ADVERTISEMENT

Will Rutgers be the break out game for Hack and the WR/TE crew??

simons96

Feb 3, 2013
Plano, TX
the Rutgers secondary gave up 478 yards and 4 TDs to Luke Falk this week . . . after giving up 199 yards to Norfolk State last week.

so far the PSU play calling with the passing game has seemed quite conservative, wonder if Hack and Co. finally get a change to unload . . .

I don't say this to get into the whole discussion of the arrests there (we've had enough flames from Rutgers trolls lately), but there's no way their secondary can be in good form. I'll be surprised (& very disappointed) if they don't become the break-out game for our passing O. The bigger ? in my mind is whether that can be a catalyst for upcoming games.

If they get a block or two here and there... coupled with roll or two ... here and there and a play action or two ... here and there and the TE holds on to balls thrown right in his hands...once or twice....and the backs take a blocking lesson from the tight ends...

Actually, I think they will. It was only Buffalo but it was a very wet one. I think the water played a role in lowering PSU's passing productivity....if the track and ball are dry.... I think Hack and Company light it up.

Well, I do not know about a "breakout". I think Franklin will stay with the O he used against Buffalo. Max protection, and run regardless of the number in the box. When passing there is ONLY time for one read then throw the ball. When and If there is any confidence in blocking Hack "might" look to s second receiver. In the Rutgers WSU game the WSU QB was getting close to 5 seconds on pass plays !!! At best we get 2-3.
PLUS, there may be some improvement if Barkley plays more and Polk at WR. Polk has the quickness our other receivers lack to get separation. Our other receivers have proven to be pretty easy to cover one-on-one. That all have good speed but are NOT quick.

the Rutgers secondary gave up 478 yards and 4 TDs to Luke Falk this week . . . after giving up 199 yards to Norfolk State last week.

so far the PSU play calling with the passing game has seemed quite conservative, wonder if Hack and Co. finally get a change to unload . . .

I doubt it. This staff is very slow to change or adjust. From what I hear this week's offensive performance was similar to last week with the exception of decreased sacks due to TE blocking help and Barkley showing some promise. Dropped passes, hardly looking downfield to stretch the D, etc.- I don't expect that to change much. Washington State's pass offense will be light years ahead of Donovan. I expect another 13-10 type game. Hope I'm wrong.

WSU OL gave their QB about "5 seconds" to throw on passing downs. Hack get at best 2-3. That is the difference !!!!!

Reactions: Ranger Dan
Actually, I'm hoping for a focus on running the ball with Barkley and some play action passes thrown in. Has Hack been under center much this year? I can't recall any specific plays...

If Saquon and Akeel give them something to worry about, the play action becomes meaningful. When Saquon started gashing Buffalo suddenly our passing game began to click. I think Rutgers is another step in the right direction. Just hoping for an injury free game!

Reactions: Marshall30
I doubt it. This staff is very slow to change or adjust. From what I hear this week's offensive performance was similar to last week with the exception of decreased sacks due to TE blocking help and Barkley showing some promise. Dropped passes, hardly looking downfield to stretch the D, etc.- I don't expect that to change much. Washington State's pass offense will be light years ahead of Donovan. I expect another 13-10 type game. Hope I'm wrong.

Couple of weather related (and other points)....hack threw a couple of really nice deep balls, one giesiki dropped for a sure TD (in addition to another short one), one to Godwin which should have been a td but the buffalo db (smartly) interfered when he knew he was beaten. these plays, along with Nelson getting hurt which caused the time to run off in the half before we could get a FG off contributed to leaving points and a good chunk of yards on the field. It definitely wasn't pretty, but there were some good things that we did and the weather definitely had a big impact.

Don't expect a breakout game all year. OL and injuries along with lingering sanction impacts in depth are evident. Of the remaining games all are possible to win with exception of OSU and MSU. However, a loss in any game is a distinct possibility.

Well, I do not know about a "breakout". I think Franklin will stay with the O he used against Buffalo. Max protection, and run regardless of the number in the box. When passing there is ONLY time for one read then throw the ball. When and If there is any confidence in blocking Hack "might" look to s second receiver. In the Rutgers WSU game the WSU QB was getting close to 5 seconds on pass plays !!! At best we get 2-3.
PLUS, there may be some improvement if Barkley plays more and Polk at WR. Polk has the quickness our other receivers lack to get separation. Our other receivers have proven to be pretty easy to cover one-on-one. That all have good speed but are NOT quick.
You might be correct. I have a hunch PSU will use more spread w/3 or 4 WO. My reason for thinking this is simply to force Rutgers to put 5 and 6 DB's on the field. We know they are decimated at his position and we could force them to put kids on the field that weren't in their plans a few weeks ago. A spread would not be bad for the running game and Lynch/Barkley and would match our best athletes (wide receivers) against their weakest.

Reactions: simons96
Couple of weather related (and other points)....hack threw a couple of really nice deep balls, one giesiki dropped for a sure TD (in addition to another short one), one to Godwin which should have been a td but the buffalo db (smartly) interfered when he knew he was beaten. these plays, along with Nelson getting hurt which caused the time to run off in the half before we could get a FG off contributed to leaving points and a good chunk of yards on the field. It definitely wasn't pretty, but there were some good things that we did and the weather definitely had a big impact.

Fair enough but every week (for all teams) there's a bunch of woulda/ coulda/ shoulda type plays. ;). As some point the receivers actually need to catch those balls, Hack needs to stop overthrowing receivers or putting in the dirt at their shoes, the line has to block the blitz, etc. I expect Rutgers will stack the line and blitz a lot. The psu receivers haven't shown a lot to cause opposing teams to fear them.

I watched the entire RU/WSU game and WSU's passing game is something to behold. Trust me, despite having Hackenberg and a two-deep full of athletic young receivers we are not even in the same stratosphere as WSU passing-wise. What's more, WSU's OL COMPLETELY shut down RU's pass rush. Their quarterback had all day to throw.

Will Hack & Co. e "break out" against RU? We'll see, I have my doubts. Whatever the case, I don't for a minute believe we'll torch this team to the tune of 478 yards.

If Barkley can do what he did against Buffalo, then Rutgers must play off the line some to protect against the run. This should give Hack and his receivers addition time to run the pass patterns that can attack the Rutgers secondary! I foresee a stronger Offensive showing both on the ground and in the air. I also expect our D to thrive! This game could be a 34-10 win for Penn State!

I don't say this to get into the whole discussion of the arrests there (we've had enough flames from Rutgers trolls lately), but there's no way their secondary can be in good form. I'll be surprised (& very disappointed) if they don't become the break-out game for our passing O. The bigger ? in my mind is whether that can be a catalyst for upcoming games.

How does their pass rush look?
I had heard a rumor that their best DL was hurt.

Fair enough but every week (for all teams) there's a bunch of woulda/ coulda/ shoulda type plays. ;). As some point the receivers actually need to catch those balls, Hack needs to stop overthrowing receivers or putting in the dirt at their shoes, the line has to block the blitz, etc. I expect Rutgers will stack the line and blitz a lot. The psu receivers haven't shown a lot to cause opposing teams to fear them.
Agreed, I was more highlightng how weather made things look much worse. Also, Godwin played very well, even with the conditions. I think we'll have a good showing against rutgers.

Actually, I'm hoping for a focus on running the ball with Barkley and some play action passes thrown in. Has Hack been under center much this year? I can't recall any specific plays...
Yes, he was yesterday for some plays. I didn't try to determine frequency but he was under center several times.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT