ADVERTISEMENT

141-149 situation...

Is RBY certified at 125?

Moving two kids down is better than one up? I really don't think we want to go there. They are already 5-10+ lbs down from their natural weights just to hit their wrestling weight.

We are talking lighter weights here, not Shak dancing between 184 and 197. Light weights down 8 and 7 additional lbs respectively is very difficult not to mention a lengthy decent plan not to mention they might suck at the lower weight with reduced strength and gas tank, all to put a true freshman in the lineup one weight down instead of up? And, in so doing knocking Howard out of possible consideration, as well as RBY out of a likely top 4 or better at his regular weight.

I think that plan could absolutely lower our points total at all three weights 125, 133 and 149. Other than that it's genius.

I'll take Beau having an outside 'shot' at going a weight up, 'if' #1 he even wants to try, and #2 if he can earn the spot. No guarantees on either one, and I think that represents the limits of Cael's flexibility on this one.

If not Howard/Shunk, RBY, Lee, Verk/Gardner/Claw all operating at full strength ain't so bad compared to all but 2-3 other teams nationally.

Last edited:
With just over 4 weeks remaining until the post-season, I can’t see any scenario where Nick suddenly decides to move up. 8lbs is a lot of weight. IMO, with this being a “free year,” my bet is they turn Beau loose at 49 and hope for the best. I thought he looked a little small for 41, so I’m not sure how well a weight jump would work out.
All things considered, I love where this team is at. A top 3 finish is probable, then they’re back in the mix again next year.
And did I miss the thread where we all agreed that Aaron Brooks is savage?

I am devastated to learn chats on websites don't change the world. Now you are going tell professional wrestling isn't professional. :rolleyes:

Seriously. Message boards are for speculation, not because we think the coaches actually read them. If the answer to everything is “Cael will do whatever is best!” then there’s pretty much no point to have this forum.

Seriously. Message boards are for speculation, not because we think the coaches actually read them. If the answer to everything is “Cael will do whatever is best!” then there’s pretty much no point to have this forum.
I’m here for the tumors, the actual news, the banter, the camaraderie of shared experiences and the gifs. I tolerate the speculation, and even participate on occasion. I just think the “Cael needs to...” stuff is pretty silly, that’s all.

I’m here for the tumors, the actual news, the banter, the camaraderie of shared experiences and the gifs. I tolerate the speculation, and even participate on occasion. I just think the “Cael needs to...” stuff is pretty silly, that’s all.

Rumors, sure!! Tumors, no thanks, I’ll pass, LOL

Please never edit "I'm here for the tumors"
giphy.gif

Moving two kids down is better than one up? I really don't think we want to go there. They are already 5-10+ lbs down from their natural weights just to hit their wrestling weight.

We are talking lighter weights here, not Shak dancing between 184 and 197. Light weights down 8 and 7 additional lbs respectively is very difficult not to mention a lengthy decent plan not to mention they might suck at the lower weight with reduced strength and gas tank, all to put a true freshman in the lineup one weight down instead of up? And, in so doing knocking Howard out of possible consideration, as well as RBY out of a likely top 4 or better at his regular weight.

I think that plan could absolutely lower our points total at all three weights 125, 133 and 149. Other than that it's genius.

I'll take Beau having an outside 'shot' at going a weight up, 'if' #1 he even wants to try, and #2 if he can earn the spot. No guarantees on either one, and I think that represents the limits of Cael's flexibility on this one.

If not Howard/Shunk, RBY, Lee, Verk/Gardner/Claw all operating at full strength ain't so bad compared to all but 2-3 other teams nationally.
Yeah, the primary argument for considering moving Lee up to 149 is that his chance to be a national champ at 149 is just as good as it is at 141. The same argument clearly cannot be made for moving RBY down to 125. I think that idea is DOA.

Did anyone say "Cael needs to..." anything? Maybe they did, I don't recall

Well if there is going to be a wrestle off between Beau and Nick, one would think it needs to be this weekend. Doesn't anyone out there know a janitor who can peek through the window? Where is Spyker when you need him? Bummer no coaches show for Cael this week, as if ....

I think we will either hear buzz of Beau ascending by the end of this weekend or 149 will be relegated to Verk, Claw and Gardner alone.

Full court press needed in every restaurant this weekend in SC looking for a BB sighting. Anyone seeing him hanging out with Cassar or Seth might be a good sign. Come on kid, take a few burgers for the team!

I get the sense Beau is just not into any thought of 149, but maybe when Nick shuts the door on 141 he might open his mind. Would love to hear rumors of him wrestling off for 149 even while still 141.

Someone plant the seed none has ever won back to back national championships with the first coming at a higher weight :)

Reactions: pointingdogsrule
No he didn't. He wrestled at 141. See link.

Yes, I looked at this site after I had posted, I know that I read it somewhere, and then the play by play guys repeated it during his match at Wisconsin. Do obviously my guess is incorrect.

Well if there is going to be a wrestle off between Beau and Nick, one would think it needs to be this weekend. Doesn't anyone out there know a janitor who can peek through the window? Where is Spyker when you need him? Bummer no coaches show for Cael this week, as if ....

I think we will either hear buzz of Beau ascending by the end of this weekend or 149 will be relegated to Verk, Claw and Gardner alone.

Full court press needed in every restaurant this weekend in SC looking for a BB sighting. Anyone seeing him hanging out with Cassar or Seth might be a good sign. Come on kid, take a few burgers for the team!

I get the sense Beau is just not into any thought of 149, but maybe when Nick shuts the door on 141 he might open his mind. Would love to hear rumors of him wrestling off for 149 even while still 141.

Someone plant the seed none has ever won back to back national championships with the first coming at a higher weight :)
From what I heard he was at Cenzo's eating pasta. ;)

I am surprised there has been no discussion of Bo Pipher going 149. He was clearly overmatched last year at 157 but he would be an interesting guy at 149 if that pull isn't too big.

There is rumor going around that the 149 wrestle off bracket has finally been set. Double elimination. 16 kids are vying for the starting slot and the round robin tourney will take 3 weeks to complete

Reactions: nitlion6
After a day to reflect I have to think it is something like this, and nothing to get too nervous about:

*Beau and Nick are both optimal at 141.
*Beau has clearly expressed a desire to have the opportunity to win the slot and Cael has agreed to provide him with that chance
*They either have not yet wrestled off or the wrestle off is a multi-match affair and has not been completed
*The loser will move to 149 and then wrestle off with the winner of that weight after their respective wrestle offs (Presumably Verk)
*There is no time to have the 141 entrant go up against Bear Claw, Gardner and Verk
*BB beating Verk is not a given by any stretch, Verk can keep the score low against anyone.
*IMO - At this stage of their mutual development there is no way Nick Lee will lose this wrestle off so "if" Beau wants to compete in the tourneys he will l need to move up and win the 149 spot
*Given where we are in the season, the situation at 141 and 149 has to resolve in the next 1-2 weeks
*It will be exceedingly difficult for Beau to add 5-8 lbs of good weight while at the same time training to peak for the NC, hence his performance in Bigs will be secondary to the NC plan, so don't expect 'great' things at Bigs.
*I believe Cael thinks that an undersized BB is our best chance for the most points at Nationals, so it will probably happen
* If by chance BB has no interest in moving up, I think Verk is in the lead but more wrestle offs, and dual starter rotation is likely before the Bigs final decision is made.

*Groundhog day - Take 7 months off and potentially deal with the exact same issue next year. We may know by August if one of the two relents and starts porking up.
Also with everyone being able to comeback next year. If no one moves up then you're talking Bartlett spends his first two years on the sidelines most likely. Taking a rs next year which I could see Cael being a proponent of. Maybe next year Lee moves up at least.
Then next year Bartlett could have to fend off van ness. The extra year kinda throws a monkey wrench into things but it'll just make the lineups that make older and stronger.

Also with everyone being able to comeback next year. If no one moves up then you're talking Bartlett spends his first two years on the sidelines most likely. Taking a rs next year which I could see Cael being a proponent of. Maybe next year Lee moves up at least.
I believe the Nick has a RS still available

Then next year Bartlett could have to fend off van ness. The extra year kinda throws a monkey wrench into things but it'll just make the lineups that make older and stronger.
Hoosier Lion says the plan is 141 for Nick next year also, but of course things could always change.

My brain took extended lunch

Yep, with the combo of grey shirts, red shirts, olympic redshirts, 6th year medicals and Covid bonus years, we may soon see a father-son combination on the same team somewhere.

Silliness aside, managing a deepening team, with a 9.9 scholy cap in times of the transfer portal might get really difficult for coaches and interesting for fans. I can only assume that some scholarships get reduced, or inbound guys have less available due to guys staying on on the roster longer than originally planned or budgeted. Potentially ugly.

Yep, with the combo of grey shirts, red shirts, olympic redshirts, 6th year medicals and Covid bonus years, we may soon see a father-son combination on the same team somewhere.

Silliness aside, managing a deepening team, with a 9.9 scholy cap in times of the transfer portal might get really difficult for coaches and interesting for fans. I can only assume that some scholarships get reduced, or inbound guys have less available due to guys staying on on the roster longer than originally planned or budgeted. Potentially ugly.
You nailed it. Throw-in roster number limitations, line-up logjams, partial scholarships for most wrestlers and people wanting to get on with life, very few coaches and wrestlers probably know who is coming back next year.

You nailed it. Throw-in roster number limitations, line-up logjams, partial scholarships for most wrestlers and people wanting to get on with life, very few coaches and wrestlers probably know who is coming back next year.
Can you invest money in the Transfer Portal? It's stock is going to skyrocket........ without Reddit :)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT