ADVERTISEMENT

Football 2023 Penn State Football Depth Chart -- Post Spring Ball Edition

I think the middle LB position will look dramatically different after the first 4 games. I am hoping one of the freshmen LBs can get some meaningful playing time at LB.

This is the best PSU depth since 2016.

Also, I am really excited to see the offense with Allar at QB.

Best roster in years.
I wouldn't go there. There are big holes in the roster on both sides of the ball. They won't hurt us against most of the teams we play but could present major problems against against the top 4 to 5 opponents. We have no depth at QB. Pribula doesn't have the arm to execute the majority of the offense. If Allar goes out for any amount of time against all but the worst teams on the schedule, or doesn't acclimate to the starting job as quickly as expected we are in trouble. The defensive line is a mixed bag. With a lead, they are fine. Without one, depending on the opponent, things can get ugly. The receiver position remains a mess until proven otherwise. All in all, it is a Franklin roster.

I wouldn't go there. There are big holes in the roster on both sides of the ball. They won't hurt us against most of the teams we play but could present major problems against against the top 4 to 5 opponents. We have no depth at QB. Pribula doesn't have the arm to execute the majority of the offense. If Allar goes out for any amount of time against all but the worst teams on the schedule, or doesn't acclimate to the starting job as quickly as expected we are in trouble. The defensive line is a mixed bag. With a lead, they are fine. Without one, depending on the opponent, things can get ugly. The receiver position remains a mess until proven otherwise. All in all, it is a Franklin roster.
Of course you wouldn’t. That’s a shock. Let me guess, 7-5 again this year?😂

Reactions: royboy
Of course you wouldn’t. That’s a shock. Let me guess, 7-5 again this year?😂

With any insanely optimistic absolute ceiling of 9-3 that had little, to no, chance of being achieved..... 😳🤔

Last edited:
It is puzzling to me why some in the media and some fans always frame discussions about an upcoming season in terms of wins vs. losses. This is a diversionary tactic in my view and avoids the elephant in the room.

The most important metric we should be thinking about is where will PSU finish in the BIG East division. If this team finishes in 3rd place irrelevancy (again), it will be a huge disappointment regardless of their win-loss record.

At some, we have got to win against the big boys and stop being satisfied with only beating 2nd tier programs.

All in all, it's a Coach Wally post.

It is puzzling to me why some in the media and some fans always frame discussions about an upcoming season in terms of wins vs. losses. This is a diversionary tactic in my view and avoids the elephant in the room.

The most important metric we should be thinking about is where will PSU finish in the BIG East division. If this team finishes in 3rd place irrelevancy (again), it will be a huge disappointment regardless of their win-loss record.

At some, we have got to win against the big boys and stop being satisfied with only beating 2nd tier programs.
We have to beat at a minimum either Mich or OSU this season and win all the rest to meet expectations. Seems harsh but is the truth.

When we have a 249 lbs Carter in addition to last year's Mike's returning? Rojas might have put on weight. He might start a game or multiple before season's end. I don't think it will be at Mike.
You can't just move Carter to Mike though...whereas Mike is where Rojas has been from the jump.

You can't just move Carter to Mike though...whereas Mike is where Rojas has been from the jump.

Rojas hasn't been at Mike, unless you have documentation I dont. That's the other freshman LB Robinson, who is 237. Rojas is 214. Carter has seen Mike snaps as well this spring.

Rojas hasn't been at Mike, unless you have documentation I dont. That's the other freshman LB Robinson, who is 237. Rojas is 214. Carter has seen Mike snaps as well this spring.
Pretty sure Rojas played Mike in Blue white game.

If you want to get penn states 3 best linebackers on the field at the same time then 1 of those 3 must play the Mike. It won't be Carter or Jacobs.

1. That's just a fantasy currently. Wait until the season. I think Rojas will be spectacular, but it took Carter weeks to start with a less experienced LB room.

2. Let's entertain the thought. Myself, you hope Rojas can get to 225 by fall. He still isn't playing Mike outside of lining up near the middle of the field on a Diaz package defense.

In theory, Carter at Mike, Rojas at Will, Jacobs at Sam is potentially an ultra athletic grouping that gets all 3 on the field.

If you want to get penn states 3 best linebackers on the field at the same time then 1 of those 3 must play the Mike. It won't be Carter or Jacobs.
The three you believe are the best, or the three that Diaz (who evaluates them every day, in every practice and from every game snap) believes are the best......?

Last edited:
Pretty sure Rojas played Mike in Blue white game.

1st series.

Rojas at Sam.
Robinson at Mike.
Wylie at Will.

2nd series. Same group.

3rd series. Same.

Watched the entire game. Rojas took 0 snaps at Mike. Robinson did look good at Mike. I think his athleticism could see his RS burned, but it will require struggles or injury for that to happen most likely.

Artis played a better game than I remember him getting credit for. Wanted to throw that in.

Ivey as well seemed to do a good job of getting open.

Last edited:
Reactions: GregInPitt
1st series.

Rojas at Sam.
Robinson at Mike.
Wylie at Will.

2nd series. Same group.

3rd series. Same.

Watched the entire game. Rojas took 0 snaps at Mike. Robinson did look good at Mike. I think his athleticism could see his RS burned, but it will require struggles or injury for that to happen most likely.

Artis played a better game than I remember him getting credit for. Wanted to throw that in.

Do you see Artis cracking the 2 deep?

1st series.

Rojas at Sam.
Robinson at Mike.
Wylie at Will.

2nd series. Same group.

3rd series. Same.

Thanks for going back and documenting where the young LB's were playing.

Rojas seems to utilize his speed and quickness to cover ground and make plays that slower LB's don't make which seems to point him towards the Sam position, which is where he has reportedly been practicing. I doubt if we ever see him play Mike in a true 3 LB defense.

The staff has in limited mentions spoke positively about the progress Wylie made during bowl preparation and during Spring practice, but he had the same size issues as Rojas and didn't seem to put on the muscle as fast as some players do. Playing Will his path to significant playing time this coming season seems like it will be limited to mop up duty in any blowouts.

It would be great to see Robinson play well enough to force his way onto the field in the Fall. I like what I saw from King in the 2nd half of the 2022 season at Mike, and if Robinson could some how pass Elsdon on the depth chart for the backup spot at Mike that would seem to improve the weakest LB position.

Reactions: lazydave841
Do you see Artis cracking the 2 deep?

Unless they start playing 2 of the bigger DTs at the same time, no, he's at best #3 behind Ellies and Izzard until fall camp shakes out. Hopefully Artis allows us to rotate deeper without a huge drop-off (aka he and Van Der Berg come in and the opponent instantly drives the field). He was very active in BW game and had 2 or 3 tackles, which is outstanding for the setting (running clock limits # of snaps, we didn't see a lot of running plays either).

Thanks for going back and documenting where the young LB's were playing.

I forgot about checking for the footage after the practice occurred until the discussion brought it up. Lol

All 3 2nd string LBs played well in that game. I heard all the raves about Rojas, but didn't realize that Robinson and Wylie played as well as they did. Rojas is just so fluid and smooth that it's going to be tough to get noticed while he's on the field. For a kid who played DE in HS, his transition has gone very well.

Probably the most impressive play I saw was when he had a delayed blitz of sorts. Instead of staying outside, he read the QBs eyes and shifted inside and deflected a pass. Just awesome instincts there, playing with a feel that some never attain.

Another note, overall the tackling looked better than last year. Everyone seemed to be wrapping the legs up Instead of shoulder blocking.

Reactions: GregInPitt
1. That's just a fantasy currently. Wait until the season. I think Rojas will be spectacular, but it took Carter weeks to start with a less experienced LB room.

2. Let's entertain the thought. Myself, you hope Rojas can get to 225 by fall. He still isn't playing Mike outside of lining up near the middle of the field on a Diaz package defense.

In theory, Carter at Mike, Rojas at Will, Jacobs at Sam is potentially an ultra athletic grouping that gets all 3 on the field.
I think I saw either on a youtube podcast or at the blue/white game telecast that Rojas was already up to like 224 lbs. It was one of the most amazing body transformations in such a short time they had seen from an incoming freshman. Anyone else remember seeing that?

Reactions: Online Persona
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT