ADVERTISEMENT

Wisky Snap Counts:

GregInPitt

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
USC
Interesting to see how the young talent is being worked into the lineup... From RLR:
https://bwi.forums.rivals.com/forums/bwi-mcandrew-board.20/create-thread

OFFENSE (74 PLAYS)

Pos. First Team Second Team Third Team / Reserves
QB Trace McSorley (71) Tommy Stevens (3)
RB Miles Sanders (65) Tommy Stevens (7) Ricky Slade (4) / Journey Brown (3)
WR DeAndre Thompkins (60) Cam Sullivan-Brown (13) John Reid (1)
WR Jahan Dotson (45) Justin Shorter (17)
WR K.J. Hamler (47) Mac Hippenhammer (20)
TE Pat Freiermuth (67) Nick Bowers (20) Jon Holland (1)
LT Will Fries (74)
LG Steven Gonzalez (70) Mike Miranda (4)
C Michel Menet (74)
RG Connor McGovern (74)
RT Ryan Bates (74)

- Polk finally benched. Would not have believed Thompkins would be the only non freshman in a game this year, with JJ and Polk also having considerable experience. But the young talent is there at WR, JJ apparently hurt and Polk not looking good.
- Nice to have some 2 TE formations on short yardage.

DEFENSE (58 PLAYS)

Pos. First Team Second Team Third Team
DE Shareef Miller (50) Shane Simmons (6) Daniel Joseph (3)
DT Kevin Givens (50) P.J. Mustipher (10) Yetur Gross-Matos (1)
DT Robert Windsor (50) Antonio Shelton (7)
DE Yetur Gross-Matos (46) Shaka Toney (11)
WLB Micah Parsons (46) Koa Farmer (12)
MLB Jan Johnson (31) Ellis Brooks (8)
SLB Cam Brown (49) Micah Parsons (4)
CB John Reid (49) Donovan Johnson (3)
S Nick Scott (57) Lamont Wade (2)
S Garrett Taylor (52) Jon Sutherland (6)
CB Amani Oruwariye (46) Tariq Castro-Fields (39)

- Parsons now playing first team reps.
- Our DL depth still pretty sparce. If the backups at both DT and DE were better, our starters would not have played such a high percentage of the plays.
- Coming into 2018 I would not have predicted that Wade would only get 2 plays at Safety this late in the season. Wade is a talented athlete that I hope can make a leap forward going into 2019, with one of the Safety spots opening up.

Nice to see Parsons take over. I thought maybe Farmer got injured, but it looks like they pushed him to second team. Farmer wasn’t effective setting the edge, which was resulting in 8-20 yard gains on the ground.

Nice to see the total plays run go in favor of PSU on offense. Key to having a rested, effective defense (2nd half pass rush in particular). Looks like 74 plays for PSU offense and 57 for PSU defense. 13 rushing 1st downs by PSU offense were a big factor; good work by Miles and the O-line!

This after having the PSU defense on the field for too many plays in the losses.

Reactions: BBrown and 83wuzme
Nice to see the total plays run go in favor of PSU on offense. Key to having a rested, effective defense (2nd half pass rush in particular). Looks like 74 plays for PSU offense and 57 for PSU defense. 13 rushing 1st downs by PSU offense were a big factor; good work by Miles and the O-line!

This after having the PSU defense on the field for too many plays in the losses.
Yeah, that was the big takeaway. Who was expecting PSU to decisively win TOP ?

Reactions: royboy
Interesting to see how the young talent is being worked into the lineup... From RLR:

OFFENSE (74 PLAYS)

LT Will Fries (74)
C Michel Menet (74)
RG Connor McGovern (74)
RT Ryan Bates (74)

- Polk finally benched. Would not have believed Thompkins would be the only non freshman in a game this year, with JJ and Polk also having considerable experience. But the young talent is there at WR, JJ apparently hurt and Polk not looking good.

DEFENSE (58 PLAYS)

- Our DL depth still pretty sparce. If the backups at both DT and DE were better, our starters would not have played such a high percentage of the plays.
- Coming into 2018 I would not have predicted that Wade would only get 2 plays at Safety this late in the season. Wade is a talented athlete that I hope can make a leap forward going into 2019, with one of the Safety spots opening up.

JMO but I think we need to go the Grad Transfer route for a DT and or LB. if for no other reason to add depth. But until we get that monster DT like, Clemson or Bama we will not be "elite".
Not sure what is up with Wade. I'm putting him on my possible transfer list.

+100. Its amazing how much better EVERYONE looks when you are at 40+% conversion rates for 3rd down.

Is Danny dalton hurt, or is he just buried at this point?

It is my belief that Dalton only got to the top of the depth chart (last Spring??) due to process of elimination. The other TE's were hurt (Bowers) and the talented freshmen were not in the running yet.

With Freiermuth set as the starter, likely for the next 3 years, and talented young players in the pipe line, I'm not expecting Dalton to make a big impact at PSU.... But that's up to him as he could continue to build himself up and eventually take the role Bowers seems to mainly have now as a good blocking TE for two TE sets....

The thing for this offense is to get yards on first down. Trace is not 100% and we don’t have the big play potential we had the previous two years. We can’t be constantly putting ourselves into 3rd and long. We need to have 3rd downs where almost the whole playbook is on the table.

Reactions: BBrown

OFFENSE (74 PLAYS)

LT Will Fries (74)
C Michel Menet (74)
RG Connor McGovern (74)
RT Ryan Bates (74)

DEFENSE (58 PLAYS)

Can't believe that about Wade. Thought he was a top, top, can't miss kind of guy. I'm sure he'll play moving forward, but he doesn't look like anything special.

Can't believe that about Wade. Thought he was a top, top, can't miss kind of guy. I'm sure he'll play moving forward, but he doesn't look like anything special.
I am guessing that they wanted Scott in the game for better run stopping support. Wade is not a big guy.

I think he is on both coverage units (I know he is on punt coverage, and I think also on kickoffs).... FWIW.

Not sure how many D snaps he has gotten.... but, aside from mop up time, probably no more than 40-50 over the season (rough guess)

EDIT: Just checked some of the video..... he has been on kickoffs as well (he and Parsons as the "gunners" - or whatever you would call the two guys lined up on either side of the kicker in the center of the field)

Thanks. That chart then must not show ST play.

Yes, so far he seems to be feeling his way and likely making some mistakes in coverage. But he is a great athlete and strong as a bull, and I'm hoping he makes a jump forward and takes over for Scott for the 2019 season.

If we would have had multiple RB injuries this season, it would not have surprised me to see Wade get a few carries on offense. He was a dynamic RB in high school. Of course Parsons would have been standing in line as well to play a little RB if there was a need this season...

Reactions: 83wuzme
Yes, so far he seems to be feeling his way and likely making some mistakes in coverage. But he is a great athlete and strong as a bull, and I'm hoping he makes a jump forward and takes over for Scott for the 2019 season.

If we would have had multiple RB injuries this season, it would not have surprised me to see Wade get a few carries on offense. He was a dynamic RB in high school. Of course Parsons would have been standing in line as well to play a little RB if there was a need this season...

Certainly expected more from Wade but I really like Sutherland so far. Question... will the transfer Brisker have to sit out next year? He sounds like a good one and brings more height to the safety position

Certainly expected more from Wade but I really like Sutherland so far. Question... will the transfer Brisker have to sit out next year? He sounds like a good one and brings more height to the safety position

I don't believe Brisker is considered a "transfer", but rather he is a Junior College player that I believe will have 3 years of eligibility remaining when he gets to PSU. And I believe he could play immediately in 2019 or redshirt and play 2020 thru 2022. But most believe he will hit the ground running and play in 2019, competing for playing time at Safety.

Reactions: 81b&w
I don't believe Brisker is considered a "transfer", but rather he is a Junior College player that I believe will have 3 years of eligibility remaining when he gets to PSU. And I believe he could play immediately in 2019 or redshirt and play 2020 thru 2022. But most believe he will hit the ground running and play in 2019, competing for playing time at Safety.

Thank you, sounds like he has the potential for quick playing time and I misunderstood the JC rules. Good win/win situation

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT