ADVERTISEMENT

Are we wrestling Sunday?

Am I reading too much into the press releases? The Rutgers one said wrestling program taking a pause due to positive test(s) among tier one personnel, this MSU just says postponed due to an abundance of caution. Does it mean something or are they just getting lazier in the press releases and giving out less info. The woman V-ball release said virtually the same thing, just a few lines. But no actual pause announced this time.

I might be trying to read too much into it....

Reactions: regularfan
Missing a second match on a row really blows.

Well for Iowa, it has to really sting fearing that their best team in a decade might not get the chance to prove it once again.

The best we can hope for is this won't continue to escalate and result in the Big10 or NCAA pulling the plug again on one or both tourneys, but I will bet some whole teams or at least a handful of title contenders will have to miss them due to an I'll timed quarantine.

I think we are almost assured of seeing watered down versions, with many key matchups for naught. Let's hope we start hearing rumors of some relief tied to qualifying minimum number of matches, or moving one or both tourneys. I don't think there is room in our current schedule to make up these duals.

One positive note. Kerk picked the right time to have surgery and rehab.

UGH. Such a huge bummer. I guess the odds are catching up with us after the Football squad was able to run a completely uninterrupted season.

The only thing that ran uninterrupted in the PSU football season was the other team into the endzone. Too soon?

Was hoping to see lots of PSU wrestling this year to heal the football wounds.

PSU has found a way to keep their rankings.
Minnesota last night demonstrated its ranking.

slam-door.gif

The only thing that ran uninterrupted in the PSU football season was the other team into the endzone. Too soon?

Was hoping to see lots of PSU wrestling this year to heal the football wounds.
Not too soon at all; joke about anything you’re want. Either about the football team that was one of only two B1G teams to play their complete schedule or the wrestling team that is the only B1G team to not compete so far.

I think most of the winter sports are going to have issues. So far at PSU, MVB and WGYM have avoided issues, but their seasons just started. (I haven't really checked on swimming or on fencing.) PSU WVB, per the below release, is still having issues, though when they canceled the two at the end of this week, I thought they would be challenged to be able to play the match next week.

Reactions: ccdiver
Does penn state always practice as the same time as the senior level guys? If so then you'd think that would change at least until the season is over. Psu has to get this shit together. Are y'all the only big time wrestling school that has yet to wrestle?

I think most of the winter sports are going to have issues. So far at PSU, MVB and WGYM have avoided issues, but their seasons just started. (I haven't really checked on swimming or on fencing.) PSU WVB, per the below release, is still having issues, though when they canceled the two at the end of this week, I thought they would be challenged to be able to play the match next week.

• Wow
Reactions: Hoosier Lion
Michigan vs. Penn State on February 7 is already marked as postponed on the Michigan website: https://mgoblue.com/sports/wrestling/schedule/2020-21

They are almost going to have to redo the schedule with more tris and some quads to get everybody matches I would imagine. Maybe they don't care about getting everybody nine duals either.
So, will they reschedule the entire tri meet or would PSU travel to Wisconsin for a regular dual that day, as it was supposed to be at Ann Arbor.

Does penn state always practice as the same time as the senior level guys? If so then you'd think that would change at least until the season is over. Psu has to get this shit together. Are y'all the only big time wrestling school that has yet to wrestle?
I would think as cautious as the school is being (with athletics anyway) that the NLWC is practicing elsewhere,hopefully without any of our rostered guys.

I would think as cautious as the school is being (with athletics anyway) that the NLWC is practicing elsewhere,hopefully without any of our rostered guys.

Social media would indicate that is not the case.

This is such a cluster. What happens when a conference championship is cancelled or if one or two teams can't attend?

I would like to see both tourneys get bumped to April, maybe even May.

Has anyone seen any reference as to when college athletes might gain access to the vaccines?

Reactions: bmw199
This is such a cluster. What happens when a conference championship is cancelled or if one or two teams can't attend?

Has anyone seen any reference as to when college athletes might gain access to the vaccines?
When the wrestlers become members of the high-priority classes. You know: first responders? Nope. Health care workers? Nope. Over 65 and living in restricted housing? Nope. Teachers? Nope. Between 16 and 65 with underlying comorbidities? Nope.

college athletes will get vaccine when their number comes up, no special priority; likely not until sometime between Sept and Dec

When the wrestlers become members of the high-priority classes. You know: first responders? Nope. Health care workers? Nope. Over 65 and living in restricted housing? Nope. Teachers? Nope. Between 16 and 65 with underlying comorbidities? Nope.
But the great state of PA places you in the 1(a) category if you are a smoker. Right there with first responders and health care workers. Go figure.
giphy.gif

college athletes will get vaccine when their number comes up, no special priority; likely not until sometime between Sept and Dec
Agreed for non-revenue sports. For football and basketball ... they should but it's less obvious that they will.

Phase 1B includes "education workers." This is not limited to teachers -- it's about an industry, not a profession. (My wife works at a nearby college, is not a professor, and has her shot scheduled.)

Cynical Me expects universities to attempt to get football and basketball players into Phase 1B. Schools took a financial beating and will look to recover sooner, or at least earlier certainty.

One line of thinking: a player coaching at a school-run camp is staff and needs the shot -- etc., loopholes limited only by imagination.

If the schools don't do this, it's not out of any sense of societal obligation -- it's because they fear such a designation could lead to players getting paid.

Reactions: Shpsu
But the great state of PA places you in the 1(a) category if you are a smoker. Right there with first responders and health care workers. Go figure.
giphy.gif
Better yet: asthma, including severe asthma, is not designated a high-risk condition for a RESPIRATORY disease -- therefore dropped to the bottom bucket.

The obvious solution: asthma sufferers need to start pounding stogies, stat.

To play it safe, they should also eat like NFL linemen -- since obesity and severe obesity also qualify for Phase 1A.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

to be fair, smokers tend to be more susceptible to lung issues like those caused by covid. i doubt we'll see too many people take up smoking just to get a covid vaccine.

giphy.gif
Im still wondering why there is a 1a/b/c then 2, 3, 4 and so on. Why not just 1-2-3-4-5-6? Did they have the teeshirts and signs already printed and somebody say, oh shit, we forgot the SMOKERS??

Agreed for non-revenue sports. For football and basketball ... they should but it's less obvious that they will.

Phase 1B includes "education workers." This is not limited to teachers -- it's about an industry, not a profession. (My wife works at a nearby college, is not a professor, and has her shot scheduled.)

Cynical Me expects universities to attempt to get football and basketball players into Phase 1B. Schools took a financial beating and will look to recover sooner, or at least earlier certainty.

One line of thinking: a player coaching at a school-run camp is staff and needs the shot -- etc., loopholes limited only by imagination.

If the schools don't do this, it's not out of any sense of societal obligation -- it's because they fear such a designation could lead to players getting paid.
I think that would be an incredibly tone deaf strategy by universities (getting vaccines for revenue sport athletes).
Highly doubt it happens.

Reactions: ccdiver
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT