ADVERTISEMENT

2023 US Open

Stream is pausing every time I don't view the page (alt tabbed, or in a different tab, or just having a window over it). Incredibly odd and frustrating.

I think Bo Basset was teched? I saw him down 9-0 and they were walking around looking like a challenge. Lost the mat after that...

Had to look it up, Collum won an IL state title in 2004.

Now I'm seeing Dwight Gardner. Not THAT Dwight Gardner that won an NCAA title of Ohio U right? He's even older than Collum! Maybe there are some Veterans mats sprinkled in.
I wrestled for Ohio University with Dwight! He was damn good. The most unassuming guy off the mat but a killer on it. We took 9th in the country that year with him winning a national title and Shawn Enright losing in the finals to Ironside. Enright was incredible as well. My very first real practice our coaches wanted to break us freshman. They paired us with an upper classman and we wrestled a 30 min live go. I was paired with Enright. I got the first td and was thinking man, this is t going to be too bad. Pretty sure I didn’t get another td for the next 2 weeks! Spent a large part of that 30 min go fighting off my back and getting the shit kicked out of me. Fun times. It’s incredible how quickly you improve though when you are going with people better than you.

I wrestled for Ohio University with Dwight! He was damn good. The most unassuming guy off the mat but a killer on it. We took 9th in the country that year with him winning a national title and Shawn Enright losing in the finals to Ironside. Enright was incredible as well. My very first real practice our coaches wanted to break us freshman. They paired us with an upper classman and we wrestled a 30 min live go. I was paired with Enright. I got the first td and was thinking man, this is t going to be too bad. Pretty sure I didn’t get another td for the next 2 weeks! Spent a large part of that 30 min go fighting off my back and getting the shit kicked out of me. Fun times. It’s incredible how quickly you improve though when you are going with people better than you.
Ha, that's great! I was going to NIU at that time and followed you guys, Enright was indeed quite the stud. Lost to Ironside in the NCAA finals IIRC. I'm not positive that was him wrestling though, said he was affiliated with Florida.

Reactions: Pitchfork Rebel
Ha, that's great! I was going to NIU at that time and followed you guys, Enright was indeed quite the stud. Lost to Ironside in the NCAA finals IIRC. I'm not positive that was him wrestling though, said he was affiliated with Florida.
It probably is him then. Pretty sure he’s from Florida and masters is going on right now. We had a good team in 1995-1997. Dwight was always good but really jumped levels in 1 year. Like round of 16 kind of guy to national champion. It all just clicked for him

Reactions: GantryZ
finally got to watch. this isn't specific to this match (not a true test obviously), but I think people are going to be surprised at how good Spencer is on top in freestyle. He has turned 100% of his senior level opponents. NATO, Vito, Cruz, and Sanders are the notable names.

Reactions: hlstone
Why don't you jabronies make a separate OT/NFL Draft thread, and quit mucking up the US Open thread??
Seriously, an earlier thread referred to Carter as lazy. I was very confused!
Happy Penn State GIF by NCAA Championships

• Haha
Reactions: goldenanimal
finally got to watch. this isn't specific to this match (not a true test obviously), but I think people are going to be surprised at how good Spencer is on top in freestyle. He has turned 100% of his senior level opponents. NATO, Vito, Cruz, and Sanders are the notable names.
LOL..NO ONE will be surprised with Spencer..he was a damned phenom in freestyle

The question for Spencer is if he can withstand the physical style of a guy like Suriano and Gilman

LOL..NO ONE will be surprised with Spencer..he was a damned phenom in freestyle
There were people on here wondering if his top game would transfer and that's a reasonable question. What makes Spencer unique is that his folkstyle top stuff is based on his freestyle stuff. He talks about it in his barstool interview. He developed those tilts because they're the gutwrench motion.

Reactions: hlstone
Valencia had beaten Ravon Foley not that long ago and appeared pretty tough against ADS.
Valencia is a strange one. Great wins like beating AA Foley while still in high school but is ranked outside the top 10 of his weight class in high school rankings. Are high school kids just getting so much better?

Reactions: donboy6499
There were people on here wondering if his top game would transfer and that's a reasonable question. What makes Spencer unique is that his folkstyle top stuff is based on his freestyle stuff. He talks about it in his barstool interview. He developed those tilts because they're the gutwrench motion.
Well unless "the people wondering" were living under a rock when Spencer was wrestling cadet and juniors..they wouldn't "wonder"

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT