ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling & Football Scholarships

ptomaselli

Jul 25, 2011
Pottstown PA via Lehman PA
Hey gang,

Regarding Gaige Garcia doing both FB & wrestling for the Michigan Wolverines, what are the rules regarding scholarships?

With only 9.9 scholarships, they likely wouldn't give him a full ride in wrestling,right?

What if Michigan gives Garcia a full ride in football...how does that affect wrestling? Are they separate? Or does his FB scholarship count for something against Wrestling's 9.9?

Thanks!

Once a wrestler graduates and is no longer under NCAA nor institutional control his entire student loan debt can be paid in full by outside funding sources. So receiving a wrestling scholarship no longer becomes a factor.

You should already know this.

pretty sure the football scholarship counts fir nothing towards wrestling.

Don’t think a scholarship athlete from a different sport can walk on the football team, as soon as they play I believe it counts against footballs total.

15.5.9.1 Football. [FBS/FCS] In football, a counter who was recruited (per Bylaw 15.02.9) and/or offered financial aid to participate in football and who participates (practices or competes) in football and one or more sports (including basketball) shall be counted in football. A counter who was not recruited (per Bylaw 15.02.9) and/or offered financial aid to participate in football and who competes in football and one or more sports (including basketball) shall be counted in football.

15.5.9.1 Football. [FBS/FCS] In football, a counter who was recruited (per Bylaw 15.02.9) and/or offered financial aid to participate in football and who participates (practices or competes) in football and one or more sports (including basketball) shall be counted in football. A counter who was not recruited (per Bylaw 15.02.9) and/or offered financial aid to participate in football and who competes in football and one or more sports (including basketball) shall be counted in football.

Thanks @RoarLions1. OK, so basically it all goes against Football. So that means he doesn't count against Wrestling's 9.9? So now Michigan has 10.9 scholarships?

Thanks @RoarLions1. OK, so basically it all goes against Football. So that means he doesn't count against Wrestling's 9.9? So now Michigan has 10.9 scholarships?
They still have 9.9 scholarships. I know the 10.9 is because Garcia is on a football scholarship. Keep in mind since football is paying the freight they take priority. Garcia most likely will not be focusing on wrestling until January. Will also be difficult for him to wrestle anything other than 285 since he will need to keep his weight up.

...I believe that a "walk on" can compete in more than one sport ( ex: football and wrestling) w/o counting against either but once scholarship $$$s are awarded they must count against football...

They still have 9.9 scholarships. I know the 10.9 is because Garcia is on a football scholarship. Keep in mind since football is paying the freight they take priority. Garcia most likely will not be focusing on wrestling until January. Will also be difficult for him to wrestle anything other than 285 since he will need to keep his weight up.

So, how is this a win for Michigan? Football he might be Spec Teams. In Wrestling, he'd essentially be depth for Mason Parris who's a rising Sophomore. Do they need depth? The already have Nemec, Ready, Striggow, Dallwitz etc. Don't get me wrong, its super great for Garcia and I'm truly happy for him. I'm just not seeing the angle.

As Lyons says, not a good idea saying it that way, even though I too know what you mean. Otherwise we'd fumble around with everything from academic scholarships, ROTC money, and the like.

I wouldn’t automatically write him off as a special teamer. I don’t think UM offered him a scholarship to be a special teamer. Although a lot do play special teams. Will be interesting to see how he does first game of the season on ESPN against Hammond SC with some D1 recruits of their own.

In wrestling just imagine if he did any off season wrestling at all how good he’d be, even though seems like he won’t at Michigan either.

Reactions: kevin310
Don't think of it that way. Football teams are not saving up scholarships to help out non-revenue sports.

The reverse is the reason the rules changed to count non-revenue rides against football. Before that rule, funny how many SEC tennis players weighed 250 lbs and ran 4.4 40s.

I wouldn’t automatically write him off as a special teamer. I don’t think UM offered him a scholarship to be a special teamer. Although a lot do play special teams. Will be interesting to see how he does first game of the season on ESPN against Hammond SC with some D1 recruits of their own.

In wrestling just imagine if he did any off season wrestling at all how good he’d be, even though seems like he won’t at Michigan either.

Did Harbaugh offer him a scholarship? His tweets only said "offer" which could be preferred walk-on.

He also tweeted an offer from Bormet -- which we know can't be financial because it would count against Harbaugh.

So, how is this a win for Michigan? Football he might be Spec Teams. In Wrestling, he'd essentially be depth for Mason Parris who's a rising Sophomore. Do they need depth? The already have Nemec, Ready, Striggow, Dallwitz etc. Don't get me wrong, its super great for Garcia and I'm truly happy for him. I'm just not seeing the angle.
After shirting, he'll have only 1 year of overlap with Parris.

And even if he doesn't win a spot for Bormet, HWT depth can be precious -- such as when Nick Nevills popped his pec a few years ago.

Reactions: ptomaselli
He got offered a football scholarship from what I understand. He has 4 FBS scholarship offers. Michigan bring the first power 5.

He’s pretty much good enough to walk on anywhere he wants. The scholarship offer from a big time school was the question.

He got offered a football scholarship from what I understand. He has 4 FBS scholarship offers. Michigan bring the first power 5.

He’s pretty much good enough to walk on anywhere he wants. The scholarship offer from a big time school was the question.

Albany, Army, Michigan, & Youngstown State? One of those is not like the other.

That said, Jan Johnson, Brandon Smith and guys like that. If he's like them, I'd take him/them every time!

Reactions: Donn (PSU 80)
Did Harbaugh offer him a scholarship? His tweets only said "offer" which could be preferred walk-on.

He also tweeted an offer from Bormet -- which we know can't be financial because it would count against Harbaugh.

Smart guy you are jefe. Offer doesnt always mean Offer..........the chance to try and play both sports....is an offer in and of itself.

PS- I really hope Gaige and Fleming have a role in the rivalry over there. Will be cool for small school Southern to get some national exposure for what may be one of the most heralded HS senior classes ever.

PSS- Preston Z was at Whisky last week too for football recruiting trip.....I bet Bono would let him try playing two sports too.

Smart guy you are jefe. Offer doesnt always mean Offer..........the chance to try and play both sports....is an offer in and of itself.

PS- I really hope Gaige and Fleming have a role in the rivalry over there. Will be cool for small school Southern to get some national exposure for what may be one of the most heralded HS senior classes ever.

PSS- Preston Z was at Whisky last week too for football recruiting trip.....I bet Bono would let him try playing two sports too.

With all due respect, I don’t see Zachman as a Big Ten caliber wrestler, 3rd in AA 220 he finished I believe. Just hope Gavin doesn’t follow his brother to Ann Arbor to wrestle

Last edited:
Albany, Army, Michigan, & Youngstown State? One of those is not like the other.

That said, Jan Johnson, Brandon Smith and guys like that. If he's like them, I'd take him/them every time!
Toledo, Eastern Michigan, Akron, Penn State is pretty much the equivalent of Albany, Army, Youngstown St. and Michigan.
Any possibility that without fanfare Michigan named Jay Paterno their recruiting coordinator?

As of now, he is not getting any scholarship money from Michigan. None of the Michigan sites are including him as part of the "commitment list" of scholarship football players for the class of 2020. If he was on scholarship, you can bet the Michigan nerds would be all over it and he would be on the list. He's a walkon for both sports.

*Edit: I saw some activity on one of the Michigan boards speculating that he may be getting some wrestling money. According to these nerds, this would be OK and NOT count against football as long as he didn't actually play in the games. So, if they are correct, we have two possibilities:

1. He's getting no scholarship money at all
2. He's getting wrestling money, but will be a practice tackling dummy on the football team. If he ever plays in an actual game, he will immediately count as a full schoarship against the football team.

Last edited:
With all due respect, I don’t see Zachman as a Big Ten caliber wrestler, 3rd in AA 220 he finished I believe. Just hope Gavin doesn’t follow his brother to Ann Arbor to wrestle
That would put Zachman ahead of Cassar at the same point in their careers

Reactions: dunkej01
As of now, he is not getting any scholarship money from Michigan. None of the Michigan sites are including him as part of the "commitment list" of scholarship football players for the class of 2020. If he was on scholarship, you can bet the Michigan nerds would be all over it and he would be on the list. He's a walkon for both sports.

*Edit: I saw some activity on one of the Michigan boards speculating that he may be getting some wrestling money. According to these nerds, this would be OK and NOT count against football as long as he didn't actually play in the games. So, if they are correct, we have two possibilities:

1. He's getting no scholarship money at all
2. He's getting wrestling money, but will be a practice tackling dummy on the football team. If he ever plays in an actual game, he will immediately count as a full schoarship against the football team.
What the Michigan boards are saying seems kinda far flung, but let's humor them for a minute:

That's conceivable only in a year Garcia will shirt.

Otherwise, Harbaugh would have to withhold one scholarship in any given year, in the off chance Garcia plays. Or commit to not play Garcia for the full year.

And Bormet's finances would be indeterminate every year until Harbaugh does or does not play Garcia.

Just doesn't seem likely.

What the Michigan boards are saying seems kinda far flung, but let's humor them for a minute:

Otherwise, Harbaugh would have to withhold one scholarship in any given year, in the off chance Garcia plays. Or commit to not play Garcia for the full year.

And Bormet's finances would be indeterminate every year until Harbaugh does or does not play Garcia.

I'm with you. Doesn't make sense that he would be getting any money.

I'm with you. Doesn't make sense that he would be getting any money.
I do not believe appearance in a game is a factor. It is the presence of a grant of money and being a part of a football team. If he is on the team and gets money from wrestling it counts against football, even if you pretend he’s a walk on. If you could do that you could have teams loading up sports like wrestling and lacrosse with football players who get money from those sports in hopes that they become a gem of a football player in a couple of years. There’s a reason the rule is in place.

Moons ago, Every county in Nebraska had one scholarship they could award to an outstanding student attending Nebraska. Not surprising that those scholarships went to walk-ons for the football team..... and starters too.

Garcia isn’t getting money.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bob_Anderson
Moons ago, Every county in Nebraska had one scholarship they could award to an outstanding student attending Nebraska. Not surprising that those scholarships went to walk-ons for the football team..... and starters too.
I pity the farmer family in central/western Nebraska who had to adopt Lawrence Phillips so he could get his off the books scholarship.

Reactions: Lyons212
I do not believe appearance in a game is a factor. It is the presence of a grant of money and being a part of a football team. If he is on the team and gets money from wrestling it counts against football, even if you pretend he’s a walk on. If you could do that you could have teams loading up sports like wrestling and lacrosse with football players who get money from those sports in hopes that they become a gem of a football player in a couple of years. There’s a reason the rule is in place.

Garcia isn’t getting money.

That's a heavy load. Michigan's > $60K out of state annually all in. The family must be well off.

I’m sorry but I don’t think he’s claiming walk in offers as “offers”.

I’d be surprised if he wasn’t offered a football scholarship. Michigan just happens to be the first Big 5 team. Army, Air Force, and Navy have also offered.

I Could be wrong but when they talk about finally getting a big school to extend an offer I doubt they’re talking about walking on.

I’m sorry but I don’t think he’s claiming walk in offers as “offers”.

I’d be surprised if he wasn’t offered a football scholarship. Michigan just happens to be the first Big 5 team. Army, Air Force, and Navy have also offered.

I Could be wrong but when they talk about finally getting a big school to extend an offer I doubt they’re talking about walking on.

Its nothing to be ashamed of. PWOs are darn good players, darn good. I've seen quite a few tweets from kids whose tweet simply mentions the offer...and not the PWO.

I would be very surprised if he's not getting a football scholarship.

The tires were kicked on this at PSU also (I would guess from the Garcia side). A month or so back I heard that Franklin had been talking to Casey about him. After that, nothing - so I would assume that Gaige was behind a couple of kids on the football side.

But it was at least being considered.

I’m not sure what to tell you. If you look at his rivals page it shows a Michigan offer. Not sure why he’s not on their commitment list yet.

Southerns QB last year is a preferred walk on to Alabama, his rivals page from last year does not show an offer from Bama since he’s walking on.

Garcia is not committing to a PWO spot in June anywhere when there is plenty of time to get scholarship offers.

From what I’ve heard it seems like he’s a walk on to the football team on a wrestling scholarship. If he doesn’t play in a game he doesn’t count as a football scholarship. Seems weird and strange to me, I’ve never heard of a case like this before. Basically seems like he has a year to redshirt in football and prove that he is worth the football scholarship. Either way a dual sport football and wrestling athlete doesn’t seem feasible. Wrestle offs are in late October most years and they are full on practicing by early October or even September right? Just way to much overlap even if he was good enough to do both at a high level.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT