ADVERTISEMENT

Will we continue to sub personnel a lot vs OSU?

TheWizardofCamelot

Apr 28, 2017
Is this a strategy to stay fresh? Will we see it against OSU, the rest of the season? Throughout the first 4 games, the staff has made entire group substitutions on almost a series by series basis (outside of Oline, QB). It's not like we've waited for the score to separate before bringing in second teamers - on Friday, our "first-team" defense played the first series and then we saw a complete overhaul of "second-team" players roll in for series two.

Or has the staff had the opportunity to identify the most talented/experienced personnel units, and are ready to ride with smaller groupings for the sake of continuity and having our best on the field for longer periods of time?

How do you see it playing out?

This is the first year the staff has consistently subbed the entire defense from one series to the next. Cabinda, Bowen, Allen, Apke, Haley played nearly every down of games last year which did not end up in a blowout.

The entire receiving/te core has been rotated out on a series by series basis. Guys like Godwin, Hamilton, Gesicki were every down players on the offensive side of the ball.

The distribution of snaps through the first five games have not been consistent with what the staff has generally done in the past - with the exception of the defensive line. There has been an obvious emphasis on substitutions and snap distribution through 4 games.

@stormingnorm your snarky responses tend to remind of teenage girl arguing with her mother. Have a drink and don't get your panties so bunched.

This is the first year the staff has consistently subbed the entire defense from one series to the next. Cabinda, Bowen, Allen, Apke, Haley played nearly every down of games last year which did not end up in a blowout.

The entire receiving/te core has been rotated out on a series by series basis. Guys like Godwin, Hamilton, Gesicki were every down players on the offensive side of the ball.

The distribution of snaps through the first five games have not been consistent with what the staff has generally done in the past - with the exception of the defensive line. There has been an obvious emphasis on substitutions and snap distribution through 4 games.

@stormingnorm your snarky responses tend to remind of teenage girl arguing with her mother. Have a drink and don't get your panties so bunched.
good answer. For me, I would like to see us narrow down the number of people playing LBer. Decide who your best 4(if playing 2) 6 (if playing 3) and go with those guys, or in other words a 2 deep rotation at most.

Urby gonna pull a fast pace (hurry-up) no-huddle offense on us!

:eek:
seeing how most teams dont huddle, the pace is what it is, what would hurt us more, is a no sub offense by OSU . They just keep their 11 out there, so we dont have time to sub. Dont forget if they sub, we get time to sub as well.

Reactions: JJTopp99
Another reason for all the subbing is that 30 of our 75 top players are freshmen. CJF likely recruited these top players with a promise of early quality playing time. He was fulfilling his promise in our first 4 scrimmage games against inferior teams. I bet he still subs a lot during Ohio State but not as much.

Nick Bosa’s parents indicate star Ohio State DE won’t even be reevaluated until November
By John TaylorSep 24, 2018, 9:27 PM ED)Instead of when will Ohio State gets it’s star defensive end back, perhaps the question should be will they.

Nick Bosa suffered a core muscle injury in the Week 3 win over TCU, with surgery subsequently confirmed by head coach Urban Meyer that left the All-American defensive lineman’s availability in the near future up in the air. Not long after Meyer confirmed Monday that Bosa would indeed miss this weekend’s huge matchup with Penn State, both of the third-year junior’s parents indicated that it could be quite a while, if at all, before their son returns to the playing field — at least at the collegiate level.

John Bosa told the Columbus Dispatch “the reality of what’s going on [is that] Nick won’t be evaluated by the surgeon until November”; Cheryl Bosa stated as much to ESPN.com as well.

While Bosa’s head coach stated that “we expect him back” this season, his mom intimated there’s a chance her son, widely expected to be a Top Five pick in the 2019 NFL draft if/when he leaves OSU early, could opt not to return at all in 2018.

“Cheryl said her son wants to return for Ohio State this season,” ESPN.com wrote, “but that they’ll discuss his situation (NFL) as a family before making a decision.”

Regardless of whether he returns to the Buckeyes or not, the good news is that, per the father, the injury “is 100-percent fixable.”

OSU will play four regular season games in the month of November: Nebraska (Nov. 3), at Michigan State (Nov. 10), at Maryland (Nov. 17) and Michigan (Nov. 24). The Big Ten championship game is set for Dec. 1.

It’s unclear if Bosa’s decision will be impacted by the Buckeyes qualifying for the conference title game or, further down the road, the College Football Playoffs if they’re one of the four semifinalists.

Last edited:

For those attending the game in person, remember that noise can disrupt offensive communication, regardless of whether the opposing team huddles or not, and not just immediately before the snap (after the offense is set up) but also earlier while they are attempting to call the play.

You hit on one of the main reasons their offense is rolling right now. They play at warp speed quite a bit which usually has the defense fatigued in the last part of the game. They substitute but with complete units so they can keep going no huddle and prevent defensive substitutions

But with that said, the one thing that can slow them than is loud crowd noise and your white out takes a back seat to no one. Gonna be an interesting one to watch

You hit on one of the main reasons their offense is rolling right now. They play at warp speed quite a bit which usually has the defense fatigued in the last part of the game. They substitute but with complete units so they can keep going no huddle and prevent defensive substitutions

But with that said, the one thing that can slow them than is loud crowd noise and your white out takes a back seat to no one. Gonna be an interesting one to watch
HUH? They substitute but complete units so that prevents the defense from subbing?? explain that.

HUH? They substitute but complete units so that prevents the defense from subbing?? explain that.

Sorry, I should have stated it better. They rotate their units/players at the start of a series/possession and keep them in - for the most part - for the whole series. Keep in mind, their OC is Ryan Day who coached under Chip K.

Sorry, I should have stated it better. They rotate their units/players at the start of a series/possession and keep them in - for the most part - for the whole series. Keep in mind, their OC is Ryan Day who coached under Chip K.
so? They end up playing 2's and 3's for an entire series? I'll take my chances.

so? They end up playing 2's and 3's for an entire series? I'll take my chances.

I think Urban/Day's thinking is it forces the other team to play their 2s also as fatigue sets in on the other side. . It utilizes their depth advantage. Plus their 2s and 3s aren't exactly scrubs

I predicted earlier on another thread that Michigan would win the BIG this year and I still stand by it. Their starters are every bit as good as OSU and PSU's. My one area of concern is our depth (2s and 3s) compared to OSU's and to some extent PSU's although your depth is getting better each and every year. If you go back and watch our recent games against the sucknuts that they've won, it's always the 2nd half charges that has done both the Wolverines and PSU in and that's the depth advantage they hold

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT