, seen this movie before.

This is the way it will go. OSU will be playing their best football by the time we come calling. They will be undefeated and I will go out on a limb here and say we will get by the Minutemen and also be undefeated.

We will all have the same questions we have now because the UMass game tells us nothing. We will certainly play better at Columbus than at Illinois or NW. Much more motivated, electric environment, opportunity to prove something, on and on. We matchup with OSU physically so the game will be close. To me it all comes down to whether we have the mental fortitude to overcome all the past horrors at that place. Do we know how to win? Can we finally make the winning play in the clutch instead of them?

Ohio State will have no trouble vs Maryland. The game will not be close, seen this movie before.

This is the way it will go. OSU will be playing their best football by the time we come calling. They will be undefeated and I will go out on a limb here and say we will get by the Minutemen and also be undefeated.

We will all have the same questions we have now because the UMass game tells us nothing. We will certainly play better at Columbus than at Illinois or NW. Much more motivated, electric environment, opportunity to prove something, on and on. We matchup with OSU physically so the game will be close. To me it all comes down to whether we have the mental fortitude to overcome all the past horrors at that place. Do we know how to win? Can we finally make the winning play in the clutch instead of them?
I agree we’ve seen the same movie, but they do have an excellent veteran quarterback . Anything can happen with a great QB.

I agree we’ve seen the same movie, but they do have an excellent veteran quarterback . Anything can happen with a great QB.
I just don't see Maryland having a snowball's chance in hell of beating them in Columbus. Veteran QB or not.

I've been around for a while and I think the consensus expectation is that we can compete for a BiG title every 5 years or so.
Then why is there a melt down every time we have a close win, a dominant win if we struggle at all in the first half, or a loss every year, not just every five years?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT