ADVERTISEMENT

Will we see any of these changes?

Will we see any changes in the last 4 games?

• Snap under center

Votes: 2 3.9%
  • Robinson as lead blocker in short yardage

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Barkley option pass

Votes: 12 23.5%
  • Stevens option pass

Votes: 27 52.9%
  • Fade to Gesicki in the end zone

Votes: 29 56.9%

• Total voters
I’d be ECSTATIC with a HB screen(if our OL could hold a block more more than a nanosecond)

LOL...you get what you pay for!
I would be happy with a new play should 3rd and 17 come up again.......and it will. That RPO to the left is not.........cutting it. Oh, punting from inside the opponents 45 with the game on the line should be..............reconsidered. See Minn 1999 and OSU 2017.

I don’t see how no one is IMPRESSED with us scoring 38 points on a top/elite defense.

Seriously. Give some credit. Perhaps we have work to do on the OL and run schemes but I’m not there are many historic PSU offenses who would have been able to do what these guys did.

Gotta give credit where it’s due.

I don’t see how no one is IMPRESSED with us scoring 38 points on a top/elite defense.

Seriously. Give some credit. Perhaps we have work to do on the OL and run schemes but I’m not there are many historic PSU offenses who would have been able to do what these guys did.

80 points total vs Michigan and tOSU....how many of the skeptics thought PSU would do that?

The only change needed in the final 4 Big games is an offensive line that doesn't get gassed and continues to block in the Fourth Quarter. That is the only change needed.

Take away the 10 running plays that lost 40 yds and were wasted downs, we probably score 50.

We ran at least one on Saturday. Barkley took it for a first down pretty early in the first half.
Yes we did run a screen in the first half and I was pleasantly surprised! I swear I have not seen another screen pass all year. I am not sure why we don’t use this more often with the lethal weapon we have in the backfield. Mind boggling. It could certainly help to slow down the rush.

I'm fine with the way the offense scores...the coaches just need to keep their foot on the gas anytime there is more than 2:00 on the clock in a one score game.

Reactions: Gnat91
I think last season spoiled us after such a drought. Now we expect that kind of pin ball scoring as a given. Defenses have adjusted but we still score in the 30's on good defenses. I'd have given a lot to have this scoring in many season past. We are on a very good trajectory and our oline will improve but it takes the longest of all units to jell and find their best. I hear we have so incoming and red shirting linemen to help in the coming years. Imagine complaining over scoring 38 in Columbus in any other year we played there. It's a shame we didn't finish it but we are good, can be better but we are good gentlemen.

I'm fine with the way the offense scores...the coaches just need to keep their foot on the gas anytime there is more than 2:00 on the clock in a one score game.

I was thinking the same thing. Just like the loss to USC. We went into the 4th with a nice sized lead and looked like we just tried to hang on. Franklin needs to go balls to the wall for a full 60. Hang a hundred on em' from now on if they can.

I would be happy with a new play should 3rd and 17 come up again.......and it will. That RPO to the left is not.........cutting it. Oh, punting from inside the opponents 45 with the game on the line should be..............reconsidered. See Minn 1999 and OSU 2017.
I was 1000% against that call. Wanted us to go for it. Didn’t see the blocked kick coming though. Just saw a likely touchback and relatively low-downside opportunity to keep the drive alive.

Yes we did run a screen in the first half and I was pleasantly surprised! I swear I have not seen another screen pass all year. I am not sure why we don’t use this more often with the lethal weapon we have in the backfield. Mind boggling. It could certainly help to slow down the rush.
look about 2-3 plays after the SB screen we run a screen to 88.

Listen, the offense is fine. 80 against Mich and OSU combined. Everyone flipping out over the offense. Everyone needs to flip the page and start asking questions about the defense. Why are we scoring 30 plus points and losing? The biggest issue this past Saturday was not the o-line even though there are issues. It was out lack of a pass rush and our inability to play defense in the secondary without pressure on the QB. I think our early season easier schedule masked some significant issues on defense that everyone wanted to ignore based on our inflated defensive ranking. Just my two cents....

Listen, the offense is fine. 80 against Mich and OSU combined. Everyone flipping out over the offense. Everyone needs to flip the page and start asking questions about the defense. Why are we scoring 30 plus points and losing? The biggest issue this past Saturday was not the o-line even though there are issues. It was out lack of a pass rush and our inability to play defense in the secondary without pressure on the QB. I think our early season easier schedule masked some significant issues on defense that everyone wanted to ignore based on our inflated defensive ranking. Just my two cents....

Agree; honestly, not sure we can fix this lack of a pass rush without significant blitzing, which carries it's own risks. We have good, not great D-linemen; the characteristic we see in championship teams are some really elite high NFL draft choice type D-linemen. Example: Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State. This can be eventually remedied by good recruiting, which Franklin is doing. In the meantime, this very good PSU team has a very narrow path to the playoffs.

People on this board can't have it both ways. Whenever weaknesses at DE and LB were discussed the response was that PSU led the nation giving up < 10 pts per game. Whenever somebody talked about OSU averaging 50+ points per game since Oklahoma the response was that they didn't play anybody.

That said you've got to be able to run the ball at least a little (aside from breakaway runs). And if you have speed and height but can't run between the tackles, it's pretty silly to insist on running between the tackles.

PSU has a good offense and a good defense but both have weaknesses. Smart coaches will try to pit their team's strengths against their opponents weaknesses. I think our caches are smart, but not very smart in the 4th quarter on Saturday.

Reactions: Al_Tuna
Why a fade to Gesicki? Jump ball to Gesicki on goal line opportunities. in short yardage. He has 4-10" height advantage on all DBs and can jump higher even if they were 6'6".

What happened to the crossing route by Johnson to win the Iowa game. Doesn't have to be all Gesecki, and the forgotten man Blackwell would have been a good target when we were on the 7 YL, first down. With those types of receivers, I can't believe we didn't throw to one of them, especially Johnson on that situation, We played not to loose and it bit us in the ass!

Reactions: Ct. Lion

what i think many analysts are doing is picking apart the nature of the PSU scores. 7 pts on KO return + 7 pts result of TO. our fumble recovery and the punt block cancelled out. net is the game looked more like we scored 24 pts. we also had considerable negative plays. the last 12 plays the SB touched the ball resulted in 10 negative yardage plays. I think this is what we are dealing with = the "eye test" as many refer to the perception.

Reactions: Al_Tuna
Agree; honestly, not sure we can fix this lack of a pass rush without significant blitzing, which carries it's own risks. We have good, not great D-linemen; the characteristic we see in championship teams are some really elite high NFL draft choice type D-linemen. Example: Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State. This can be eventually remedied by good recruiting, which Franklin is doing. In the meantime, this very good PSU team has a very narrow path to the playoffs.

I'm disappointed with our DTs this year. I thought they would be an elite group. I was worried about DE having to replace Schwan & Sickels. Losing Brown didn't help. I think a couple of our guys are too small and/or too young. I was also worried about OLB. Our guys have improved but they are certainly not elite. I was amazed when one poster predicted Bowen would leave early. Our DEs are young but should improve. I'm concerned about LB next year.

I agree that PSU is a very good team but I'm not even thinking about playoffs. Just win out and get to #6 then win a New Years 6 bowl game to finish top 5. That would be great and certainly not easy. I'm not convinced MSU will be easy. Noon start, on the road, injuries.

Michigan State, Michigan State, Michigan State

Reactions: Mixolydian
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT