ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling: Quick note

Aug 8, 2010
If you've been following our wrestling message board over the weekend, you probably have already read about this, but I want to address here, too. It was brought to my attention Friday night that heavyweight Nick Nevills was not present at the open practice "Kickoff Event." I've been asking around since, and while there still is no official word from the team, it does sound like Nevills suffered some sort of injury. I don't have enough of the details to say how long Nevills will be out, but right now I'm hearing it will be for an extended period of time. It's possibly even a season-ender, but I'm not willing to say that with certainty until it's announced by the coaches.

The projected starter and the No. 1 heavyweight recruit in the country two years ago, Nevills was the only HWT on Penn State's roster as of last week. Today, however, the team announced the roster addition of Jan Johnson.

As most of you know, Johnson walked on to PSU's football team this season as a linebacker. The football roster lists him at 6-2/216 pounds, while the wrestling roster now lists him as a HWT.

At Governor Mifflin High School in Mohnton, Johnson was a two-time PIAA wrestling champion and recruited by many Division I programs. At Big33 practice this summer, I asked Johnson about the possibility that he might continue his wrestling career in college. “As of right now, no,” he replied. “But who knows?"

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News