ADVERTISEMENT

You Want A Bargain? What's Better Than Free?

DavidM

Gold Member
Aug 27, 2002
Annapolis, MD
My historical novel Eadric And The Wolves in eBook form is going to be free to download from Amazon all day Saturday and Sunday. Assuming any of you have a Kindle or similar device and haven't gotten my novel yet, here's a great no-lose opportunity. It’s simple: if you download it and either forget about it or start reading it and don't like it, you've lost nothing. However, if you read it and like it, I'd be grateful if you'd at least mention it to somebody else--and maybe even consider doing a short review yourself. Help spread the word about an author who is a Penn State alum.

The initial reviews have been great, and you might be surprised that events and characters from so long ago can remain as compelling as this, even for people who aren’t into historical novels.

Amazon product ASIN B071NBYWJX

Andy Weir, who became a huge author because of his novel The Martian, self-published that book, and it just took off--so you never know when something will catch the fancy of the reading public.

Reactions: Sharkies
Ok, I'm impressed! Another free offer--although you should keep in mind that my eBook doesn't require food or any sort of shelter--or even any training to prevent dangerous behavior! :rolleyes:

My historical novel Eadric And The Wolves in eBook form is going to be free to download from Amazon all day Saturday and Sunday. Assuming any of you have a Kindle or similar device and haven't gotten my novel yet, here's a great no-lose opportunity. It’s simple: if you download it and either forget about it or start reading it and don't like it, you've lost nothing. However, if you read it and like it, I'd be grateful if you'd at least mention it to somebody else--and maybe even consider doing a short review yourself. Help spread the word about an author who is a Penn State alum.

The initial reviews have been great, and you might be surprised that events and characters from so long ago can remain as compelling as this, even for people who aren’t into historical novels.

David just downloaded and look forward to reading your novel. Congrats and good luck!

Excellent! Hope you enjoy it. Very different times, but the human condition remains the same.

As I said above, if you like it, tell somebody else about it when you're finished. Thanks.

Last edited:
I "purchased it for free" and will give it a read. I enjoy writing and would like to write when I retire...which hopefully will be sooner rather than later! Best wishes and good luck with your writing career. BTW, years ago, I read an article, "The Internet Debacle" by Janis Ian ("At 17"):

https://www.janisian.com/reading/internet.php
https://www.janisian.com/reading/internet.php
where she praised "free" music downloads as a way to increase sales. Her article shows that worked for at least one book author as well. I believe this is an excellent strategy and I hope it works out for you!

Although I taught creative writing to some very bright high school students for many years, I discovered that writing a novel was considerably more difficult than I expected. Thanks for the kind words--good luck with your writing ambitions as well. Creating an audience from nothing remains a big challenge, but the internet and social media are slowly changing the publishing world.

IF you enjoyed it, please tell somebody else about it. Somebody--anybody. Of course, in the best of all possible worlds, a brief review on Amazon and maybe even Goodreads would be a terrific thing, but that's your call.

Great! Welcome to the early 11th century--you don't need to know anything about the period to get into the story. All are welcome to grab a freebie before Sunday comes to an end.

Tonight ends the freebie offer for my novel. Why not take advantage of it and try a novel like you've never read before?

After a few hundred people downloaded the eBook version of Eadric And The Wolves over the weekend, we'll begin to see who the real speed readers are! Reviews are welcome on Amazon, Goodreads, Barnes and Noble, Shelfari, iTunes, Kobo, and anywhere else that accepts reader reviews.

The publishing world is changing rapidly, and readers have more power to influence other readers than ever before. Please use some of that power to help me to share my novel with other folks. If you enjoyed the experience, let them know that they probably will as well.

Reactions: psute

Are you on twitter? Maybe send NeilGaiman (@neilhimself) a tweet to see if he'll re-tweet for his followers. Neil's newest book, 'Norse Mythology', is an Amazon bestseller and he's got a cable TV show hit on his hands with Starz' 'American Gods' adaptation. His readers would probably dig this (and, it's free!). Couldn't hurt...

Amazon product ASIN B01HQA6EOC
515HhtYN0gL.jpg

Sadly, I'm 68 and old school, so twitter is currently beyond me. However, thanks for the suggestion. If any of you younguns would be willing to tweet something to Neil Gaiman, I'd be in your debt.

Last edited:
David, I just wanted to give a big 'thank you' for making your book Eadric and the Wolves available for free the other day. I am well into the book (chapter 6, maybe?) and so far it is turning out to be an excellent read. It's very engaging - interesting details, intrigue, romance... And it's well-written to boot, very nice writing style you have, you keep the story moving along - so far, it's very nicely paced. Once I'm complete with it, I'll write a review (I anticipate it'll be very complimentary, if the book continues as it has). I should add that I am not normally interested in this era of history (other than Monty Python and the Holy Grail...), so I started out a bit skeptical of how interested I'd be...no worries, this book grabs you.

For those who didn't take advantage of David's freebie, I notice the book is only $2.99 on Kindle...and free to rent on Kindle Unlimited. IMO this is a fantastic book and would be well worth $2.99...a great bargain, in fact.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
84Lion: Actually, I think it gets better as the story unfolds--hope you continue to enjoy it. It surely won't measure up to Monty Python :( but I did make a serious effort to make a very different time understandable and the people relatable. Thanks for the post!

By the way, folks, if you buy the paperback ($11.99) you get a book with a really neat-looking cover. Surely that's worth something? :rolleyes:

OK, I finally finished this book. What a fantastic read. (David, I gave a 5-star review on Amazon for you - you deserve it!) The book is truly incredibly engaging from beginning to end. Those who like "happy endings" may be disappointed (I was), but that in no way detracts from my enjoyment of the book - this is "historical fiction," after all, and history certainly doesn't have happy endings every time. David, I'm curious what age level for which you'd say this is appropriate. My thought is junior/senior high school kids and up, given the romantic content, the tales of sexual abuse, and the battle/fights violence. The interesting thing is that this book is certainly readable by middle school kids IMO - it's not a difficult read. Well done! If I ever do pick up my writing career when I retire, I will dig this book out and re-read it as a good example of something to emulate - if not in content, certainly in style.
BTW, Monty Python and the Holy Grail was much more humorous - but your book was much more engaging.

Reactions: ChiTownLion
84Lion: I'm delighted that you enjoyed it, that you were willing to post your reactions here, and that you did the same with an Amazon review. Maybe this will encourage some others for follow suit--or at least give the book a try.

I taught high school for many years, 9th grade through A.P. seniors, and I guess that a typical junior or senior in high school wouldn't be uncomfortable with it. If a slightly younger kid with a mature perspective was interested in reading it, I'd be ok with that, but I'd ballpark it being fine for sixteen year olds and up. You're right--the prose and vocabulary could be handled by many middle school students. However, the modest sexual elements, the abuse, and maybe even a little of the battle violence suggest an older age group.

If your dream is to write when you finally have the time, DO IT, dammit!

Please read 84Lion's comments above--and come and visit England a thousand years ago. Human beings haven't changed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT