ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling Is Sometimes Unpredictable...

It would be interesting to know if line up were the same for all meets. They probably are and just goes to show the transitive property does not exist in wrestling!

...Lehigh 21- Oklahoma State 20...
...Pitt 19 - Lehigh 18...
...Oklahoma State 30 - Pitt 9...

... go figure!... :(
Okie state did give up 6 pts. in a match the were heavily favored to win against Lehigh because of a failed skin check by Reece Witcraft. 23 (or worse ) -14 is within the boundary of expectations.

We’re there any forfeits, injury defaults, points penalized, or most important....lineup differentials with top wrestlers available in one match, but not the other being compared to??

A LOT obviously can go into this... but yes that transitive property example you just gave us an interesting one for sure if none of the aforementioned occurred to help influence the differences in outcomes.

We’re there any forfeits, injury defaults, points penalized, or most important....lineup differentials with top wrestlers available in one match, but not the other being compared to??

A LOT obviously can go into this... but yes that transitive property example you just gave us an interesting one for sure if none of the aforementioned occurred to help influence the differences in outcomes.
I honestly don't remember, I don't even remember what the duals were, only I'd bet they teams involved were Brown, Harvard, Penn, and Princeton. (honestly guessing, but knowing how the Ivy League schedules, it's an educated guess)

Okie state did give up 6 pts. in a match the were heavily favored to win against Lehigh because of a failed skin check by Reece Witcraft. 23 (or worse ) -14 is within the boundary of expectations.
The Okie State-Lehigh ending was very odd. The Cowboys werr up 6 against Lehigh going into the last match(133) and Smith had weighed in another kid because skin issue. Smith chose not to wrestle the other kid because Okie St. thought they had the criteria without needing to wrestle last bout. I was watching it on local cable and the TV announcers along with gym announcer said Okie State was the winner. When they came back after commercial they said Lehigh won because of 3rd criteria. I think the forfeit cancelled out a pin that Okie State had. I think this is where Smith and staff got confused.

Reactions: Dogwelder
The Okie State-Lehigh ending was very odd. The Cowboys werr up 6 against Lehigh going into the last match(133) and Smith had weighed in another kid because skin issue. Smith chose not to wrestle the other kid because Okie St. thought they had the criteria without needing to wrestle last bout. I was watching it on local cable and the TV announcers along with gym announcer said Okie State was the winner. When they came back after commercial they said Lehigh won because of 3rd criteria. I think the forfeit cancelled out a pin that Okie State had. I think this is where Smith and staff got confused.

My point exactly. Except for the decisions at 133......Okie State wins the match in every scenario except what actually played out. Lehigh scored 14 points on the mat while Okie State had 20. Then 133 happened. Bizarre way to win/lose a match.

With all due respect to Coach Smith and his staff. How in the hell don't you know the criteria by heart by now? Or have it handy if the match is close and review it closely with your scorekeeper? I don't get making a mistake like that in a dual meet.

The OK State backup made weight the previous day for the Drexel dual. Apparently, he was only 0.5 lbs over at the Lehigh weigh-in but John Smith didn't want to force him make weight 2 days in a row when there was no expectation that he would wrestle." Smith blamed the Lehigh doctor for the failed skin check on his radio show. He said that in no way was the skin condition contagious (it's apparently acne). Acme-gate?

Humphreys and Kutler were point short of the TF.

The OKS bench should have been penalized a team point during the 125 bout for all the coaches leaving the corner and carrying on on the mat, but somehow the ref missed that.

The OK State backup made weight the previous day for the Drexel dual. Apparently, he was only 0.5 lbs over at the Lehigh weigh-in but John Smith didn't want to force him make weight 2 days in a row when there was no expectation that he would wrestle." Smith blamed the Lehigh doctor for the failed skin check on his radio show. He said that in no way was the skin condition contagious (it's apparently acne). Acme-gate?

Humphreys and Kutler were point short of the TF.

The OKS bench should have been penalized a team point during the 125 bout for all the coaches leaving the corner and carrying on on the mat, but somehow the ref missed that.

“John Smith didnt want to force him to make weight” ???

Did Smith get a heart for christmas, or is this a joke?

Found it...all duals happened either February 3rd or 4th, 2012:

No. 23 Harvard 23, Penn 19
125 – Max Mejia (Harv) fall Karim Shafi (Penn), 0:59, 6-0
133 – No. 12 Steven Keith (Harv) dec. No. 14 Bryan Ortenzio (Penn), 6-2, 9-0
141 – Shay Warren (Harv) dec. Geoffrey Bostany (Penn), 6-3, 12-0
149 – Mark Pinero (Penn) major dec. Patrick Hogan (Harv), 12-1, 12-4
157 – No. 4 Walter Peppelman (Harv) dec. Troy Hernandez (Penn), 5-2, 15-4
165 – Lorenzo Thomas (Penn) fall Ian Roy (Harv), 1:57, 15-10
174 – Josh Popple (Harv) tech. fall Ian Korb (Penn), 19-2 (4:13), 20-10
184 – Cameron Croy (Harv) dec. Erich Smith (Penn), 2-1 TB1, 23-10
197 – No. 9 Micah Burak (Penn) fall Bryan Panzano (Harv), 6:01, 23-16
HWT – Steven Graziano (Penn) dec. David Ng (Harv), 3-2, 23-19

Princeton 25, No. 23 Harvard 14
125 – Ryan Cash (Prince) dec. Max Mejia (Harv), 9-5, 3-0
133 – No. 12 Steven Keith (Harv) major dec. Christopher Perez (Prince), 10-0, 4-3
141 – No. 14 Adam Krop (Prince) dec. Shay Warren (Harv), 8-3, 6-4
149 – Zachary Bintliff (Prince) fall Patrick Hogan (Harv), 4:18, 12-4
157 – No. 19 Daniel Kolodzik (Prince) major dec. No. 4 Walter Peppelman (Harv), 9-1, 16-4
165 – Ian Roy (Harv) dec. Richard Eva (Prince), 3-2, 16-7
174 – Andrew Lowy (Prince) dec. Josh Popple (Harv), 7-5, 19-7
184 – Cameron Croy (Harv) dec. Daniel Santoro (Prince), 8-3, 19-10
197 – Kurt Brendel (Prince) fall Bryan Panzano (Harv), 0:42, 25-10
HWT – David Ng (Harv) major dec. Robert Grogan (Prince), 12-4, 25-14

Brown 28, Princeton 21
125: Billy Watterson major decision (16-7) over Ryan Cash (Brown 4-0)
133: Christopher Perez decision (2-6) T.J. Popolizio (Brown 4-3)
141: Richard Krop pins (6:28) Grant Overcashier (Princeton 9-4)
149: Zachary Bintliff decision (2-8) Ricky Bailey (Princeton 12-4)
157: Daniel Kolodzik tech-fall (0-17) Max Lewin (Princeton 17-4)
165: Jeff Lemmer pins (3:32) Richard Eva (Princeton 17-10)
174: Dave Foxen pins (5:48) Andy Lowy (Princeton 17-16)
184: Ophir Bernstein pins (4:32) Daniel Santoro (Brown 22-17)
197: Kurt Brendel major decision (4-16) Brandon Vorrius (Brown 22-21)
HWT: Sterling Hecox pins (0:57) Charles Fox (Brown 28-21)

Penn 30, Brown 7
125- Billy Watterson WIN by major decision (20-6) over Karim Shafi (Brown 4-0)
133- T.J. Popolizio LOSE by decision (1-8) to No. 15 Bryan Ortenzio (Brown 4-3)
141- Grant Overcashier LOSE by decision (6-8) to Geoff Botsany (Penn 6-4)
149- Ricky Bailey LOSE by decision (5-9) to Mark Pinero (Penn 9-4)
157- Max Lewin LOSE by major decision (1-10) to Troy Hernandez (Penn 13-4)
165- Pat Labuz LOSE by major decision (4-14) to Lorenzo Thomas (Penn 17-4)
174- Dave Foxen LOSE by decision (5-7) to Ian Korb (Penn 20-4)
184- Ophir Bernstein WIN by decision (10-3) over Ian Korb (Penn 20-7)
197- Marcos Aranda LOSE by major decision (4-15) to No. 9 Micah Burak (Penn 24-7)
285- Brown FFTs to Steven Graziano (Penn 30-7)

Sources: Brown and Harvard Sports Information

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT