ADVERTISEMENT

Abdul Carter

Obli, this may be a naive question, but when you say "he didn't pay for parking," is it certain he was aware that he was not authorized to park in that lot? Was it immediately obvious that any non-resident parking there would be in jeopardy of losing his car in the middle of the night?

It could be that Carter's guilt is unquestionable. It could be that he acted like an entitled thug, has no excuse, and it's all as simple as that. As you know, I am by instinct and nature a law-and-order guy so it's not like I feel sympathy for people violating the rules.

However, just to play devil's advocate, suppose that for whatever reason he did not expect his car to be towed. So he hears the alarm and walks out the building to find some guy in the process of confiscating the vehicle in the middle of the night. This is a scenario that has a high potential for ugliness...whether the vehicle in question belongs to a 21-year old linebacker, a 45-year old insurance agent, or a 75-year old grandmother.

The account posted in the OP says Carter threatened to call 911, which a person doesn't typically do when they are knowingly in the wrong. What if the tow operator had said, fine, call 911, the police will explain it to you. I mean, it's possible that some tow operators feel a certain sense of entitlement too, but in circumstances like those described, common sense dictates caution and prudence even if you're in the right legalistically speaking.

To be clear, this is not to defend Carter or justify his behavior. It's just that there are various questions surrounding the incident that are not clear in my mind. Based on what we do know, however, this is likely going to end with the equivalent of a slap on the wrist for Carter...though I do like the idea of community service as was suggested above.

However it's adjudicated, down the road the young man would be advised to stay out of further trouble because if there's a second incident, I don't think he'll be cut much slack.
its a good question and I don't know. Regardless, "I did't know" isn't an excuse. Perhaps the tow truck driver could have handled it better but that isn't against the law. I don't trust that the article got it correct so that is that. Like, why didn't Carter ID himself to the truck driver?

Reactions: Lion_Backer
its a good question and I don't know. Regardless, "I did't know" isn't an excuse. Perhaps the tow truck driver could have handled it better but that isn't against the law. I don't trust that the article got it correct so that is that. Like, why didn't Carter ID himself to the truck driver?
You what is against the law? Threatening physical harm to students with a deadly weapon in your hand. You can't do that. Charge the guy and let him defend his actions.

It’s amazing how many of our “fans” on here want him to sit out….almost like you’re hoping we lose. This past season we had an entire coaching staff cheat to get a competitive edge and all they got was a NC out of it…so by all means, let’s suspend a player for a misdemeanor.

Reactions: NJPSU
The tow truck driver has every right to tow the vehicle without any interference by Carter. It's irrelevant it was his property. Allow the tow, like an adult, then sort it out. Carter made countless mistakes here. Trying to blame the driver is pathetic.

I don't think Carter should be suspended but trying to blame anyone other than him is a problem. Those doing so would be spinning this very differently if Carter played for Ohio State, Michigan, Notre Dame, Pitt, any SEC team, etc.

Reactions: Gitzit
It’s amazing how many of our “fans” on here want him to sit out….almost like you’re hoping we lose. This past season we had an entire coaching staff cheat to get a competitive edge and all they got was a NC out of it…so by all means, let’s suspend a player for a misdemeanor.
We don't need him to beat West Virginia--but he shouldn't sit out.

And the guy would have been long gone before any response occurred. That's why I say that the driver took away this option to resolve the issue.

Does that matter? If it was an illegal tow, or a theft, he's got the name of the company on the side of the truck, picture of the tag plate, and a recorded conversation with 911 on his side.

I'd say the vehicle got towed anyway, did it not? I highly doubt Carter unhooked his vehicle and just drove away, right?

For someone who desired Hartline to be punished severely for being drunk and operating a SxS, I'd think you would at least understand how Carter is extremely at fault here. If you wish to complain about the fact that our players don't get special treatment (aka in Columbus, this probably leads to a knock on the door and a "Mr Xxx, Coach Day says it's time to get on home." And nobody's vehicle getting remotely towed), by all means.

No. It’s not especially after the other guy got physical
The other guy had not gotten physical. Carter hadn't laid a hand on the guy when he went and got a large metal bar that could kill a person and threatened Carter with it.

And @lazydave841, I have repeated stated that both should be charged. I must have typed that and that I didn't condone Carter's actions at least half a dozen times in this thread. Do I need to type it a thousand times before you and others get it through your heads? Carter has been charged and this man who threatened Carter with a deadly weapon needs to be charged.

What is the argument for allowing an adult around campus to threaten students with a weapon that could kill with total immunity? Someone is going to get permanently injured or killed if that guy is permitted to continue to threaten students with a deadly weapon. He went right to the tow bar as a weapon so it is likely that he has threatened with it before. You have to charge him. The campus is not safe if you allow people to threaten students with deadly weapons without consequence. There was only a verbal disagreement before the tow guy escalated the incident to violence.

• Love
Reactions: blair10
The other guy had not gotten physical. Carter hadn't laid a hand on the guy when he went and got a large metal bar that could kill a person and threatened Carter with it.

And @lazydave841, I have repeated stated that both should be charged. I must have typed that and that I didn't condone Carter's actions at least half a dozen times in this thread. Do I need to type it a thousand times before you and others get it through your heads? Carter has been charged and this man who threatened Carter with a deadly weapon needs to be charged.

What is the argument for allowing an adult around campus to threaten students with a weapon that could kill with total immunity? Someone is going to get permanently injured or killed if that guy is permitted to continue to threaten students with a deadly weapon. He went right to the tow bar as a weapon so it is likely that he has threatened with it before. You have to charge him. The campus is not safe if you allow people to threaten students with deadly weapons without consequence. There was only a verbal disagreement before the tow guy escalated the incident to violence.
This is the most delusional thing i've read here and that's truly saying something

Reactions: NJPSU

Ok. Your right. what was I, the officer, the Paper writer, and the tow truck guy thinking

Reactions: Gitzit
Ok. Your right. what was I, the officer, the Paper writer, and the tow truck guy thinking
I'm glad to see that you've finally come around. LOL! Anyway, what was the tow truck guy thinking? Taking a large metal bar out and threatening a physically dominant young man is a great way to get yourself beat unconscious with a metal bar OR get charged with criminal threats.

Carter blocked the tow guy from getting into his vehicle. That is physical escalation. That occurred first, right?
1) Carter didn't touch him.
2) If a guy is trying to drive off with $50k to $100k of your property after midnight and you aren't sure of the authority and tried to pay the drop fee but the guy continued to take possession of your vehicle, then you are likely to try to delay the guy from taking off until at least until the authority and process is clarified.
3) Since you are concerned about what has come first, didn't the guy ignoring Carter's attempts to clarify the drop fee process and his authority to tow (even stating he was going to call 911) and trying to just drive off with the vehicle come first before Carter tried to block him from driving off with the vehicle?

Carter's response to this point was 100% reasonable and within his rights. Grabbing a large metal bar and threatening physical harm to a student with it is not reasonable. It is dumb and criminal. The tow guy should also be charged. He is a threat to student safety.

1) Carter didn't touch him.
2) If a guy is trying to drive off with $50k to $100k of your property after midnight and you aren't sure of the authority and tried to pay the drop fee but the guy continued to take possession of your vehicle, then you are likely to try to delay the guy from taking off until at least until the authority and process is clarified.
3) Since you are concerned about what has come first, didn't the guy ignoring Carter's attempts to clarify the drop fee process and his authority to tow (even stating he was going to call 911) and trying to just drive off with the vehicle come first before Carter tried to block him from driving off with the vehicle?

Carter's response to this point was 100% reasonable and within his rights. Grabbing a large metal bar and threatening physical harm to a student with it is not reasonable. It is dumb and criminal. The tow guy should also be charged. He is a threat to student safety.

If Carter's name was (INSERT OHIO STATE PLAYER HERE), your stance would be 100% the opposite.

If Carter's name was (INSERT OHIO STATE PLAYER HERE), your stance would be 100% the opposite.
Not if I read the actual official report. Facts are facts. Again, for the thousandth time, I am not saying Carter shouldn't have been charged nor do I advocate his response.

Why can many of you not come to the reasonable conclusion that a tow driver should 100% be charged if they escalate a non-violent disagreement over their authority to tow and the process for drop fee by picking up a deadly weapon and threatening to use it on a student whose car he was trying to drive away?

Would you want this guy threatening your college-aged son with a deadly weapon?

It is quite likely this is not the first time this guy has done this to a student since that is immediately where he went when he faced resistance to just driving away without first allowing the 911 call or local authorities to resolve the misunderstanding.

Not if I read the actual official report. Facts are facts. Again, for the thousandth time, I am not saying Carter shouldn't have been charged nor do I advocate his response.

Why can many of you not come to the reasonable conclusion that a tow driver should 100% be charged if they escalate a non-violent disagreement over their authority to tow and the process for drop fee by picking up a deadly weapon and threatening to use it on a student whose car he was trying to drive away?

Would you want this guy threatening your college-aged son with a deadly weapon?

It is quite likely this is not the first time this guy has done this to a student since that is immediately where he went when he faced resistance to just driving away without first allowing the 911 call or local authorities to resolve the misunderstanding.

What was the tow guy supposed to do? He asked for Carter to verify his information and he refused, right?

Carter then blocked him from completing his job, right?

If the driver needs to be charged, he likely will be. And nothing about the incident indicates he's running around threatening kids unless we also want to believe this incident also indicates that Carter is a violent person who believes he is above the law. He's probably out breaking multiple laws daily and inflicting pain and suffering on those who get in his way since that's the first thing he did, right?

Reactions: Gitzit and Obliviax
What was the tow guy supposed to do? He asked for Carter to verify his information and he refused, right?

If the driver needs to be charged, he likely will be. And nothing about the incident indicates he's running around threatening kids unless we also want to believe this incident also indicates that Carter is a violent person who believes he is above the law. He's probably out breaking multiple laws daily and inflicting pain and suffering on those who get in his way since that's the first thing he did, right?
I'll be shocked if he is charged. If the article is correct, Carter barred him from being able to access his vehicle. He has a clear case of self-defense and that is why he grabbed the tow bar. This is especially true in a case where the other guy was clearly wrong (illegal parking and then didn't have the maturity to deal with the consequences) and is a highly trained professional athlete. Perhaps he could have handled it better but he didn't do anything illegal.

Maybe allow Carter to call 911 and get local authorities on the scene to clarify the authority and process?

I'll tell you what you don't do. You don't take a situation that has been a non-violent misunderstanding and go grab a large metal bar and threaten the student. That is a criminal act and it is ridiculously risky. If you do that, you've just increased the odds parabolically that you are going to get your a$$ beat and likely unconscious with a metal bar.

Maybe allow Carter to call 911 and get local authorities on the scene to clarify the authority and process?

I'll tell you what you don't do. You don't take a situation that has been a non-violent misunderstanding and go grab a large metal bar and threaten the student. That is a criminal act and it is ridiculously risky. If you do that, you've just increased the odds parabolically that you are going to get your a$$ beat and likely unconscious with a metal bar.
nobody stopped him from calling 911. He threatened to call them and then didn't, according to the article.

I'll be shocked if he is charged. If the article is correct, Carter barred him from being able to access his vehicle. He has a clear case of self-defense and that is why he grabbed the tow bar. This is especially true in a case where the other guy was clearly wrong (illegal parking and then didn't have the maturity to deal with the consequences) and is a highly trained professional athlete. Perhaps he could have handled it better but he didn't do anything illegal.
It is illegal when you grab a deadly weapon and threaten a student. Self-defense when the kid never touched him and when he was trying to drive off without allowing the kid to call 911 to clarify the authority and process? Don't think so. The tow driver was the aggressor and took the incident from non-violent to violent.

• Haha
Reactions: LandoComando
nobody stopped him from calling 911. He threatened to call them and then didn't, according to the article.
He didn't because the guy tried to flee the scene with Carter's vehicle. Carter could have called after the guy took off but it would have been too late. The tow driver forced the incident to escalate at every step.

• Haha
Reactions: LandoComando
He didn't because the guy tried to flee the scene with Carter's vehicle. Carter could have called after the guy took off but it would have been too late. The tow driver forced the incident to escalate at every step.
meaningless. Carter was parked illegally, the guy had every right to drive off. you cannot physically restrain someone at the scene. you have to let him go and sort it out later. Carter was dumb and immature. He will now pay the consequences. He'll apologize in a few weeks after this is settled (can't now because lawyers will tell him to keep his mouth shut).

Reactions: lazydave841

So every tow predicament requires police intervention to validate tows?

Carter could have called 911. Nobody stopped him. The tow guy leaving with his tow truck towing Carter's vehicle didn't stop that process of dialing 911.

The situation became violent when Carter blocked him from getting into his truck. Carter could have stepped away at any time and de-escalated. If he has a $50k+ vehicle, why didn't he verify his information and pay the drop? Isn't it suspicious that he wouldn't?

I guess the tow guy should have just sat on the corner when he couldn't get in his vehicle? Big bad Mr Carter says no, you can't tow my car. Yep, that's the way this should have gone down. 🤡💩, congratulations tho, you are spurring on conversation... lol

Reactions: Obliviax

Carter could have called 911. Nobody stopped him. The tow guy leaving with his tow truck towing Carter's vehicle didn't stop that process of dialing 911.

The situation became violent when Carter blocked him from getting into his truck. Carter could have stepped away at any time and de-escalated. If he has a $50k+ vehicle, why didn't he verify his information and pay the drop? Isn't it suspicious that he wouldn't?

I guess the tow guy should have just sat on the corner when he couldn't get in his vehicle? Big bad Mr Carter says no, you can't tow my car. Yep, that's the way this should have gone down. 🤡💩, congratulations tho, you are spurring on conversation... lol
right. assuming the article is correct (a big "if"), there is no defense. time to take the medicine and move on.

meaningless. Carter was parked illegally, the guy had every right to drive off. you cannot physically restrain someone at the scene. you have to let him go and sort it out later. Carter was dumb and immature. He will now pay the consequences. He'll apologize in a few weeks after this is settled (can't now because lawyers will tell him to keep his mouth shut).
Carter had not touched the driver. There was no physical restraint. He blocked the entrance to the vehicle because the guy wanted to drive off with his property without allowing him to call 911 and get local authorities to clarify.

You keep making up things that are not in the report. Reread it. Carter said he was going to call 911 and then put his forearm in the way of the driver when he tried to leave the scene before allowing the authorities to come and resolve it.

Regardless, threatening physical harm to a student with a deadly weapon is not only an escalation from non-violence to violence, it is a crime. You cannot go around doing that. It is not a rational response.

Carter had not touched the driver. There was no physical restraint. He blocked the entrance to the vehicle because the guy wanted to drive off with his property without allowing him to call 911 and get local authorities to clarify.

You keep making up things that are not in the report. Reread it. Carter said he was going to call 911 and then put his forearm in the way of the driver when he tried to leave the scene before allowing the authorities to come and resolve it.

Regardless, threatening physical harm to a student with a deadly weapon is not only an escalation from non-violence to violence, it is a crime. You cannot go around doing that. It is not a rational response.
that's right. and he had no legal right to do that. so that makes him wrong. Threatening physical harm isn't illegal in that situation when Carter restrained him and he had every right to protect himself. he wasn't the protagonist, Carter was.

Terrible argument and hyperbole. Does every tow job require physically threatening the owner with a deadly weapon? That is the same argument that you used.

And the tow guy took away Carter's option to get clarification from authorities when he tried to flee the scene. Carter responded in a reasonable way. The driver did not, he committed a crime at the moment that he grabbed the large metal bar and made physical threats.

that's right. and he had no legal right to do that. so that makes him wrong. Threatening physical harm isn't illegal in that situation when Carter restrained him and he had every right to protect himself. he wasn't the protagonist, Carter was.
Carter had not restrained him. You are continuously and intentionally misrepresenting the facts in the report. Carter blocked him. Read the report. And he had every right when the guy was going to drive off with his property without allowing Carter to determine his authority or process to do so. And still, Carter was charged.

The driver had no right to escalate from non-violent to violence by threatening physical harm to a student with a deadly weapon. He also committed a crime and must charged.

Carter had not restrained him. You are continuously and intentionally misrepresenting the facts in the report. Carter blocked him. Read the report. And he had every right when the guy was going to drive off with his property without allowing Carter to determine his authority or process to do so. And still, Carter was charged.

The driver had no right to escalate from non-violent to violence by threatening physical harm to a student with a deadly weapon. He also committed a crime and must charged.
Sorry, he used his forearm to block the driver from accessing the truck. That is physically restraining him.

"Vehicle can be towed when they are parked illegally on private and public property."

Chapter 27 - Assault
2706 - Terroristic threats.​

§ 2706. Terroristic threats.
(a) Offense defined.--A person commits the crime of
terroristic threats if the person communicates, either directly
or indirectly, a threat to:
(1) commit any crime of violence with intent to
terrorize another;

(1) When the court determines that the offender possessed a deadly weapon during the commission of the current conviction offense, the court shall consider the DWE/Possessed Matrix (§ 303.17). An offender has possessed a deadly weapon if any of the following were on the offender's person or within his immediate physical control:(i) Any firearm, (as defined in 42 Pa.C.S. § 9712) whether loaded or unloaded, or(ii) Any dangerous weapon (as defined in 18 Pa.C.S. § 913), or(iii) Any device, implement, or instrumentality designed as a weapon or capable of producing death or serious bodily injury where the court determines that the defendant intended to use the weapon to threaten or injure another individual.

https://casetext.com/statute/pennsy...ideline-sentence-recommendations-enhancements

Sorry, he used his forearm to block the driver from accessing the truck. That is physically restraining him.
It is not. Restraining someone implies physical contact. Blocking them as the report states clearly implies not touching them.

Do you personally know this tow driver or the owner of the service? Why are you defending the guy making physical threats with a deadly weapon? It is not justified, it is criminal, and it is a threat to student safety if this is permitted.

Last edited:
It is not. Restraining someone implies physical contact. Blocking them as the report states clearly implies not touching them.

Do you personally know this tow driver or the owner of the service? Why are you defending the guy making physical threats with a deadly weapon? It is not justified, it is criminal, and it is a threat to student safety if this is permitted.

Can I just come stand in your doorway and block you from entering your residence?

Hell, I live 8 hours from State College. Maybe 9. The entire thread is people saying "Carter f'd up". It's you acting like the tow guy is the biggest problem here.

Apparently I can come stand in your doorway and refuse you entry into your home just because I want to as long as I just hold my arms out. If you try to get in, that's you escalating. Right?

Lol

Sorry. you are incorrect in terms of the guy being able to pick up a tow bar to defend himself. We'll just have to agree to disagree. And since he wasn't charged by the officers and/or DA, I am comfortable with my position.

Can I just come stand in your doorway and block you from entering your residence?

Hell, I live 8 hours from State College. Maybe 9. The entire thread is people saying "Carter f'd up". It's you acting like the tow guy is the biggest problem here.

Apparently I can come stand in your doorway and refuse you entry into your home just because I want to as long as I just hold my arms out. If you try to get in, that's you escalating. Right?

Lol
Your logic is horrible man. You keep coming up with invalid analogies. Can I just threaten you with a deadly weapon if you don't let me take the most valuable thing that you have ever owned and you aren't sure what authority I have to do so? That is the same logic you are applying.

Carter was rightly charged. The tow guy needs to be charged. He threatened to harm a student with a deadly weapon. Why are you excusing that? Again, I am not excusing Carter being charged. But you want to allow terroristic threats with deadly weapons?

And if you come and stand in my doorway preventing my access to my own home which is clearly mine then I would call authorities. If you damaged my home, threatened me, or took my property then I would have the right to use force.

Sorry. you are incorrect in terms of the guy being able to pick up a tow bar to defend himself. We'll just have to agree to disagree. And since he wasn't charged by the officers and/or DA, I am comfortable with my position.
Nowhere in the report does it state that the tow guy picked up the deadly weapon to defend himself. He picked it up and threatened Carter until he no longer blocked the driver's entry to the vehicle for his attempt to flee the scene with Carter's property.

Do you know this guy or the owners of the tow service personally? I cannot grasp how you are unconcerned with a tow guy in a non-violent situation threatening students with a deadly weapon. I suppose students are disposable, don't have rights, and their safety isn't something that the public should care about.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT