ADVERTISEMENT

Would you be ok with selling corporate naming rights for Beaver Stadium?

psu00

Jan 4, 2010
All this talk about renovate vs rebuild the Beav and I saw a Penn State source in the articles say they need 'creative financing'. IIRC this firm is looking into improvement and funding for not only the Beav but all 18 or so athletic venues on campus.

So would PSU fans be ok with removing the name Beaver Stadium and letting the university sell naming rights to a company like Rutgers 'High Point Solutions Stadium'? Would you be ok with 'Bank New York- Mellon Stadium', 'US Steel Stadium', or 'Merk Stadium', (knowing the name of the stadium may change repeatedly over the years as new companies take over the naming rights)?

All this talk about renovate vs rebuild the Beav and I saw a Penn State source in the articles say they need 'creative financing'. IIRC this firm is looking into improvement and funding for not only the Beav but all 18 or so athletic venues on campus.

So would PSU fans be ok with removing the name Beaver Stadium and letting the university sell naming rights to a company like Rutgers 'High Point Solutions Stadium'? Would you be ok with 'Bank New York- Mellon Stadium', 'US Steel Stadium', or 'Merk Stadium', (knowing the name of the stadium may change repeatedly over the years as new companies take over the naming rights)?
No. Next?

Eff no.

Actually I take that back. As soon as University of Michigan plays their games at BigBiz.com Stadium, then it would be OK to sell the naming rights to the Beav.

No. But it won't surprise me when it happens by one of the old guard BOT members who will be "saving" us from the problem they created. (i.e. BNY Mellon Field at Beaver Stadium)

Maybe if the Paterno's use their eventual settlements to buy the naming rights.

Last edited:

No....

Sterman Masser Farms Field at Freeh, Sporkin, & Sullivan Stadium

:eek:

Reactions: FHSPSU67
I would be sickened and ashamed to see PSU sell the naming rights. Of course, if (my usual) 1/3 were donated to the Demlion Fund (Slogan: "Money. For Demlion.") I believe I could be persuaded to change my view.

NO, but will any vote make a difference? On my visit for the game on Saturday I visited the Alumni center to find out they no longer have game day pins for the game. They cut the doughnuts last year. Then we went to check out the new renovations at the HUB. Looks great but what really hit me was the "Corporate" presence. The new 3 story book store included a Clinique kiosk, the size of which would rival any major mall. Dear Ole State has a new face. Is the Chanel of Paris Stadium possible? If the price is right?

Reactions: eloracv

No, but the BOT has sold us out on just about everthing else so what's the difference?

Reactions: demlion

Don't like it however if we are to keep up with maintaining an athletic department that operates in the Black... This among other options is a must !

College Sports is big business and the financial model has changed dramatically just over the last 5 years.

Game attendance and increased ticket prices are not the answer... Eventually you are going to have to lol into larger sponsorships and naming rights issues.

Again... Don't like it but it has to happen for us to maintain operating in the Black.

As a footnote... For many fellow traditionalists... Watch what is happening with the NBA and possibly NHL... You will soon see individual Corporate Sponsors ( like we see Globally in Soccer) on Team Uniforms.

It's all about the money...

Reactions: Mixolydian
They should rebuild Beaver stadium and add a glass dome to hold in sound and keep out rain. Beaver Dome will be the loudest and most intimidating place in all of CFB to play!

Absolutely not.

Let's remember Sandys right hand boy is the guy who lead the building of the new stadium at Minnesota and sold the naming rights to a bank. So I think you can fully expect it to at least be on the table, new stadium or not.

Peetz Field at Sheetz Coliseum

Difficult to say. Minnehaha got $35mm over 25 years fopr the naming rights to TCF. Not pocket change, but not enough to sell your soul for. Someone would have to bid considerably higher for PSU to consider it.

Don't like it however if we are to keep up with maintaining an athletic department that operates in the Black... This among other options is a must !

College Sports is big business and the financial model has changed dramatically just over the last 5 years.

Game attendance and increased ticket prices are not the answer... Eventually you are going to have to lol into larger sponsorships and naming rights issues.

Again... Don't like it but it has to happen for us to maintain operating in the Black.

As a footnote... For many fellow traditionalists... Watch what is happening with the NBA and possibly NHL... You will soon see individual Corporate Sponsors ( like we see Globally in Soccer) on Team Uniforms.

I don't like it either but I have to agree with your post.

Creatively sell alcohol at the stadium. I probably wouldn't buy it, but TONS of other people would. At $8 for a 12 ounce, they could pay for whatever they would possibly want to buy. IIRC Minnesota started selling a couple years ago and I haven't heard of any major problems.

Ashley Madison was trying to buy the naming rights to the new Giant Stadium. I think they offered $25M over 5 years at the time.

Getting between $8-$12 M per year is probably very realistic. Hard to pass up, but as others have said it won't change what PSU charges you.

"Don't like it however if we are to keep up with maintaining an athletic department that operates in the Black... This among other options is a must !"

Uh.....no. Unless you're the Dallas Cowboys, even the NFL "naming rights" deals are for (relative) peanuts.....and PSU ain't getting one of those anyway.

"Heinz Field" deal is $2.9 Mill /yr through 2021.
"PNC Park" is $1.5 Mill/yr through 2020

Now, annual rates may have gone up since those deals were signed......but those are Pro stadiums that have MEGA national exposure.
Those revenue streams are roughly equivalent to raising the ticket prices (or the "handling fees" LOL) by about $2-3 a pop.....OR...increasing attendance (PAID attendance...you know people who actually want the tickets and show up to the game....by about 1,200 per game. I think we all know a couple of ways the geniuses in the PSU ICA could accomplish that feat TOMORROW!)

The LARGEST annual naming rights fee I see in college football is the deal that Minnesota signed with TCF ($1.4 Mill/yr) [http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...ege-football-stadiums-company-names-sponsors]

"Again... Don't like it but it has to happen for us to maintain operating in the Black."

Uh.....no. Hate to tell you this....but that chicken flew the coop a while back, and it ain't gonna' be coming back as long as the Tsunami is around.

Now, trimming out half of the clod-headed dopes (who's responsibilities appear to be limited to sending out PRAVDA tweets) taking up root in ICA would save more than the revenue brought in from some half-assed "naming rights". Hell, now that Tsunami has hired someone to be responsible for each and every aspect of running an Athletic Department, she could certainly be axed without losing anything - and that's $1 Million per year right off the top.

This ICA department isn't in the red because it doesn't have a "naming rights" deal......and it ain't gonna' get out of the red by signing one.

"It's all about the money..."

Time for Tsunami Sandy to set up another bake sale?

th

Last edited:
Reactions: eloracv

Why do people keep acting like financial models keep changing dramatically? They don't and haven't. Pull out a budget from 20 years ago and you'll see 99% of the same line items. Costs may go up, so have revenues. Even with Sandy's spending sprees there is no reason the department shouldn't be operating in the black. The only reason its not is malfeasance.

Ashley Madison was trying to buy the naming rights to the new Giant Stadium. I think they offered $25M over 5 years at the time.

Getting between $8-$12 M per year is probably very realistic. Hard to pass up, but as others have said it won't change what PSU charges you.

$8mm to $12mm p.a. would be unprecedented and would be very tempting.

$8mm to $12mm p.a. would be unprecedented and would be very tempting.
For college it would be high, but these things are rising annually. It is funny seeing how the deals have changed in the NFL depending on when the contracts were signed. CitiField and MetLife Stadium are about $20M annually. I think Jerry World is a little below $20M. It will be interesting to see what happens at M&T Stadium in Baltimore. The last year of their agreement is 2017.

NO, but will any vote make a difference? On my visit for the game on Saturday I visited the Alumni center to find out they no longer have game day pins for the game. They cut the doughnuts last year. Then we went to check out the new renovations at the HUB. Looks great but what really hit me was the "Corporate" presence. The new 3 story book store included a Clinique kiosk, the size of which would rival any major mall. Dear Ole State has a new face. Is the Chanel of Paris Stadium possible? If the price is right?

Note that the buttons are no longer free from the bank this season--that's not the Alumni Center's fault. You have to make a non-perishable food donation at the bank to get one. There was something in the September T&G about it. My guess is this tradition will end shortly when the bank ends up with buckets of leftovers.

If they want to increase attendance to the maximum, which in turn would increase revenue, they should name the stadium after our very own Board of Trustees. That would guarantee a sellout...

No!

For college it would be high, but these things are rising annually. It is funny seeing how the deals have changed in the NFL depending on when the contracts were signed. CitiField and MetLife Stadium are about $20M annually. I think Jerry World is a little below $20M. It will be interesting to see what happens at M&T Stadium in Baltimore. The last year of their agreement is 2017.

All of the blockbuster naming rights deals are for pro sports franchise venues. To the best of my knowledge, there is no college deal worth in excess of $2mm p.a.

The Ravens and M & T extended their deal a year ago and it now extends through 2027 ($60mm for ten years).

IIRC Minnesota started selling a couple years ago and I haven't heard of any major problems.

You go down steps and buy it in an area that is technically outside the stadium, but fenced in. Then you walk back in the stadium with it. Those gophers are a tricky bunch!

Reactions: EPC FAN
Note that the buttons are no longer free from the bank this season--that's not the Alumni Center's fault. You have to make a non-perishable food donation at the bank to get one. There was something in the September T&G about it. My guess is this tradition will end shortly when the bank ends up with buckets of leftovers.

This is not true. The food bank donation is optional. I was making a deposit the other day and people were coming in and taking the entire bag (I think 12 are in each bag) and not making donations. The tellers didn't care.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT