ADVERTISEMENT

10 All-Americans?

It seems like a good year to repeat history if lineups stay healthy. Iowa certainly has a shot if Brands, Young, and Murin can hold serve. We do too, but I'd have to assume 149 and 157 shake out well for us, and Howard is able to start. Michigan is probably a bit more of a stretch, but they're worth mentioning.

Done once, by the 2001 Minnesota team. With a somewhat diluted field, any chance we see that again this year?

Perhaps a dumb question, why was it a diluted field in 2001?

Probably the wrong board to ask this question, but how do you think history will view last year's Iowa team who technically had 10 All-Americans? I think there are too many external factors to do it this year for Iowa on top of things like injuries or upsets that happen in a normal season.

Perhaps a dumb question, why was it a diluted field in 2001?

Probably the wrong board to ask this question, but how do you think history will view last year's Iowa team who technically had 10 All-Americans? I think there are too many external factors to do it this year for Iowa on top of things like injuries or upsets that happen in a normal season.
The diluted field reference was to 2021.

Technically, Iowa had 0 AA's last season, unless I'm missing something.

Absolutely!

I only really scoured the field and lineups with one good deep dive this year, but a R12 or lower final placement would be surprising for every one of the Hawkeye's 10 weights.

Same mostly goes for PSU, with health question marks today that will definitely be answered by B1Gs. If Howard, Verk or Kerk are the starters at B1Gs, we'll know by then whether they're Top-8 or not, is my guess.

Michigan is also extremely capable of it, if Micic, Elder Amine & Embree go.

If we take Health out of it as a wildcard and call it FullStrenth for errrybody, I'll guess 2 or 3 teams pull it off.

The missing Ivies really bolster the Haves vs the Have Nots at that otherwise volatile tourney.

The real technicality that we learned last year is that the NWCA 'awards' the All-Americans. In past years, the NWCA's list was identical to the final placements at Nationals, but last year, the NWCA 'awarded' AA anyways.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany

The real technicality that we learned last year is that the NWCA 'awards' the All-Americans. In past years, the NWCA's list was identical to the final placements at Nationals, but last year, the NWCA 'awarded' AA anyways.

Let it be known far and wide that Roar missed something! ;)

10 AAs odds
Iowa 40%
PSU 25%
Michigan 3%
Minnesota -83%

It is the coaches association who gives All-Americans I believe. Iowa release. They gave 1-8 seeds first-team, 9-12 second team, and 13-16 honorable mention. Iowa had 9 first-team and Assad was #11 seed for second team.

Let it be known far and wide that Roar missed something! ;)

10 AAs odds
Iowa 40%
PSU 25%
Michigan 3%
Minnesota -83%
Cornell odds:

f962a531adda69d0ce46dd274f1053dc.gif

Probably the wrong board to ask this question, but how do you think history will view last year's Iowa team who technically had 10 All-Americans?

As an Iowa fan, as much as I really, really want to and feel that they all deserve it, I just cannot count last year's "paper" AA's.

Iowa has a legit chance to do it this year and next. But, getting 10 AA's has only happened once for a reason: it's damn tough to do...

Probably the wrong board to ask this question, but how do you think history will view last year's Iowa team who technically had 10 All-Americans?
Probably about the same as history views the 1994 New York Times National Champions banner at Beaver Stadium.

A shame that neither team had an opportunity to earn the title.

Done once, by the 2001 Minnesota team. With a somewhat diluted field, any chance we see that again this year?
Diluted field indeed, but isnt that kinda offset by the fact that teams can put their absolute best team on the mat this year without worrying bout eligibility?

I understand the NWCA announcement re. AA's. What about the official record, which is the NCAA? It'll go down in the record books as no team champion, no AA's.

My opinion is that Iowa was a solid favorite, but unfortunately for all the teams, the tournament was cancelled, and 330 wrestlers didn't get a chance to chase their dreams, sadly.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
Diluted field indeed, but isnt that kinda offset by the fact that teams can put their absolute best team on the mat this year without worrying bout eligibility?
Good question. Without looking at some data, I really don't know.

The Ivy League (all are from the EIWA, I believe) departure doesn't have the impact I thought it did when I posted. Only six weight classes have guys currently in Wrestlestats top-10 that are Ivy League wrestlers. Each weight class (125, 141, 165, 184, 197 & 285) only has one rep from that conference. Again, that's fewer than I thought. Covid-related absences might have more impact this year, though I hope not.

Take Iowa as a for instance...
Their guys are #'s, 1, 4, 2, 6, 6, 2, 1, 9, 4, 3, from 125 through 285, so at full strength (no injuries or Covid-related absences) they appear to have the best chance. At 184, I don't see any guy ranked above the Iowa wrestler that would have red-shirted this year. All others are 6th and above, even without teams using redshirts, so I don't believe it's that impactful.

I'd take a look at PSU, but there's so many freshman starters that we don't have rankings to use to make sense of their position. I could take a stab at where they fit, I guess.

I understand the NWCA announcement re. AA's. What about the official record, which is the NCAA? It'll go down in the record books as no team champion, no AA's.

My opinion is that Iowa was a solid favorite, but unfortunately for all the teams, the tournament was cancelled, and 330 wrestlers didn't get a chance to chase their dreams, sadly.

I think this is the right way to look at it. Spencer Lee said it's how he looks at, after being asked about the paper NWCA designation.

So curious about that link--and that the NCAA list includes OkSt team titles in 1928, 1931 & 1933, along with Iowa State with a team title in 1933! Those three years there was no official Team Scoring, according to what I've read from Jay Hammond's posted brackets at http://www.wrestlingstats.com/ncaa/brackets.htm.

It looks like that NCAA record book link grants those team titles on the basis of the # of Champions:
1928: OkSt had 4 Champs; Iowa State, Iowa & NW each had 1
1931: OkSt had 4; Iowa State, Kansas State, Lehigh & NW each had 1
1933: OkSt AND Iowa State each had 3 Champs.

I've always treated all 4 of those team titles as "claimed National Championships", ala Pitt football. Hence the mockery of the name of OkSt's Rivals Board "34 & Counting Poorly" (cuz it's officially only 31, get it?)

So I find that fs.ncaa.org site's .pdf extremely interesting.

Reactions: NoVaLion2
As well as the defending 4th place BIG 10 finisher.(all in good fun, calm down....)

I find this fair, hilarious and extremely fun.

Will definitely be using this in my next article: "Defending 4x National Champion and Big Ten Fourth Place Penn State Nittany Lions"!

It's a great running gag with my brutus friends who maintain that the B1G Champ is the champ of the 'greatest tournament in all the land.'

That was the year I starting watching college wrestling again, and If I remember correctly Minny did not have and champs??
I'm pretty sure they didn't even have any finalists that year, and still won it all!

That was the year I starting watching college wrestling again, and If I remember correctly Minny did not have and champs??
I'm pretty sure they didn't even have any finalists that year, and still won it all!

That is correct. Very fun tournament as both the Iowa and Minnesota crowds were quite vocal. I remember Iowa fans chanting 4,4,4 when Strittmatter, Jeurgens, Schwab, and TJ Williams all made the finals. Minnesota fans had their own chant going of 10,10,10 when all their wrestlers became All-Americans.

Reactions: tabenn

Not only no champs but no finalists. Only team to ever win the NCAA team title with no finalists.

Not only no champs but no finalists. Only team to ever win the NCAA team title with no finalists.
Other than Minny in 2001,
In the last 41 years of championships, from 1979 on (when the NCAA went from 6 to 8 All-American spots), there's only been two other teams to win a team championship with no individual champions. Both had one finalist who ended up a runner-up.

The NCAA doesn't officially award All-Americans, so it goes down in the records book as "no championship held" just like the WWII years. So the official record of "All-Americans" is the group that awards the All-Americans. In roundball, it's the AP, in wrestling, it's the NWCA.

If you want to correct the discussion to equate with the results of the tournament, then say placewinners. The All-Americans are what they are for 2020. The method was different in 2020, but guess what isn't different - the plaque that says All-American on it. Previous years had a placement, last year has "first team" etc. on it.

So who's got the best shot at 10 placewinners? The NCAA individual trophies also don't say All-American on them.

F@<k no! Hell we don’t have a soul on campus that can make 125 and we are a Rutgers mess at 149 and 197
OMG, we have two 125 options that just were not medically cleared for this meet. One of those options even travelled with the team to get in the flow. Now if we forfeit that weight next week, then you can start pulling the fire alarm.

OMG, we have two 125 options that just were not medically cleared for this meet. One of those options even travelled with the team to get in the flow. Now if we forfeit that weight next week, then you can start pulling the fire alarm.
remember Covid-19 protocol is 17 days

Reactions: nitlion6
I remember being there and the entire crowd was chanting "ZERO" after their last semi finalist went down. Granted it was mostly Iowa fans but still funny to see the rodents faces when that chant was going on.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT