ADVERTISEMENT

149 next year

Ezcheez

Apr 13, 2009
is Sasso the real deal? I’ve heard a couple of things.

Could Verk be an AA?

Verk bear Sasso in freestyle a while back.

Who would you say is the conference champ at 149 next year?

OSU guys told me Sasso losing in room to Micah by a point or two each time when wrestling live. Verk lost close one to Micah....Berge got dominated by Micah....time will tell. :)

Had the chance to watch Sasso at the Edinboro Open. He was pretty slick in the matches I saw, albeit it wasn't the NCAAs competition level.

I would say we see a different version of JVerk this year, just a hunch :cool:, he’s prepared to take 149 and run with it. His only real problem traditionally since he was younger has been getting out from bottom, which is why he has excelled at Freestyle, but as seen at 149 this year if you are slick on your feet you can make up for that.

I would say we see a different version of JVerk this year, just a hunch :cool:, he’s prepared to take 149 and run with it. His only real problem traditionally since he was younger has been getting out from bottom, which is why he has excelled at Freestyle, but as seen at 149 this year if you are slick on your feet you can make up for that.

If only we had a guy around Jarod's weight in the room who has a reputation of being a hammer on top that can help him with the bottom game ;)

Yes
He can
True

B10 149 next year will be very competitive:
- Top contenders likely Verk, Sasso, Lugo, Martin, Brayton Lee (Goofers) in some order.
- Storr may have to move up to make room for Silva (if Micic doesn't take an Olympic shirt).
- Incoming Nebraska true freshman Davenport could make noise if he goes.

Verk and Sasso both had a 2 point loss to Micah (10-8 for Verk and 9-7 for Sasso). Don't forget Sasso has room familiarity with Micah as well. I get transitive property doesn't work but it shows they both can wrestle with a NCAA finalist this year.

I don't now the context of Sasso's (maybe someone can fill me in since it was an Ohio tournament) but Verk had Micah by the balls (in Columbus) and if not for a BS stall call, he likely can ride Micah out and take it to SV. (they also exchanged hands to face penalties)

I think Hayes will be 149 for tOSU next year. He lost nail biter wrestleoffs to JM two years ago and Micah this year. He is not a big 149.
Nope, Sasso will be at 149 for Brutus in 2019-20. This from very reliable source on OhioWrestling board. Can pretty much book it, barring an injury or other unforeseen event.

Don't know what will happen with Hayes, but assume he will compete for the 157 slot.

I don't now the context of Sasso's (maybe someone can fill me in since it was an Ohio tournament)
Was a dead even match. Tied 5-5 going into the 3rd. Micah had choice and chose down. Got out in <30 seconds.
With about 45 seconds to go Sasso (the aggressor, since losing) tried an outside trip to Micah's left leg. Micah big brother'd him...as soon as Sammy moved forward toward the left leg, Micah did a dump/go behind for 2 and the match.

If you watch the embedded video below and go frame by frame...its pretty obvious Micah knew that was coming.

Ah - appreciate it.

For the record, I'd absolutely put Sasso as a favorite over Verk right now. Verk took some head scratching losses this year. Some speculation that he didn't take not being the full time starter well.

Nope, Sasso will be at 149 for Brutus in 2019-20. This from very reliable source on OhioWrestling board. Can pretty much book it, barring an injury or other unforeseen event.

Don't know what will happen with Hayes, but assume he will compete for the 157 slot.

If that is true, and they are appointing the starter rather than allowing Hayes to compete I would expect him to transfer. He has not been able to wrestle his correct weight class yet in his career. I don't think Hayes can get back to 141, but maybe that is an option.

Ah - appreciate it.

For the record, I'd absolutely put Sasso as a favorite over Verk right now. Verk took some head scratching losses this year. Some speculation that he didn't take not being the full time starter well.
Every one of Verk's losses was to an NCAA qualifier. We didn't have that perspective at the time.

He had 5 losses. Nobody questions the Jordan and Berge losses. Of the other 3:
- Artalona finished R12 at nationals. Hopefully nobody questions that loss today.
- Amine was after an unplanned, gameday hard cut when Berge (allegedly) couldn't make weight. Verk gassed. Verk is diabetic -- those cuts are harder on him than most. He won't have any unplanned cuts as the starter.
- Zovitovski was a bad loss -- he lost focus late and lost a match he was winning 5-4 with 5 sec left, then quit and got pinned at the buzzer. He got an earful and made corrections. He has clearly grown since that loss, otherwise would not have been in Jordan's league.

Also, how he handled not being the starter, is by definition entirely immaterial to when he is the starter.

I'm guessing he wrestles off a stud for the 3rd year in a row... after losing his spot to injury/Pletcher as a rs frosh. Kinda feel for the kid as I'm sure he's had to question his college choice at least a couple times.

I wonder if he gets a 6th year to wrestloff stud #4 to start 2020. If he loses that he can be their 165 (I say that tongue-in-cheek).

All that said Hayes started off as a 141 before losing wrestle offs. I wouldn't be shocked to see him back at 141 to end his career.

Every one of Verk's losses was to an NCAA qualifier. We didn't have that perspective at the time.

- Artalona finished R12 at nationals. Hopefully nobody questions that loss today.
- Amine was after an unplanned, gameday hard cut when Berge (allegedly) couldn't make weight. Verk gassed. Verk is diabetic -- those cuts are harder on him than most. He won't have any unplanned cuts as the starter.
- Zovitovski was a bad loss -- he lost focus late and lost a match he was winning 5-4 with 5 sec left, then quit and got pinned at the buzzer. He got an earful and made corrections. He has clearly grown since that loss, otherwise would not have been in Jordan's league.

Also, how he handled not being the starter, is by definition entirely immaterial to when he is the starter.

Jarod lost a lot of weight in a few hours before the amine match direct result was him having 0 in the tank. Berge likely wasn’t making 149 that day, Jarod did, means a lot to the team. Means a lot going forward too imo.

Good analysis, you make a good point. Jarod's only bad loss was getting pinned at the Scuffle. I think the mentality thing came from the fact he always lost his first wrestleback match in tournaments. I remember the one against the App State kid, once he got taken down near the end, he was kind of like meh and accepted defeat cause whether he got pinned or lost by 1, it's a loss.

The talent is clearly there. I remember the Malik Amine match. He was visibly gassed but he had a duck under that match that I still think was the best takedown by a Penn Stater all year. Like Jkos11 mentioned above, he's fantastic in neutral. I feel there is nobody at 149 he can't take down.

Off subject, I know Jarod was a highly touted recruit and virtually opted to walk on here. People also weren't sure where he fit into the lineup (especially with Teasdale/RBY/Lee looking to occupy 133 to 149 in some way) and Berge looking to occupy 157. But he bet on himself because he clearly has a goal to be a National Champion and felt his room is where he can get it done.

I'm guessing he wrestles off a stud for the 3rd year in a row... after losing his spot to injury/Pletcher as a rs frosh. Kinda feel for the kid as I'm sure he's had to question his college choice at least a couple times.

I wonder if he gets a 6th year to wrestloff stud #4 to start 2020. If he loses that he can be their 165 (I say that tongue-in-cheek).

All that said Hayes started off as a 141 before losing wrestle offs. I wouldn't be shocked to see him back at 141 to end his career.

I was told by tOSU faithful sitting in front of me in Pittsburgh Hayes to 141... his natural weight they say

I was told by tOSU faithful sitting in front of me in Pittsburgh Hayes to 141... his natural weight they say

I didn't watch Hayes that closely this year but was he getting rag dolled for the most pat (not counting Jason) at 157 .... A natural 141 wrestling 157 ... yikes.

I could be full of baloney, but I have a really tough time picturing Hayes wrestling 141 and having any kind of gas tank.

Reactions: Str8DBLz
Sammy is probably going to be really freaking good.
It is a shame he couldn't stay out of trouble when he was younger.
Not the first kid to have some issues when younger. This would be a reason why recruiting kids when they are very young can be very difficult. Sammy's issues were more his sophomore and junior year. By his senior year I was told he had gotten his act together. I think Ohio State was willing to allow his senior year to be enough to take a chance on him.

Heard the same thing. Hayes was essentially wrestling at his walk-around weight this season and will go 141 next year.

Time will tell, I guess. With the consensus of Sasso @ 149 for the Buckeyes, Hayes at 141 or 157 is quite the choice. Since Mr. Hayes didn't weigh in on ohiowrestling.net, I'm guessing 141 is possible.

Not the first kid to have some issues when younger. This would be a reason why recruiting kids when they are very young can be very difficult. Sammy's issues were more his sophomore and junior year. By his senior year I was told he had gotten his act together. I think Ohio State was willing to allow his senior year to be enough to take a chance on him.
By the time Sammy had gotten to his senior year Penn State had Berge and Verkleeren in the fold.
Also, by the time Sammy had gotten to his senior year Penn State had not been part of the conversation for a year. By this time it was Ohio State.

At the end of the day, even if Sammy wins 3 titles, with the timing of everything it will still be it was a real shame Sammy could not stay out of trouble.

Once in the fold everybody gets a second chance. There is however, only one chance to enter the fold. Sammy missed that chance by finding trouble.

Penn State missed nothing. The man running the program has a standard, and to date it is impossible to cognitively fault that standard.

Reactions: jschrantz
Time will tell, I guess. With the consensus of Sasso @ 149 for the Buckeyes, Hayes at 141 or 157 is quite the choice. Since Mr. Hayes didn't weigh in on ohiowrestling.net, I'm guessing 141 is possible.
You’re talking about Justin Hayes? I don’t know if him and Ke-Shawn are actually related

Reactions: RoarLions1

If only Chlebove didn’t commit a sex act , let’s get away from the what if’s with D-11. Yes, I know about Whitey and Zeke’s history, jeez sayin’

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT