ADVERTISEMENT

Will we see any changes for and during the Ball St. game???

GregInPitt

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
USC
Additional questions to close out the Wisky win may include:
Where were Lovett, Hansard, and some others? Media needs to add the question as to why were they missing and are they likely to play vs Ball St....

For Ball State:
- Hoping to see Fisher get in at DE. We need some more contributors at DE, including Luketa staying there, and I only saw Fisher come in (late to an unorganized looking group trying to get lined up) for the Wisky TD run.
- Hope to see more of King at CB, some young LB's get some playing time, and a deeper rotation at DT. Mustipher was outstanding yesterday, but we have so much young DT talent and it needs to develop by getting game reps.
- If PSU gets up on Ball St. we should see some of the younger WR's not only get in the game but get thrown to.
- Trautwein has said he will play all the olinemen that are ready to play. But the fine line to being "ready" may be that some were not really "ready" for a team like Wisky, but may be more than "ready" for Ball St. Hope to see a backup Center play, Effner and Wormley play some at Guard, and Fashanu and Tengwall get in at OT.
- And the sooner the better for getting Roberson a series or two at QB.

Reactions: NedFromYork
Where were Lovett, Hansard, and some others? Media needs to add the question as to why were they missing and are they likely to play vs Ball St....

For Ball State:
- Hoping to see Fisher get in at DE. We need some more contributors at DE, including Luketa staying there, and I only saw Fisher come in (late to an unorganized looking group trying to get lined up) for the Wisky TD run.
- Hope to see more of King at CB, some young LB's get some playing time, and a deeper rotation at DT. Mustipher was outstanding yesterday, but we have so much young DT talent and it needs to develop by getting game reps.
- If PSU gets up on Ball St. we should see some of the younger WR's not only get in the game but get thrown to.
- Trautwein has said he will play all the olinemen that are ready to play. But the fine line to being "ready" may be that some were not really "ready" for a team like Wisky, but may be more than "ready" for Ball St. Hope to see a backup Center play, Effner and Wormley play some at Guard, and Fashanu and Tengwall get in at OT.
I'd like to see Roberson play the entire 4th quarter. Maybe against Villanova.

For Ball State:
Someone mentioned they thought Wilson (transfer from Harvard) should start ahead of Whigan.

I hope to see Elsdon get the start @ MLB and Leuketa remain @ DE.

What happened to Lovett?

If PSU can start fast and blow Ball State out, I would like to see the back- ups @ all positions get some meaningful PT. Depth must be built in these OOC games.

Last edited:

For Ball State:
Roberson isn’t getting in unless it’s a blow out. Clifford needs as many snaps as he can get at this point.

For Ball State:
I hope we play a lot of young guys against ball state so that our starters get some rest. Ninety five snaps total yesterday is a big number. I wonder if they end up with a light practice schedule this week.

Reactions: BBrown and CVLion

For Ball State:
good question about Lovett I was expecting him to be much more involved along with Ellis and Hansard.
It will be an interesting week at practice for the kickers I think we see Pinegar.
I think we might see a lot more of the TE's and a a lot more outside zone runs and I think Cain goes off.
45-10 PSU

Reactions: CVLion
I thought Hansard played yesterday… no?
According to PSU-Wisconsin Box he played.

Penn State 0-Sutherland, Jonathan, 3-Dixon, Johnny, 4-King, Kalen, 6-Sullivan-Brown, Cam, 11-George, Daniel, 14-Lytton, A.J., 21-Rudolph, Tyler, 24-Lee, Keyvone, 25- Hardy, Daequan, 28-Ford, Devyn, 29-Costantini, Sebastian, 36-Fisher, Zuriah, 37-Hartlaub, Drew, 39-Dwyer, Robbie, 40-Luketa, Jesse, 43-Elsdon, Tyler, 44- Warren, Tyler, 45-Katshir, Charlie, 50-Chizmar, Max, 53-Hansard, Fred, 54-Tangelo, Derrick, 66-Dawkins, Nick, 68-Wilson, Eric, 72-Effner, Bryce, 75-Holmes, Des, 83-Weller, Justin, 84-Johnson, Theo, 87-Wilson, Benjamin, 89-Eubanks, Winston, 90-Checa, Rafael, 91-Stoll, Chris, 91-Ellies, Dvon, 92-Vilbert, Smith, 98- Stout, Jordan, 99-Izzard, Coziah

On defense, hope we see some more depth at LB and DE. Fisher and maybe one of the freshmen at DE. Elsdon, King and maybe Buddin at LB.
On offense, maybe the OC can get out of the gate earlier. I understand if this is Yurcich’s system we are going from an inside zone running game to more of an outside zone game. It’s a change, and I get it. But we were just awful running the ball on Wisky until we were able to make completions down the field. Our OL should have a higher ceiling this year. I want to see somebody rush for over 100. Cain looked good and even appeared a bit quicker when he had a chance, which wasn’t often.
It would also be nice to see a new WR out there making plays.

Reactions: GregInPitt

For Ball State:
Starting Cain would probably be a good place to start.

On defense, hope we see some more depth at LB and DE. Fisher and maybe one of the freshmen at DE. Elsdon, King and maybe Buddin at LB.
On offense, maybe the OC can get out of the gate earlier. I understand if this is Yurcich’s system we are going from an inside zone running game to more of an outside zone game. It’s a change, and I get it. But we were just awful running the ball on Wisky until we were able to make completions down the field. Our OL should have a higher ceiling this year. I want to see somebody rush for over 100. Cain looked good and even appeared a bit quicker when he had a chance, which wasn’t often.
It would also be nice to see a new WR out there making plays.
Frankly I thought the offense would play pretty much like it did. Start slow against a very good defense on the road and the first game under the new offensive coordinator with a new system. 249 yards in the second half was a pretty good adjustment.

Reactions: Cpeplion

For Ball State:
I think you're referring to Beamon, not Hansard. Lovett not there, also no Ellis. Hansard played.

I think you're referring to Beamon, not Hansard. Lovett not there, also no Ellis. Hansard played.
When I wrote that I hadn't noticed that Hansard had played. But then when re-watching one of the interceptions I noticed him, #53, on the return. But yes, Beamon has been anticipated to be a key player on the DL, as well as Ellis in the secondary.

I think we see more of the deep pass against Ball State. We don’t want to be leaving points on the field in games vs tough opponents and this is one area for improvement to work on.

Last edited:
Reactions: BBrown
I would advise all not to expect an easy game on Saturday. I would expect it to be a 4th quarter game and hopefully PSU will pull away and win by a few scores. Ball State will present a different challenge to the defense. They won't be able to pound the ball the way Wiscy did but they will present more of a challenge to our pass defense. But I don't think we will see too many guys play who did not play yesterday.

Reactions: step.eng69
I would advise all not to expect an easy game on Saturday. I would expect it to be a 4th quarter game and hopefully PSU will pull away and win by a few scores. Ball State will present a different challenge to the defense. They won't be able to pound the ball the way Wiscy did but they will present more of a challenge to our pass defense. But I don't think we will see too many guys play who did not play yesterday.

I think we run up the middle on them. How successful at that we are, I don't know. I think it's the plan though.

Reactions: Ten Thousan Marbles
I've heard that Ball St. has some good players, but I just don't see them being able to shut down the PSU ground game the way Wisky did. And once Cain gets into the secondary a couple of times he has the tackle breaking and speed to rack up serious yardage. Together with Clifford getting a little more time in the pocket and calming down some being at home, I'm looking for a 45-17 type of game..... with Ball St. only getting some scores duel to PSU getting lots of 2nd and 3rd team player some experience......

Last edited:
Reactions: LeatherHelmets
Ball State struggled with Western Illinois on Saturday winning 31-21. Western Illinois is an FCS team who is 2-17 over the last two seasons. They have the potential to play much better than that, but perhaps they are a bit overrated.

Reactions: JoeParulz
They are 4-8 vs OOC opponents from '17-'19. Some of those 4 wins are versus FCS schools.

We should roll. Efficiency should be what we look for rather than winning purely out of a sheer talent advantage.

I am hoping to see some new numbers for us out there.
The idea of Sutherland backing up FS, SS and SLB has me more than a bit concerned. He did seem to improve last season, but on Saturday, there was a pretty significant drop off when he was in the game. I realize Ellis was not available, but we have other scholarship safeties on the roster like Rudolf, Jennings and the freshman, Reed. I can’t believe Sutherland is seeing all of these reps because he is that good.
It would also be good to see some other LB’s out there like Elsdorf and Buddin.

Last edited:
Work on blitz pick ups, throw to the backs and tight ends, run the ball consistently, get Clifford comfortable and find someone to get open on deep patterns not wearing #5. On D, get more guys important reps and stay aggressive. The O-line needs reps together in live action, so find 5 and go with them. A lot of their issues were confusion from Wisky D and not getting beat by their man.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT