ADVERTISEMENT

World Championship Seeds

Flying_Tiger

May 27, 2011
They are now seeding 1-4. Unfortunately it is not based on rankings or an actual thought process. Instead they are based on participation in several ranking series tournaments and as a result, several highly ranked wrestler are not seeded opening the door to some silly early round matches.

57 kg
1 Zavur Uguev (Russia)
2 Thomas Gilman (USA)
3 Armen Arakelian (Ukraine)
4 Uladizslau Andreyeu (Belarus)

61 kg
1 Abbos Rakhmonov (Mongolia)
2 Gadzhimurad Rashidov (Russia)
3 Beka Lomtadze (Georgia)
4 Joe Colon (USA)

65 kg
1 Selahattin Kilicsallyan (Turkey)
2 Ilias Bekbulatov (Russia)
3 Bajrang (India)
4 Haji Aliyev (Azerbaijan)

70 kg
1 Andriy Kvyatkovskyy (Ukraine)
2 Magomed Kurbanaliev (Russia)
3 Zurabi Iakobishvili (Georgia)
4 Murtazali Muslimov (Azerbaijan)

74 kg
1 Frank Chamizo Marques (Italy)
2 Bekzod Abdurakhmanov (Uzbekistan)
3 Daniyar Kaisanov (Kazakhstan)
4 Akhsarbek Gulaev (Slovakia)

79 kg
1 Akhmed Gadzhimagomedov (Russia)
2 Jabrayil Hasanov (Azerbaijan)
3 Rashid Kurbanov (Uzbekistan)
4 Kyle Dake (USA)

86 kg
1 Fatih Erdin (Turkey)
2 David Taylor (USA)
3 Artur Naifonov (Russia)
4 Sandro Aminashvili (Georgia)

92 kg
1 Mohammadjavad Mohammadebrahim Ebrahimzivlaei (Iran)
2 Abdulrashid Sadulaev (Russia)
3 Serdar Boke (Turkey)
4 Sharif Sharifov (Azerbaijan)

97 kg
1 Murazi Mchedlidze (Ukraine)
2 Aliaksandr Hushtyn (Belarus)
3 Vladislav Baitcaev (Russia)
4 Elizbar Odikadze (Georgia)

125 kg
1 Nick Gwiazdowski (USA)
2 Danylo Kartavyi (Ukraine)
3 Oleksandr Khotsianivskyi (Ukraine)
4 Geno Petriashvili (Georgia)

Some potential first round matches from a bad draw:

Chamizo v Burroughs
Snyder v Sadulaev
DT v Yazdani and/or Kurugliev

:rolleyes:

Last edited:
They are now seeding 1-4. Unfortunately it is not based on rankings or an actual thought process. Instead they are based on participation in several ranking series tournaments and as a result, several highly ranked wrestler are not seeded opening the door to some silly early round matches.

57 kg
1 Zavur Uguev (Russia)
2 Thomas Gilman (USA)
3 Armen Arakelian (Ukraine)
4 Uladizslau Andreyeu (Belarus)

61 kg
1 Abbos Rakhmonov (Mongolia)
2 Gadzhimurad Rashidov (Russia)
3 Beka Lomtadze (Georgia)
4 Joe Colon (USA)

65 kg
1 Selahattin Kilicsallyan (Turkey)
2 Ilias Bekbulatov (Russia)
3 Bajrang (India)
4 Haji Aliyev (Azerbaijan)

70 kg
1 Andriy Kvyatkovskyy (Ukraine)
2 Magomed Kurbanaliev (Russia)
3 Zurabi Iakobishvili (Georgia)
4 Murtazali Muslimov (Azerbaijan)

74 kg
1 Frank Chamizo Marques (Italy)
2 Bekzod Abdurakhmanov (Uzbekistan)
3 Daniyar Kaisanov (Kazakhstan)
4 Akhsarbek Gulaev (Slovakia)

79 kg
1 Akhmed Gadzhimagomedov (Russia)
2 Jabrayil Hasanov (Azerbaijan)
3 Rashid Kurbanov (Uzbekistan)
4 Kyle Dake (USA)

86 kg
1 Fatih Erdin (Turkey)
2 David Taylor (USA)
3 Artur Naifonov (Russia)
4 Sandro Aminashvili (Georgia)

92 kg
1 Mohammadjavad Mohammadebrahim Ebrahimzivlaei (Iran)
2 Abdulrashid Sadulaev (Russia)
3 Serdar Boke (Turkey)
4 Sharif Sharifov (Azerbaijan)

97 kg
1 Murazi Mchedlidze (Ukraine)
2 Aliaksandr Hushtyn (Belarus)
3 Vladislav Baitcaev (Russia)
4 Elizbar Odikadze (Georgia)

125 kg
1 Nick Gwiazdowski (USA)
2 Danylo Kartavyi (Ukraine)
3 Oleksandr Khotsianivskyi (Ukraine)
4 Geno Petriashvili (Georgia)

Some potential first round matches from a bad draw:

Chamizo v Burroughs
Snyder v Sadulaev
DT v Yazdani and/or Kurugliev

:rolleyes:
To be the best, you have to..

...You know the drill.

Same thing with the Iowa high school state tournament. The best wrestlers at a weight have ended up on the same side of the bracket way to often. I do believe they are moving to a "seeding" system now, thankfully.

Looking forward to world's this year. Brutal draws and early round upsets are always going to be there. Elite wrestling at its finest! USA!

To be the best, you have to..

...You know the drill.

Same thing with the Iowa high school state tournament. The best wrestlers at a weight have ended up on the same side of the bracket way to often. I do believe they are moving to a "seeding" system now, thankfully.

Looking forward to world's this year. Brutal draws and early round upsets are always going to be there. Elite wrestling at its finest! USA!

Does the Iowa State Tournament use a repechage? I think you are missing the point that the reason for a change to seeding was to minimize early round matches against medal contenders. This system fails to do that and without a true wrestle-back means you still have a world championship where a serious medal contender could go 0-1. You may think it's great and enjoy beating your chest to "To be the best, you have..." but I don't buy into that. You beat the best in the finals or at least the semis, not round 1. Hopefully the random draws work out but I'm not holding my breath.

Don't understand the #2 seed at 125. Kartavyi lost to a Russian at the European Championships, and was eliminated when the Russian lost his next match. I get the ranking tournaments thing...just another example of a poor system to seed. WT is right, everyone should know and play the system, though (without looking it up) most of the ranking tournaments, I'm guessing, are overseas...

Ive long believed that entities like UWW actually want chaos, because from the "inside" you can actually control it in your direction.

The russians and the eastern bloc love to play the inside game in just about everything they involve themselves in.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
I'd love to see how Erdin earned more "points" than Taylor--winner of Yarigin, Pan Ams, and Yasar Dogu.... But yeah, the trouble is the best wrestlers often don't seem to want to compete much--so they don't earn points. Doubt it will be fixed any time soon though--so we gotta work with what we got.

It was a deeply flawed system when it was unveiled and looking probably worse than predictions at the time. What's worse is that they've insisted on calling these "rankings" when they're just accumulated seeding points.

It'd be far better to have a large panel of coaches submit their own rankings, just 1 through 4 (or even 1 through 2), and then sort what you get into 4 slots. The larger the pool, the fewer opportunities to corruptly game it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT