ADVERTISEMENT

Yo sluggo72! Did you give the dealership hell?

Since they screwed up the job big time and had given you attitude, I hope you did!
Still traveling won't see them until tomorrow The one dealership was nice enough to put a couple layers of wrap on. We are down to the last one!! Hope it doesn't rain !!!
I'll let you know!!

Here's my up date. I just got off the phone with Ford, but to back track... I got back in town and took it to them first thing Wednesday am. I wasn't going to mess with the service department, I went right to the general manager of the whole place (service and sales are in 2 different locations, probably smart). I did wear my best 'power suit' and Rolex, just to you know, people in suits and ties in WV seem to get more respect. I rehashed the situation from the beginning. The General Manager basically just said, 'we'll make it right' And I said OK.
They called Wednesday afternoon, and said they found the problem, this time I needed a new motor that slides the sunroof back and forth (they replaced the tilt motor before), and it would be $380 to fix it. Well at that point I began to bristle, but calmed down and told them I would get back with them. Hung up, and called the General Manage and asked 'WTF', he said the service writer was wrong, the dealership was taking care of it and it was $0.00 to me. I said okay. They asked if I needed a car, said no, not tonight but I will if it goes longer.
So Thursday the part come in, they swap things around, and guess what?? it still didn't work. They call to tell me that, and that I can get a rental no problem. They seem to have found some water in the switch box (which is what I've told them from the get go) and they would work on it on Friday.
As mentioned, they just called, there is a problem with the slide that covers the sunroof, which was working fine when this all started, and they really didn't know what was going on. They outsource water and wind problems to the water DR, and he'll be in on Monday to look everything over, is that okay?, just drive the rental this weekend. I tell them fine, okay by me, and we'll talk on Monday.

But something is telling me there's another shoe to drop. This is why I wanted Ford involved from the beginning!!

Well got the car back and fixed correctly!! Those motors work for years. So if you have a motor problem you probably have another problem. I did. I don't know where the cart and horse is, but the water MD found the problem. It seems my drain hose for the sun roof was clogged. So it kept filling with water and shorting out the switches and therefore the motors every time you hit the buttons!,
They just fixed it correctly this time, I didn't have to do anything other than pick it up. They actually put it in the detail shop for a quick clean up.
So if you ever have a sunroof fail, check the drain holes!!!

Well got the car back and fixed correctly!! Those motors work for years. So if you have a motor problem you probably have another problem. I did. I don't know where the cart and horse is, but the water MD found the problem. It seems my drain hose for the sun roof was clogged. So it kept filling with water and shorting out the switches and therefore the motors every time you hit the buttons!,
They just fixed it correctly this time, I didn't have to do anything other than pick it up. They actually put it in the detail shop for a quick clean up.
Fixed for how long? :cool:

Fixed for how long? :cool:
good question but at least we know why the motors were being burned out, there was water backing up in the system. Ply a little eclectic and some water , its not a good mix. Now I guess you. could ask, 'how do we know they wont get stopped up again?' and I guess I don't know. They did say there was a kink in the tube they straightened out. I feel better about things now, whenever a dealership just starts changing parts, it is never good sign.

Ask the $64,000 question: how/why did drain hose get blocked?

Good question.
I have a VW Jetta and had a recall for that specific reason.
I never had a problem with it but whenever I take it in for its normal service its always something they check.

that's a good question, and if I knew where the cart and horse in that whole thing was I might peruse it more. The first time my motor was fried, but why would it be? Did the drain holes get clogged up because they did, and then they filled with water and shorted out the system, or did the system short out, the rood vent open (that's what they tell me happens when the motor fails, it automatically opens) and now because the roof vent was open they filled with water and shorted everything out? I don't know. Why was there a kink in the line? Because a tech put it there or because I slammed the door too hard??
At this point, I am out of warranty, Ford the company didn't want to help me, they referred me back to the dealership, so what else can I do?? I'll take any suggestions.

Coming into this thread late so I don't know your y/m/m however, it's one of 2 things. Either the drain tubes(there are usually one in each corner) got bent or they were clogged with debris and not draining quick enough, causing the tray to dump water over the sides and into the switches. Seriously doubt there was a problem with the motors, but I'd need the beginning of the story to take a stronger position.

Do you park under trees or in a garage?

Coming into this thread late so I don't know your y/m/m however, it's one of 2 things. Either the drain tubes(there are usually one in each corner) got bent or they were clogged with debris and not draining quick enough, causing the tray to dump water over the sides and into the switches. Seriously doubt there was a problem with the motors, but I'd need the beginning of the story to take a stronger position.

Do you park under trees or in a garage?
I park under trees. I didn't think the motors would go bad either, so I was surprised when they did. That's why I got upset, I wanted them to go the extra mile and find out way the motors went bad, call Ford and trouble shoot with them, don't just start swapping out parts and billing me.
Is there a way to keep them unclogged or a way to check?? TIA

Can you point me to the thread with all the info from the start? I feel like I'm watching a Tarantino movie. Be happy to tell you what I can after catching up.

CLP. Customer Loyalty Program. If you're barely out of warranty with Ford and you are returning and doing business with your selling dealer the SM should've offered it. Now maybe he's already used up all of his CLP(Ford caps it) and has no more to offer or maybe not. Sounds like he's a prick and I'd find a different dealer. Word of caution though, the harder you are on the people trying to fix the issue upfront before anything has happened, the less help you're gonna get. Don't grind up the people who don't make the decisions/exceptions on coverage.

There certainly is going to be TSB's(technical service bulletins) or SSM's(special service message) about your situation. Info is gathered up so that tech's can look at similar situations. It kind of provides a flowchart for testing and eliminating to locate the problem.

I'd guess the switch got water intrusion, caused the motor to continuously run and burnt it up. They probably only tested power on the motor, not to the motor and probably didn't take the time to get on FMC website to research(TSB's/SSM's) a repair that they were unfamiliar with.

I'd guess the drain tubes were clogged, as it's usually only the older Explorers(00-08) that the tubes get bent, especially parking under trees. Trees are dirty, dirt washes off the leaves, some tree debris falls, it gets pushed to the corners with water and starts to block the tubes. Bad, hard storm hits and it can't displace water fast enough. If you look at your paperwork, there should be a sublet invoice from the water leak company, describing the repair. We sublet water leaks too, most places do as well.

As to what you can do.
1. Never leave the sunroof open when the car is parked.(I know you said you've only used it 5 times)
2. Clean the roof of your car, specifically, the gasket around the sunroof.
3. Wash your car more often.
4. You can run a measured amount of compressed air thru the tubes. Be careful not to put too much pressure through them. They're kinda delicate.
5. You can also wipe your sunroof tray clean.

I'd venture a guess you also get some water in your doors, too?

CLP. Customer Loyalty Program. If you're barely out of warranty with Ford and you are returning and doing business with your selling dealer the SM should've offered it. Now maybe he's already used up all of his CLP(Ford caps it) and has no more to offer or maybe not. Sounds like he's a prick and I'd find a different dealer. Word of caution though, the harder you are on the people trying to fix the issue upfront before anything has happened, the less help you're gonna get. Don't grind up the people who don't make the decisions/exceptions on coverage.

There certainly is going to be TSB's(technical service bulletins) or SSM's(special service message) about your situation. Info is gathered up so that tech's can look at similar situations. It kind of provides a flowchart for testing and eliminating to locate the problem.

I'd guess the switch got water intrusion, caused the motor to continuously run and burnt it up. They probably only tested power on the motor, not to the motor and probably didn't take the time to get on FMC website to research(TSB's/SSM's) a repair that they were unfamiliar with.

I'd guess the drain tubes were clogged, as it's usually only the older Explorers(00-08) that the tubes get bent, especially parking under trees. Trees are dirty, dirt washes off the leaves, some tree debris falls, it gets pushed to the corners with water and starts to block the tubes. Bad, hard storm hits and it can't displace water fast enough. If you look at your paperwork, there should be a sublet invoice from the water leak company, describing the repair. We sublet water leaks too, most places do as well.

As to what you can do.
1. Never leave the sunroof open when the car is parked.(I know you said you've only used it 5 times)
4. You can run a measured amount of compressed air thru the tubes. Be careful not to put too much pressure through them. They're kinda delicate.

Great advice. My advice is trade now. Sell if guilt is an emotion you do not experience.

As to what you can do.

I was good to everybody the first time, I know when and who are trying to help and who has the power. But I asked them to call Ford on my behalf, and when I asked them what was Ford's response, they said they don't bother to do this, that's when I got upset, when the service manager began to mock me, that's when I really got upset ( I never got mad at the service writer, I know he's got no weight) It still does not make sense that when the motor failed, it remained in the open position.

As this repair was 'on the house' I never did get any paperwork, but yes they outsourced it to the waterMD

I was good to everybody the first time, I know when and who are trying to help and who has the power. But I asked them to call Ford on my behalf, and when I asked them what was Ford's response, they said they don't bother to do this, that's when I got upset, when the service manager began to mock me, that's when I really got upset ( I never got mad at the service writer, I know he's got no weight) It still does not make sense that when the motor failed, it remained in the open position.

As this repair was 'on the house' I never did get any paperwork, but yes they outsourced it to the waterMD

When you asked them to call Ford, the SM should've taken the time to explain to you how the process works, explained CLP, offered some kind of a discount, etc. etc. He shouldn't have told you to call Ford, that's just a purposeful waste of time. They call the dealer, ask them if they will assist the customer(can't make them do anything) and redirect the customer right back to the dealer. Big waste of time, most times. Mocking you for basically asking for assistance is a real d-bag move. Again sounds like the SM is prick and I'd suggest a different dealer.

The motor doesn't have a fail safe on it to return it to the closed position. It probably ran until it burnt up and that's the position it failed in.

Do yourself a favor, go to a different dealer and pay to have the other dealers work checked. Your last sentence about not getting any paperwork because it was in house doesn't sit well with me. You're getting a copy of anything we do, even if you're not paying. That just seems off to me.

When you asked them to call Ford, the SM should've taken the time to explain to you how the process works, explained CLP, offered some kind of a discount, etc. etc. He shouldn't have told you to call Ford, that's just a purposeful waste of time. They call the dealer, ask them if they will assist the customer(can't make them do anything) and redirect the customer right back to the dealer. Big waste of time, most times. Mocking you for basically asking for assistance is a real d-bag move. Again sounds like the SM is prick and I'd suggest a different dealer.

The motor doesn't have a fail safe on it to return it to the closed position. It probably ran until it burnt up and that's the position it failed in.

Do yourself a favor, go to a different dealer and pay to have the other dealers work checked. Your last sentence about not getting any paperwork because it was in house doesn't sit well with me. You're getting a copy of anything we do, even if you're not paying. That just seems off to me.
Thanks for the notes, relative to the paperwork, it seemed off to me as well. Maybe I'll just call the service writer and have him send me a copy. The one reason I bought a Ford is, it is relatively close to my work, so they just drop me off, and I know I am not a hassle. I probably will start using the next closest Ford dealership to me. I hate part swappers, and at some places thats' all they know!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT