ADVERTISEMENT

Football Penn State LB Abdul Carter among four Nittany Lions changing positions

Allen plays a 4-2 front most of the time, something a lot of these ignorant posters aren’t mentioning.

Manny had used the 4-2 front as well prior to coming here (although I don't think exclusively) and we were still a 4-3 defense after he installed his scheme.

Until we see it, I'm not positive it's a given that Allen makes the switch primary.

Reactions: voltz99
Rumblings this past season, and more recently, that the entirety of that ‘23 LB class is ready - Rojas, Robinson, and Keys. Robinson will probably end up inside, but a lot of talk that Keys may be ready at OLB come August. He was also the scout team player of the year as well.

Allen plays a 4-2 front most of the time, something a lot of these ignorant posters aren’t mentioning.
Relying on Freshman LBs is a fools errand.

Relying on Freshman LBs is a fools errand.
Relying on you to post anything worth reading is a fool’s errand.

They’re all RS Frosh, two years in the program.

Also, Micah Parsons and Abdul Carter say hello. You can’t complain about moving Carter from LB in one post and then follow it up with another post complaining about freshman LBers. Carter started as a freshman.

Give the negative schtick a break it’s unbelievably annoying.

Also, Micah Parsons and Abdul Carter say hello. You can’t complain about moving Carter from LB in one post and then follow it up with another post complaining about freshman LBers. Carter started as a freshman.

Yep, and a starting group of DeLuka at Sam, King at Mike and Rojas or Wylie at Will would be one of the most experienced LB units in the B10, if not all P5 teams. And that's not counting Elsdon as a backup who has loads of playing time, although some of it was from on his butt watching UM RB's sail by. As you said, Robinson played some last season and is a big time athlete. And Keys was a very high priority target for the 2023 class and earned lots of praise redshirting last season. Lots to be optimistic about. And would the staff move Carter from Will where he earned B10 recognition if he couldn't be replaced with a high upside player? Pretty simple answer.

Last edited:
This is a grade A big boy move right here by Allen.

Why do you think Parsons was moved to DE in the NFL? Because Pry played him in the wrong spot for two years.

DE is a much more premium position than LB in both the pros and college. Allen also plays a 4-2 front 6 for a lot of snaps. DDS and Allen on the edge might be a better duo than Chop/Isaac.
I like the combo of DDS and Carter on the edge. Hopeful that DDS takes the next step to AA level and Carter is a monster wreaking havoc on QBs and at the LoS.

Yep, and a starting group of DeLuka at Sam, King at Mike and Wylie at Will would be one of the most experienced LB units in the B10, if not all P5 teams. And that's not counting Elsdon as a backup who has loads of playing time, although some of it was from on his butt watching UM RB's sail by. As you said, Robinson played some last season and is a big time athlete. And Keys was a very high priority target for the 2023 class and earned lots of praise redshirting last season. Lots to be optimistic about. And would the staff move Carter from Will where he earned B10 recognition if he couldn't be replaced with a high upside player? Pretty simple answer.
I would think Rojas starts, no?

My biggest issue is what do we have to gain by posting this roster move of Abdul to DE? Now the coaches will be hesitant about putting Abdul back to LB if it doesn't work out for him at DE, because of coaches "egos"

I would think Rojas starts, no?
Seems so. If not at Will then at Sam. Had a senior moment when focusing on someone's fear of losing the experience of Carter at LB. Rojas looked like he could be the next great PSU LB in his limited play last year and with King, Deluka an Wylie, as well as the RS freshmen Robinson and Keys there seems to be both plenty of experience and talent. Wonder if the Carter move is in concrete now. If so he may gives up the sticks to Rojas.

Until I hear from Franklin that Carter's move to DE is permanent I'm still thinking this could possibly be just one of the Spring position switch tryouts that happen every year.

Seems so. If not at Will then at Sam. Had a senior moment when focusing on someone's fear of losing the experience of Carter at LB. Rojas looked like he could be the next great PSU LB in his limited play last year and with King, Deluka an Wylie, as well as the RS freshmen Robinson and Keys there seems to be both plenty of experience and talent. Wonder if the Carter move is in concrete now. If so he may gives up the sticks to Rojas.

Until I hear from Franklin that Carter's move to DE is permanent I'm still thinking this could possibly be just one of the Spring position switch tryouts that happen every year.
I think it is more than an exploratory tryout. The positive is this speaks to the excellent depth in the LB room based on the coaches' evaluations. I think specifically Wylie and Rojas are really doing well and ready to step up and significantly contribute. King has come on nicely. DeLuca is solid and Keys and Robinson are big time recruits with huge upside.

It also probably speaks to the fact that we need more juice at Edge. But I don't think it is an indication that Edge was weak. We have Fisher and Lyons was a big time recruit (#125 nationally and #2 in PA) who played well last year. I think it could be a situation where the D-Line room was good and by adding Carter we make it very good to excellent. Plus Carter can be an X factor for us off the edge by disrupting plays, creating turnovers and generally being a game changer.

My biggest issue is what do we have to gain by posting this roster move of Abdul to DE? Now the coaches will be hesitant about putting Abdul back to LB if it doesn't work out for him at DE, because of coaches "egos"
“Coaches ego”….code words for “he’s not doing what I think he should do.”

Reactions: bison13
If they think its best for the team after spring practice thats different. The only reason to announce this now is for a publicity stunt.
Where did that revelation come from?

The reason to announce it now is that DE is the position he will practice at during Spring practice. That's what a roster is for. So that fans and the media know what positions each player is practicing at. It's saying that Carter will practice with the DE's during Spring practice and unless another change is made will play DE in the B/W game. If he even plays in the game.

Position changes are made before Spring practice every year. Mostly they have stuck, but it's a case by case basis. FYI, the coaches do what they believe has a chance to make the team better. Yes, they actually want to win games more fervently than the fans do.

Where did that revelation come from?

The reason to announce it now is that DE is the position he will practice at during Spring practice. That's what a roster is for. So that fans and the media know what positions each player is practicing at. It's saying that Carter will practice with the DE's during Spring practice and unless another change is made will play DE in the B/W game. If he even plays in the game.

Position changes are made before Spring practice every year. Mostly they have stuck, but it's a case by case basis. FYI, the coaches do what they believe has a chance to make the team better. Yes, they actually want to win games more fervently than the fans do.
Yes because Franklin always makes good roster moves, lol.

Carter's position switch to DE discussed pretty thoroughly in this podcast, including DE and LB depth and talent.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT