ADVERTISEMENT

Worst Movie Sequel Ever - Highlander 2

91Joe95

Aug 15, 2003
While the original was pretty fun, the sequel may be the worst movie sequel of all time. This movie, set in 2024, came out in the early 90s before global warming/climate change was even a twinkle in Al Gore's eye. As such, it's climate disaster crisis of the time was ozone depletion, and boy does this movie capture the zeitgeist of the topic. Continued ozone depletion has made the sun a death machine, killing McCloud's wife, and prompting him to work with scientists to construct a protective shield around the earth. Juxtaposed around this is McCloud's alien adversaries bent on revenge against him. I'm not sure why since he is now mortal and dying, but hey, Michael Ironside needs the work. Don't ask me how Sean Connery comes back to life, but I'm sure the paycheck was prominent. Full movie:

And some kind of directors cut:

We left after 30 minutes. I’ve never left a movie before it ended except for that one. We ended up in the parking lot trying to figure out what they were thinking

Roger Ebert of the Chicago Sun-Times gave the film a score of 0.5 stars (out of four), saying: "Highlander II: The Quickening is the most hilariously incomprehensible movie I've seen in many a long day—a movie almost awesome in its badness. Wherever science fiction fans gather, in decades and generations to come, this film will be remembered in hushed tones as one of the immortal low points of the genre … If there is a planet somewhere whose civilization is based on the worst movies of all time, Highlander 2: The Quickeningdeserves a sacred place among their most treasured artifacts."”

Last edited:
Some movies are so bad they become good. This isn't one of them. Think Star Wars Holiday Special bad and you won't be far off, only much longer.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
Godfather III. Decent movie in a vacuum, but it doesn't stand up well next to the previous masterpieces.

Mike Tyson loved Jack Dempsey and mimicked some of the things Dempsey did (such as helping an opponent up after blasting him out). I've often wondered if Tyson got the ear biting from the Andy Garcia, Joe Mantegna scene. That would be awesome, but I suspect it was an impulsive act of rage.

Reactions: 91Joe95
I’ve never seen any of Highlander 2, and never will. I enjoyed the first one, and a few friends told me how the second one completely craps on its predecessor. I won’t have that.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
Maybe not as horrifically bad as those mentioned (most of which I haven’t seen), but Wonder Woman 84 was awful throughout, starting with the pathetic CGI in the opening scene.

iu

I dont know about all that but 1912 PSU on a pd for calories basic plus marlboro boy dwflation would kick 99.999994436% of college teams ever and more than yuge numbers of NFL too. They threw Brutus into a woods pile then blamed Cossby Nash and Stills- anti social goons

I think this thread can be summed up best with most.

Magnificent Seven/Return of the Seven
Revenge of the Nerds/Nerds II
The Sting/The Sting II
Teen Wolf / Teen Wolf Too
Tremors / Tremors II Aftershock

just to mention a few beyond what has already been throw out.

Better thread is successful sequels.

Magnificent Seven/Return of the Seven
The Sting/The Sting II
Teen Wolf / Teen Wolf Too
Tremors / Tremors II Aftershock

just to mention a few beyond what has already been throw out.

Better thread is successful sequels.

Tremors 2 was good.

Reactions: LionJim
Also, Penn State’s very own Marc Singer (Something for Joey, not a graduate), could possibly have one of the worst sequels ever:
Beastmaster 2: Through the Portal of Time

4788909352584879409.jpg

Smokey and the Bandit II (when compared to the original) was pretty bad. Most of Gleason's scenes were shot in Miami and Burt's in Jupiter. The same drawbridge is still there. Being replaced in 2023 for $150M. Times have changed.

maxresdefault.jpg

Reactions: 91Joe95

Revenge of the Nerds 2 can never live up to the genius perfection of the first film. But the ancient Chinese gross-out mastermind that Booger apprentices with is worth the price of admission.

"This room is a pigsty"

"Thank you"

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT