ADVERTISEMENT

Will "Iowa" style be good or bad for DeSanto?

Headed to San Fran for work this fall and staying an extra week, what falls into the 'must do/see' category?

As horraybeer said, Yosemite Valley is a must see if you haven't been there before. I would recommend seeing it during the week to stay out of the traffic jams that happen there on the weekends. Depending on how much you want to cram in, you could drive over Tioga Pass in Yosemite and see Mono Lake and Lake Tahoe on your way back to San Fran. Of course depending on how late in the fall you are talking about, snow will become a factor to consider.

Reactions: Gebmo
Headed to San Fran for work this fall and staying an extra week, what falls into the 'must do/see' category?

And while you are in San Fran theres all the usual stuff; Coit Tower, Lombard Street, Golden Gate, Alcatraz, Presidio etc. And there is an endless amount of excellent restaurants.

As horraybeer said, Yosemite Valley is a must see if you haven't been there before. I would recommend seeing it during the week to stay out of the traffic jams that happen there on the weekends. Depending on how much you want to cram in, you could drive over Tioga Pass in Yosemite and see Mono Lake and Lake Tahoe on your way back to San Fran. Of course depending on how late in the fall you are talking about, snow will become a factor to consider.
Yosemite is great but need to plan to stay the night before in the park or near the west or south gates. Fresno is OK if closer hotels are booked. If Merced is the best option, change dates.

We did it as a day trip from near Stanford -- but it's 3+ hrs each way before traffic. We left at about 4 am to beat park traffic. Hit Bay Area traffic on the way back. Don't be us.

Also, we almost got stranded in the park due to a snowstorm -- in late May. Got diverted to the South gate (and barely got out that way), treacherous bad weather drive inside the park and added 2 hrs to the return.

I'd absolutely do it again, but not from that far out.

And while you are in San Fran theres all the usual stuff; Coit Tower, Lombard Street, Golden Gate, Alcatraz, Presidio etc. And there is an endless amount of excellent restaurants.
Japanese Garden is excellent.

Napa or Sonoma worth doing. Can do as a day trip, including all the way to Calistoga.

I'd also go south for an overnight to Hearst Castle. Spectacular. 5 different 2 hr tours, recommend doing the basic + 1 other. Need advance tickets. Too much for a day trip but can combine with the Monterey/Carmel area.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, Prague, and a six-hour layover in Stockholm on the way home.
Very nice! Did all if them except Stockholm on a summer trip some years ago. Liked Prague the most, Paris the least.

Reactions: tikk10
Yosemite is great but need to plan to stay the night before in the park or near the west or south gates. Fresno is OK if closer hotels are booked. If Merced is the best option, change dates.

We did it as a day trip from near Stanford -- but it's 3+ hrs each way before traffic. We left at about 4 am to beat park traffic. Hit Bay Area traffic on the way back. Don't be us.

Also, we almost got stranded in the park due to a snowstorm -- in late May. Got diverted to the South gate (and barely got out that way), treacherous bad weather drive inside the park and added 2 hrs to the return.

I'd absolutely do it again, but not from that far out.

We went one June, camped out near the west entrance (Tamarack Flats) - and it snowed overnight. But the next day in the valley was beautiful. The drive out Tioga Road to Mono Lake is also pretty awesome.

The PEZ Museum is fun for 20 minutes! It’s in Burlingame, which is near SF airport.

abmpm300c.jpg

Last edited:

Definitely Yosemite....gorgeous. We had plans to just sleep in the car. Ha.....every place there was room to pull off the road....they had logs to prevent it. Clever girls. :) Sequoia National Park was really cool. We enjoyed King's Canyon as well. I think it is pretty close to Sequoia.

Reactions: palmettolion
When I have guests, they always enjoy a bike ride across the windy Golden Gate Bridge (on the sidewalk bike lane) and via Fort Baker to Sausalito and, if desired, to Tiburon. Then, take the Ferry back to SF. See link below. Don’t forget to go through Fort Baker—that route is way more scenic than staying on the main road after you cross the bridge.

https://www.blazingsaddles.com/san-...lf-guided-tours/bike-bridge-sausalito-tiburon

Definitely Yosemite....gorgeous. We had plans to just sleep in the car. Ha.....every place there was room to pull off the road....they had logs to prevent it. Clever girls. :) Sequoia National Park was really cool. We enjoyed King's Canyon as well. I think it is pretty close to Sequoia.

They aren't far from each other. A few years ago, I hiked Rae's Lake Loop in Kings Canyon and we stopped at Sequoia on the way in. We also went to Moro Rock, which I would highly recommend. Absolutely stunning views.

They aren't far from each other. A few years ago, I hiked Rae's Lake Loop in Kings Canyon and we stopped at Sequoia on the way in. We also went to Moro Rock, which I would highly recommend. Absolutely stunning views.
Good to hear - heading to Yosemite, then SeKi in 11 days. Going early in the season precludes some things, but I’m psyched. Need to hit these places before I’m too old - I’d hate to be at Yosemite and be stuck in the valley or on shuttles with fat tourists because my legs are shot

Good to hear - heading to Yosemite, then SeKi in 11 days. Going early in the season precludes some things, but I’m psyched. Need to hit these places before I’m too old - I’d hate to be at Yosemite and be stuck in the valley or on shuttles with fat tourists because my legs are shot

The waterfalls should be in full effect right now.

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
The waterfalls should be in full effect right now.
Can’t wait. Love waterfalls - saw about 100 of them in Iceland. Heading to Hetch Hetchy one day I’m in Yosemite to see Wapama falls where it looks like the waterfall goes right over the trail at times

When I have guests, they always enjoy a bike ride across the windy Golden Gate Bridge (on the sidewalk bike lane) and via Fort Baker to Sausalito and, if desired, to Tiburon. Then, take the Ferry back to SF. See link below. Don’t forget to go through Fort Baker—that route is way more scenic than staying on the main road after you cross the bridge.

https://www.blazingsaddles.com/san-...lf-guided-tours/bike-bridge-sausalito-tiburon
In Sausalito, you can kayak the Bay. My kids particularly enjoyed seeing the houseboats, back in the day, on feet and from the water.

http%3A%2F%2Fcom.ft.imagepublish.prod.s3.amazonaws.com%2F60e24b2c-15dc-11e3-950a-00144feabdc0

https://www.seatrek.com/kayak-trips/
https://www.oursausalito.com/houseboats.html

Last edited:
We went one June, camped out near the west entrance (Tamarack Flats) - and it snowed overnight. But the next day in the valley was beautiful. The drive out Tioga Road to Mono Lake is also pretty awesome.
If you go to Mono Lake, you should visit the Bodie ghost town, if you're into that Josey Wales kind of thing. My whole family, including in-laws, enjoyed that place!

bodie-ghost-town.jpg

https://www.visitmammoth.com/trip-ideas/bodie-ghost-town-mono-lake-june-lake-loop-full-day-itinerary

Last edited:
Ha! But not remote enough for that. More like the Door to Hell in central Asia ... anyone going there?

No, but I hear there is a former D1 wrestler who is skilled at creating GoFundMe drives. Maybe we could send them both?

I’ll be visiting horseshoe curve this summer. Maybe hit up Idlewild park if all goes well and towards end of summer I may be able to swing an overnight at Raystown lake.....

I’m so thrilled...

AT&T is the second best ballpark I've been to after PNC in Pittsburgh. I might rank it #1 for day games (but watch for sunburn) and #2 for night games. PNC for night games is tremendous and a runaway #1.

Reactions: dunkej01
AT&T is the second best ballpark I've been to after PNC in Pittsburgh. I might rank it #1 for day games (but watch for sunburn) and #2 for night games. PNC for night games is tremendous and a runaway #1.
AT&T is a great ballpark but any stadium in SF gets downgraded at night. Meat locker would be warmer.

Pretty sure the coldest winter I ever experienced was a July night game at Candlestick.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT