ADVERTISEMENT

2022 Southern scuffle

Beard vs Caffey

Been looking forward to this one.

hand fighting and heavy snaps through a minute but no shots. Caffey with first shot 1:40 to go but nothing. Nice double to quick finish by beard with 1:12 to go. Tilt by beard but no points given. Riding with one foot in bounds. OOB with 0:34 to go. Caffey to his feet Beard gets stall call as they go OOB when he can’t return him to the mat with high single. Beard rides him out. 2-0 with 1:13 adv after one.

Beard takes bottom to start 2nd. Immediately up and out. 4 second escape. Caffey a couple half shots and Beard then gets another straight double leg take down with 1:15 to go in 2nd. OOB with 1:13 to wrestle. 5-0 now. Beard flattens Caffey. Riding well. Returns Caffey then another tilt but no points. OOB with 0:26 to wrestle. Caffey to feet and beard cuts him with 0:19 to go. Beard almost scored off Caffey shot. 5-1 good guys with 2:00 adv after two.

caffey take bottom to start 3rd. Beard flattens him out. Beard showing a good ride. OOB with 1:31 to wrestle. Caffey to his feet and Beard cuts him when he can’t get the mat return, 1:10 to wrestle. Caffey shoots but Beard defends. Beard then shoots in weird exchange but they go OOB with 17 secs to go. Beard was close to a TD. Beard takes it 6-2 with RT. Dominant win by decision; never in doubt.

Beard vs Caffey

Been looking forward to this one.

hand fighting and heavy snaps through a minute but no shots. Caffey with first shot 1:40 to go but nothing. Nice double to quick finish by beard with 1:12 to go. Tilt by beard but no points given. Riding with one foot in bounds. OOB with 0:34 to go. Caffey to his feet Beard gets stall call as they go OOB when he can’t return him to the mat with high single. Beard rides him out. 2-0 with 1:13 adv after one.

Beard takes bottom to start 2nd. Immediately up and out. 4 second escape. Caffey a couple half shots and Beard then gets another straight double leg take down with 1:15 to go in 2nd. OOB with 1:13 to wrestle. 5-0 now. Beard flattens Caffey. Riding well. Returns Caffey then another tilt but no points. OOB with 0:26 to wrestle. Caffey to feet and beard cuts him with 0:19 to go. Beard almost scored off Caffey shot. 5-1 good guys with 2:00 adv after two.

caffey take bottom to start 3rd. Beard flattens him out. Beard showing a good ride. OOB with 1:31 to wrestle. Caffey to his feet and Beard cuts him when he can’t get the mat return, 1:10 to wrestle. Caffey shoots but Beard defends. Beard then shoots in weird exchange but they go OOB with 17 secs to go. Beard was close to a TD. Beard takes it 6-2 with RT. Dominant win by decision; never in doubt.
Excellent PbP. Thanks!

Controlled match by Beard. Great stuff.

Also, Caffey should go down to 184 again. He’s a shadow of what he was in the 2020 B1G final.

Reactions: Str8DBLz
I didn’t watch it but Ayala beat #32 Caleb Smith 5-2 and will have a rematch with #12 Surtin for 3rd. Ayala beat Surtin 9-3 yesterday.

Coming into the Scuffle, Smith was 8-2 with a 6-5 loss to #4 Courtney and a 5-3 loss to #13 Camacho.

edit: my $$$ is that the 3rd place match isn’t wrestled.

Assuming Ayala scores 15 points less than Spencer Lee would, that statement suggests that Hillebrandt scores at least 15 points at NCAAs. Given the tough field at 125, that appears rather optimistic.
I can’t help but envision the scenario in which a blood round match between Hildebrandt and Ayala decides the team championship.

Reactions: Str8DBLz
I think other than O'Toole, ranked #3 at 165, the highest ranked wrestlers in the tourney were at #7.

Two thoughts: 1. PSU backups should/could have shown better. 2. They need to get this tourney back where it once was. PSU needs a great holiday tourney. (Or maybe PSU fans need a great holiday tourney)

Although I am/did follow it like it was the championship:)

Reactions: mcpat
PSU had enough availability in the schedule they could have gone to the scuffle but felt it was best to give the boys off for the holidays to rest.

If you can defend Ayala’s slide by, you have a much better chance of beating him. He hasn’t been in the Iowa room long enough to have a super advanced arsenal of attacks. For this year, guys taking the time to watch film on him will hurt him a lot. After this year all bets are off imo.

Facundo will improve. VanNess will heal. Barlet will be a killer at 141. Somehow the 157 hole will vanish. Penn State is gonna be incredible next year. Would not be surprised if we had 2 or three Hodge finalists next year.
Wouldnt have Dunbar or Boone fit into 157

Wouldnt have Dunbar or Boone fit into 157
Dunbar shirting. Boone theoretically might have been a possibility but has has not wrestled at all this season, not sure why not.

Also should be noted that he's gonna have to fight to make OKST's lineup. They have both Mastro and Voinovich shirting at his weight.

@js8793 got some heat on HR for saying fans are only disappointed with Kennedy because they delusionally thought he was basically interchangeable with Marinelli. Turns out he enjoys backhanding Iowa wrestlers also!

@js8793 got some heat on HR for saying fans are only disappointed with Kennedy because they delusionally thought he was basically interchangeable with Marinelli. Turns out he enjoys backhanding Iowa wrestlers also!
It was a heck a match between the two. Maybe there is something to room familiarity.

It’s not like Kennedy wrestled poorly. He lost by 2 in OT to a ranked wrestler.

We probably all overreact to small sample sizes. Good and bad.

Reactions: WildTurk
It was a heck a match between the two. Maybe there is something to room familiarity.

It’s not like Kennedy wrestled poorly. He lost by 2 in OT to a ranked wrestler.

We probably all overreact to small sample sizes. Good and bad.
Room familiarity is a thing for sure and also I'm pretty sure Bull was out for a while in the summer with his rib injury. Kennedy has wrestled really well at the Scuffle. He's further ahead of Alex offensively for sure but he got lost in a few scrambles. A lot of fans used his close match to Bull as some transitive property that he's basically ready to make the finals but by that logic, Tony Negron is ready to AA at 157 because he took Humphreys to the brink, not how it works.

Reactions: mcpat
I get it, we all love the kid. But, don't you have to beat the other guy at some point?
For sure he does and it's Creighton's spot right now. I'm saying, he looked his best at 165 in his redshirting year. That was a long time ago but maybe the cut is tough on him so maybe going back gives him rejuvenated energy he doesn't have right now.

I get it, we all love the kid. But, don't you have to beat the other guy at some point?
Excellent point. He obviously isn't beating Tony, Barraclough beat him in a wrestle off and I guarantee you Joe Lee is not going to beat Edsell at 165.

Reactions: crockster
For sure he does and it's Creighton's spot right now. I'm saying, he looked his best at 165 in his redshirting year. That was a long time ago but maybe the cut is tough on him so maybe going back gives him rejuvenated energy he doesn't have right now.
Well, ok. And I'm certain if Cael thinks it's best then sure. He would then need to beat Edsall. Can he beat Edsall? Can he beat his brother Joe? Again he needs to win on the mat in order to win the spot.

Facundo will improve. VanNess will heal. Barlet will be a killer at 141. Somehow the 157 hole will vanish. Penn State is gonna be incredible next year. Would not be surprised if we had 2 or three Hodge finalists next year.
Fully healthy Robbie Howard as well!! Gonna enjoy this year as it should be a good race but with Lee out, I think we win this year by more than most think and next year we blow the doors off people!

Reactions: johnstownsteel
Fully healthy Robbie Howard as well!! Gonna enjoy this year as it should be a good race but with Lee out, I think we win this year by more than most think and next year we blow the doors off people!

If you follow Robbie Howard on IG, it appears to me that the young man is very much healthy and, in the words of Napoleon, “Getting after it.”

He did not wrestle well last year at 165 at all. I think the mental part of his game is in shreds . He is not very good on his feet, top, and definitely on the bottom. I had high hopes for him after his RS year, but Joe wasn't wrestled well in 2 years. I think we have to move on and look to others. I personally would rather watch Edsell at 165 and Negron at 157 than Joe.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT