ADVERTISEMENT

WTF?!? Students need a PERMIT to protest? Can someone please explain.........

Im all for free speech but what PSU did in that writers story is completely within their rights. If these students were simply speaking then Id have an issue with it but they built some kind of "free speech wall". I could be wrong but campus is technically private property. You cant just go erecting walls where ever you want and say they are infringing on your freedom of speech. A wall is not speech.

Reactions: mn78psu83
Im all for free speech but what PSU did in that writers story is completely within their rights. If these students were simply speaking then Id have an issue with it but they built some kind of "free speech wall". I could be wrong but campus is technically private property. You cant just go erecting walls where ever you want and say they are infringing on your freedom of speech. A wall is not speech.

Burning the flag is protected speech. I'd be shocked if a free speech wall is not protected speech. And if the university said they needed a permit to erect the wall, then maybe. But if they said you have to have a permit to protest in a free speech zone, then wow!

I think you're probably right. No one likes the Wlllard preacher but the university has never interfered with him. I think the problem was the physical structure.

I think you're probably right. No one likes the Wlllard preacher but the university has never interfered with him. I think the problem was the physical structure.
Oops, guess I read it too hastily. Requiring a permit to build a structure seems very reasonable.

Call the ACLU. Sue. Contact US Attorney General; he handles crimes against federal government (i.e. constitution).

Go to Old Main and hold an old fashion sit-in with "Hell no we won't go" chants. No damage just peaceful disobedience.

Reactions: eloracv
Speak for yourself. I loved having the preacher around. He was a part of my overall college experience that I wouldn't trade for anything. I suspect that if most thought back they would agree.

The "wall" apparently was made from about 12-16 paper boxes. They've been doing it for years.

To me, the point is that it seems that the only groups that consistently gets nailed for these types of activities are the Young Americans for Liberty & the Young Americans for Freedom. These two groups are constantly getting in trouble for having their table outside of the approved area, or not having a building permit, etc. Over the years it seems to have been selective enforcement.

Reactions: Marshall30
The "wall" apparently was made from about 12-16 paper boxes. They've been doing it for years.

Not sure if you've ever started a business... but if you do you'd see how ridiculous some of the codes are for structures.

Wooden boxes? Too firm. Cardboard boxes? Too flammable. Balloons? Noise pollution.

LdN

To me, the point is that it seems that the only groups that consistently gets nailed for these types of activities are the Young Americans for Liberty & the Young Americans for Freedom. These two groups are constantly getting in trouble for having their table outside of the approved area, or not having a building permit, etc. Over the years it seems to have been selective enforcement.

Im not sure if those are two different groups or not but I tried to look up what this "wall" actually consisted of and came across a video (I assumed it was this group) where some lady was shutting them down. In her defense, they kept going on about free speech and the lady kept telling them that they were completely free to hand out their fliers and talk to however they wanted but they had to take down their table because it wasn't registered. That seems totally fair and constitutional to me. Same as with this "wall" if they are actually two different situations.

Can you name another group that tried to erect a structure on campus property without permission?

Can you name another group that tried to erect a structure on campus property without permission?

I don't think 12-16 empty paper boxes qualifies as a structure. They were too flimsy to stand or sit on, too small to hide in, and not high enough to cause a problem.

Speak for yourself. I loved having the preacher around. He was a part of my overall college experience that I wouldn't trade for anything. I suspect that if most thought back they would agree.
And a nice guy once you got past the fire & brimstone...annoying, sure but all in all harmless.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT