ADVERTISEMENT

WOW --- the NBC execs sure made Al Michaels apologize FAST

michnittlion

Sep 3, 2003
I didn't think that Harvey Weinstein joke was bad at all. Obviously the NBC suits thought differently.

Bet we see Mike Tirico calling next week's Sunday Night game.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
I didn't think that Harvey Weinstein joke was bad at all. Obviously the NBC suits thought differently.

Bet we see Mike Tirico calling next week's Sunday Night game.
Oh, for chrissakes. I had a better week than Harvey Weinstein. Don't expect an apology.

Joke was distasteful at best...Al may need to give more than a 5 second apology.

It's a tricky situation: On one hand, it's far too sensitive for any jokes, but on the other hand, there are people in Hollywood, who are in the comedy business, that need to call it to attention. I'm willing to bet that Al just wasn't aware that he needed to stay clear of the situation.

Oh, for chrissakes. I had a better week than Harvey Weinstein. Don't expect an apology.

I didn't take offense to the joke. It was perfectly fine IMO.

Let's be frank though --- and I'm one who is a bit politically left of center saying this --- the NBC suits didn't like the joke because it was at the expense of someone who has helped the left over the years.

The rapidity of the Michaels' on-air apology says something about his bosses.

I didn't take offense to the joke. It was perfectly fine IMO.

Let's be frank though --- and I'm one who is a bit politically left of center saying this --- the NBC suits didn't like the joke because it was at the expense of someone who has helped the left over the years.

The rapidity of the Michaels' on-air apology says something about his bosses.
Hold on a second, are you being "Frank", or are you being "Barney Frank"? LOL.

Didn't bother me any more than Linday 'no talent but somehow making lotsa $$ as an actress" Lohan telling us HW's a good man and we need to just STOPPPPPP. Jeez.. however did she finegel her way past countless girls/women far more beautiful and talented than herself?

In fact, this one didn't bother me in the least. The more that pig is skewered and roasted alive... the better. Then again, I don't do P-fing-C... i leave that for the sweetie pies that try to rule everything today.

Well, except old dudes like me who couldn't give a rats a$$. That said, I'm laughing long and loud at his gorgeous wife's obvious freak upon realizing that people are getting that maybe her marriage had zilch to do with love and everything to do with moola. uh oh... do i smell a jeans brand in trouble? lmao.

Al’s Weinstein joke was no more appropriate than SNL’s Sandusky jokes. IMO, “growing up” as some here have put it is to recognize that some societal issues simply should not be made light of in front of a live national audience. If we’re going to continue to mature as a society then some things need to stop.

That said, Al should be forgiven. Everyone misspeaks from time to time. He meant no harm.

Last edited:
Do you also think jokes about Woody Allen, Bill Clinton (in re Monica), and Bill Cosby are inappropriate? How about jokes about Nazis's or the KKK?
Yea, jokes about sexual assault: not ok. Jokes about murder: ok.

Everyone should know we live in times where everyone is offended by everything and everybody. My, my, what we've become as a society. WEAK minded you know whats...
Right. We live in a time when a whole segment of the populace is wailing and gnashing its teeth over flag manners they routinely violate themselves. Yeah, that PC sure is weakening us.

Al’s Weinstein joke was no more appropriate than SNL’s Sandusky jokes. IMO, “growing up” as some here have put it is to recognize that some societal issues simply should not be made light of in front of a live national audience. If we’re going to continue to mature as a society then some things need to stop.

That said, Al should be forgiven. Everyone misspeaks from time to time. He meant no harm.
Sorry that you find yourself perpetually aggrieved. At least it sounds that way. Lousy way to live.

NBC spiked the HW story for years, according to Ronan Farrow. Ronan, you may recall, had a gig on MSNBC and is a complete hater or Woody Allen, who was having an affair with his Mom's adopted daughter when she was a teen ager. Not surprising Ronan is a bit more sensitive about this than others.

Regardless, entertainment is going through a bit of a self cleansing. They support players kneeling during the anthem, but not an announcer referencing HW. They support talk show hosts making political statements, but only when it supports their ideology. They support comedians being edgy, but not when it comes to their friends. Now, they are all accusing eachother of rape, rape enablement, sexism, racism...even someone like Gwyneth Paltrow who grew up as entitled as anyone in the USA.

Not sure where it is going or will end up, but the the flyover states are getting quite an eyefull.

Sorry that you find yourself perpetually aggrieved. At least it sounds that way. Lousy way to live.

Nah - just not so set in my ways that I can't try to see things from another person's perspective and grow with the times. I used to think that something like Al's comment should just be laughed off as harmless satire. But I've come to feel differently now. Sometimes change can be for the worse but IMO this incident is not one of those times.

What is so hard to understand the platform and environment in which humor is used? It's a situational thing. It's pretty elementary. When a comedian says it while you're expecting to be entertained its one thing, but when someone turns on a sporting event and a joke about a guy who is being accused of sexual assault, there's a big difference. It's not the right platform, audience, and there was nothing to set it up.

What is so hard to understand the platform and environment in which humor is used? It's a situational thing. It's pretty elementary. When a comedian says it while you're expecting to be entertained its one thing, but when someone turns on a sporting event and a joke about a guy who is being accused of sexual assault, there's a big difference. It's not the right platform, audience, and there was nothing to set it up.

OK, fair enough...but kneeling for the national anthem is "the right platform?"

Reactions: lionroar88
Didn't bother me any more than Linday 'no talent but somehow making lotsa $$ as an actress" Lohan telling us HW's a good man and we need to just STOPPPPPP. Jeez.. however did she finegel her way past countless girls/women far more beautiful and talented than herself?

In fact, this one didn't bother me in the least. The more that pig is skewered and roasted alive... the better. Then again, I don't do P-fing-C... i leave that for the sweetie pies that try to rule everything today.

Well, except old dudes like me who couldn't give a rats a$$. That said, I'm laughing long and loud at his gorgeous wife's obvious freak upon realizing that people are getting that maybe her marriage had zilch to do with love and everything to do with moola. uh oh... do i smell a jeans brand in trouble? lmao.

Worth noting at one time she was the most promising young actress in Hollywood and looked like this:

6a014e60054402970c0147e375c0ad970b-800wi

Worth noting at one time she was the most promising young actress in Hollywood and looked like this:

6a014e60054402970c0147e375c0ad970b-800wi
I watched the original blade runner this weekend on date night with the wife. Noted that Sean Young and Daryl Hannah went off the deep end in later years. Then we started to note gals like Demi Moore and Karen Allen did too. What's up with famous gals flipping out? Is it possibly related?

I watched the original blade runner this weekend on date night with the wife. Noted that Sean Young and Daryl Hannah went off the deep end in later years. Then we started to note gals like Demi Moore and Karen Allen did too. What's up with famous gals flipping out? Is it possibly related?

Ummm......no idea, but my guess is part of it has to do with the very short shelf life for actresses in Hollywood. With few exceptions (Streep, Dench, Blanchett, Winslet, - basically the Oscar winners), roles are harder and harder to get (given there are few prominent roles for older women) and it's extremely competitive. Lohan's problem was drugs IMO.

Reactions: Obliviax
I like Al Michaels and I thought he was smarter than this. Jesus. It's a pretty simple philosophy. Don't joke about sexual assault.

If anyone is wondering why you're not hearing Harvey Weinstein jokes on SNL, Colbert, Conan, Fallon, etc it might be because sexual assault isn't funny and they are likely not going to make light of something when people they depend on to support their shows may have been victims or maybe they just know better.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT