ADVERTISEMENT

Your credit card chip on someone else's card

retsio

Feb 18, 2003
Naples, FL
.........From -- Trustwave.com, an internet security company

"I simply wanted to know if a chip came off your card, could someone then put that on another card or medium and would it work. The answer is an absolute *Yes* provided that it is completely intact and undamaged.

The probability of your chip becoming unglued is pretty low, compounded with someone subsequently finding your chip and doing something malicious with it further decreases the overall risk in this situation. I had to do quite a bit of work to get the chip off without damaging it and making it inoperable. That being said, manufacturing issues, wear and tear, excessive moisture and heat could lead to the glue weakening and you should be aware that there is a real possibility of your chip falling off."

.........From -- Trustwave.com, an internet security company

"I simply wanted to know if a chip came off your card, could someone then put that on another card or medium and would it work. The answer is an absolute *Yes* provided that it is completely intact and undamaged.

The probability of your chip becoming unglued is pretty low, compounded with someone subsequently finding your chip and doing something malicious with it further decreases the overall risk in this situation. I had to do quite a bit of work to get the chip off without damaging it and making it inoperable. That being said, manufacturing issues, wear and tear, excessive moisture and heat could lead to the glue weakening and you should be aware that there is a real possibility of your chip falling off."

Don't understand.....the chip, for all intents and purposes, is the card. If someone was going to take your card and remove it, why not just use the stolen card? The reason why they've gone to chips is because the old mag stripe used to be able to be skimmed to get the data, and then put back on a different blank card.

The bottom line is that if someone wants to steal your personal information via electronic means, it's going to happen.

Statistically speaking the odds of someone being able to steal & use your credit card is small. By taking reasonable precautions including beefing up your computer's security, monitoring statements, and monitoring credit reports you're doing all that you can. There's no reason to be overly concerned.

Sorry, but LifeLock and other companies offering the same services for a fee make me cringe.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT