ADVERTISEMENT

With all due respect to potato chips, the pretzel is the king of PA snack foods

Snyder’s of Hanover Sourdough Hard pretzels - hands down best pretzel.

Chips - fan of both Middlesworth and Utz - prefer BBQ. Gibbles if there is French onion dip involved.

917_C3_BA8-27_C2-4_A02-92_D0-50_D75_EBA1656.jpg

Who are you? eric barren?

:eek:

I love Tom Sturgis Unsalted Minis dipped in peanut butter. As for potato chips of the PA brands I prefer Utz over Gibbles and Herrs but this is the unquestioned ruler of all chips...

Wege Broken Pretzels are my favorite. I have recipe, melt two sticks of butter and mix with a package of Onion Soup Mix. Coat the pretzels and then bake at 275 for about 20-25 minutes. They don't last long!

With that being said, I have a friend who used to be the HR guy for Utz. He gave me and my students a behind the scenes tour. In the pretzel factory there is a long oven. The pretzels go through on a conveyor, at the end they flip them over and then bring them back through. At the flipping point they are half baked (some of us know what that feels like!). You won't find a better pretzel than one that is still warm and half baked. Best pretzel I ever had.

I told my friend if I worked here, I'd be stopping by every Friday right before I went home. He said, "Most Fridays I do!"

I've never been a big hard pretzel fan, but I love me a good soft pretzel. I can eat them daily. I don't even know of any places with a reputation for making good ones, the only nostalgia I have for them was getting them from street vendors in Philly and in and around Veteran's stadium. These days I usually pick some up from Wawa when I visit because they last a long time, I'll bring some home with me. That probably means they are full of preservatives and bad things but I still like them, especially after 30 seconds in the microwave and covered in yellow mustard.

Is there even a place in eastern PA known for soft pretzels?

Is it possible to make decent quality soft pretzels at home? The store-bought frozen options are inedible.

I've never been a big hard pretzel fan, but I love me a good soft pretzel. I can eat them daily. I don't even know of any places with a reputation for making good ones, the only nostalgia I have for them was getting them from street vendors in Philly and in and around Veteran's stadium. These days I usually pick some up from Wawa when I visit because they last a long time, I'll bring some home with me. That probably means they are full of preservatives and bad things but I still like them, especially after 30 seconds in the microwave and covered in yellow mustard.

Is there even a place in eastern PA known for soft pretzels?

Is it possible to make decent quality soft pretzels at home? The store-bought frozen options are inedible.
Signore.... Easy to make excellent soft pretzels at home. Check out King Arthur Flour for recipes...

Reactions: PSUSignore
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT