ADVERTISEMENT

#1 overall recruit commited to Ohio State but has not sent in NLI as of yet.

It's crazy he was waiting for the money to be finalized - College football is really pro and they will need to look to put in a (NIL) salary cap soon.
I read this on another site;

Arch Manning made over $3.2 Million in NIL money this year as the Texas Longhorns backup QB. Brock Purdy, the QB of the 49ers made $870,000 for the 2023 season.

The main Miami backer - some guy named Ruiz - has SUPPOSEDLY thrown close to $40 million to Miami football team - roster players and recruits and he's not the only Miami backer throwing this insane money around.

And of course, Uncle Phil (Phil Knight-Nike) has given his alma mater - Oregon - a blank check to get what they want. Then there are the Texas schools, Louisville and a handful of others that are spinning NIL out of control.

Since this article is about WR Jeremiah Smith, I also read that he almost chose Miami over OSU after that school raised its "NIL" offer to around 2.5 to $3 million. Think about that.....$3 million for a kid that has never thrown a CF pass. He chose OSU for a much, much lesser amount because of his chance to be developed for the NFL by OSU's Brian Hartline.

Reactions: bison13
Sad state this "college" football.
It's crazy he was waiting for the money to be finalized - College football is really pro and they will need to look to put in a (NIL) salary cap soon.
What honestly is wrong about the kid’s actions? If someone or some entity promised you a seven figure paycheck for your services, you’re telling me that you wouldn’t want that in writing? Not all coaches and NIL collectives are paragons of honesty. The fact that it’s for college football is immaterial. If anyone is truly shady, blame the adults throwing ridiculous money in front of high school kids for playing a game.

I read this on another site;

Arch Manning made over $3.2 Million in NIL money this year as the Texas Longhorns backup QB. Brock Purdy, the QB of the 49ers made $870,000 for the 2023 season.

The main Miami backer - some guy named Ruiz - has SUPPOSEDLY thrown close to $40 million to Miami football team - roster players and recruits and he's not the only Miami backer throwing this insane money around.

And of course, Uncle Phil (Phil Knight-Nike) has given his alma mater - Oregon - a blank check to get what they want. Then there are the Texas schools, Louisville and a handful of others that are spinning NIL out of control.

Since this article is about WR Jeremiah Smith, I also read that he almost chose Miami over OSU after that school raised its "NIL" offer to around 2.5 to $3 million. Think about that.....$3 million for a kid that has never thrown a CF pass. He chose OSU for a much, much lesser amount because of his chance to be developed for the NFL by OSU's Brian Hartline.
Sorta makes you wonder whether at some point the schools role starts to raise title ix issues.

What honestly is wrong about the kid’s actions? If someone or some entity promised you a seven figure paycheck for your services, you’re telling me that you wouldn’t want that in writing? Not all coaches and NIL collectives are paragons of honesty. The fact that it’s for college football is immaterial. If anyone is truly shady, blame the adults throwing ridiculous money in front of high school kids for playing a game.

Exactly. Well said.

100% agree - if it was my kid I would want all the money I could get for him and get it in writing but I do think this further pulls the mask off college athletics as anything other than a for profit endeavor which of course it always was. Maybe in a weird way it will help smaller schools compete if they have a sugar daddy or mommy to fund their NIL programs and buy better recruits.

WR Jeremiah Smith, I also read that he almost chose Miami over OSU after that school raised its "NIL" offer to around 2.5 to $3 million. Think about that.....$3 million for a kid that has never thrown a CF pass. He chose OSU for a much, much lesser amount because of his chance to be developed for the NFL by OSU's Brian Hartline.

No idea about the $ he got from OSU, but it certainly seems like he got them to raise their offer before signing. I certainly don't believe his deal wasn't finalized prior to yesterday morning, when seemingly all the other 5*s signed their NLI.

Wouldn't you agree?

Agree. Give the kid credit for making sure and not just trusting everyone. Most 18 year olds today are naive as hell.

No idea about the $ he got from OSU, but it certainly seems like he got them to raise their offer before signing. I certainly don't believe his deal wasn't finalized prior to yesterday morning, when seemingly all the other 5*s signed their NLI.

Wouldn't you agree?
I'm sure OSU shelled out some sizable NIL ---- but I would imagine PSU, ND and Michigan had to give some NIL to some of their recruits also. But none of these Midwest schools come close to Miami, Texas A&M, Texas, Louisville and a few others' massive NIL amounts ...... especially TAMU and Miami. That Texas oil money goes far.

Last edited:
I'm sure OSU shelled out some sizable NIL ---- but I would imagine PSU, ND and Michigan had to give some NIL to some of their recruits also. But none of these Midwest schools come close to Miami, Texas A&M, Texas, Louisville and a few others' massive NIL amounts ...... especially TAMU and Miami. That Texas oil money goes far.

It’s crazy out there these days.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT