ADVERTISEMENT

Will Charles & Johnson see much time at WR this fall?

bdgan

May 29, 2008
Charles is listed at 6-4, 224 pounds, while Johnson is 6-4, 221. Their size could create a mismatch for opponents. But they're young and there are several WRs with experience.

Other WRs:
Godwin 6' 1"
Hamilton 6' 1"
Thompkins 5' 11"
Blacknall 6' 3"
Polk 5' 9"

Last edited:
Reactions: NJPSU
Charles is listed at 6-4, 224 pounds, while Johnson is 6-4, 221. Their size could create a mismatch for opponents. But they're young and there are several WRs with experience.

Other WRs:
Godwin 6' 1"
Thompkins 5' 11"
Blacknall 6' 3"
Polk 5' 9"

They have a ton of experience ahead of them, but I imagine we will see them on the field. We just don't know how much Moorhead will shuffle players, but I think we see them some this year.

As much as I am exciting to watch Barkley/Robinson/Sanders in the backfield, I think the real excitement will be at the WR position. Not sure when (if ever) PSU has had this much talent, potential and diversity there. You've got two experienced, medium-sized wide outs in Hamilton and Godwin, two young, small and fast slot receivers in Polk and Thompkins and two tall RS freshmen for mismatches in Charles and Johnson. If that wasn't enough, throw in a tall, fast do-it-all receiver poised for a break-out year in Blacknall. I love what Lewis did for the program, but I can see why he transferred.

Reactions: BBrown

Other WRs:
Godwin 6' 1"
Thompkins 5' 11"
Blacknall 6' 3"
Polk 5' 9"

Did DaeSean Hamilton quit the team or something?

Thompkins and Polk have VERY little experience at WR.

Other WRs:
Godwin 6' 1"
Thompkins 5' 11"
Blacknall 6' 3"
Polk 5' 9"

Why not, they create instant mismatches.

As much as I am exciting to watch Barkley/Robinson/Sanders in the backfield, I think the real excitement will be at the WR position. Not sure when (if ever) PSU has had this much talent, potential and diversity there. You've got two experienced, medium-sized wide outs in Hamilton and Godwin, two young, small and fast slot receivers in Polk and Thompkins and two tall RS freshmen for mismatches in Charles and Johnson. If that wasn't enough, throw in a tall, fast do-it-all receiver poised for a break-out year in Blacknall. I love what Lewis did for the program, but I can see why he transferred.

I know this might sound silly but I'm a more worried about QB & TE than I am about the OL. We need a good QB to get the ball to those WRs and a TE that can both block and catch passes. McSorely is unproven. I think Gesicki will be OK but the other TEs are young. We have more experienced bodies on the OL.

I've posted this several times. DC's wait to see the personnel package from the OC before sending their subs in. They spend hours and hours studying tendencies depending upon the offense's personnel package deployed. If you have the small fleet WR's in and no TE's you're probably going to pass and the appropriate defense is sent in.

When you've got to WR's over 220, you can block pretty darn well (when most TE's are 240). Team that will PSU's "hurry up" offense. Now, you can put in Johnson & Charles with Barkley (who is strong, fast and has good hands) and PSU can run or pass, in just about any combination, without changing personnel (and tipping off their play tendencies).

From what I have heard J. Johnson has been the better of the two during spring practice and it is mostly because Charles has not been impressing so far. This is the opposite of what was said about how the two played last year on scout team where Charles was the one that was turning heads all year. Regardless it should be interesting to see how they use the two and if either can be a redzone threat.

Other WRs:
Godwin 6' 1"
Hamilton 6' 1"
Thompkins 5' 11"
Blacknall 6' 3"
Polk 5' 9"
You'll see them as both were good enough athletes to see time last year but Franklin kept the redshirt on them. My understanding is Trace threw a lot to them and they went against our first team db's with a reasonable success in practice. I'm sure one or both will be out there when we're in the redzone...........

I know this might sound silly but I'm a more worried about QB & TE than I am about the OL. We need a good QB to get the ball to those WRs and a TE that can both block and catch passes. McSorely is unproven. I think Gesicki will be OK but the other TEs are young. We have more experienced bodies on the OL.

How did McSorley look against the #1 pass defense in the country in the bowl game?

With the tempo that the offense is going to play under, they plan on having a large rotation of players come in and out at wide receiver. You will see all of those top 6 or 7 guys on the depth chart in the game.

With the tempo that the offense is going to play under, they plan on having a large rotation of players come in and out at wide receiver. You will see all of those top 6 or 7 guys on the depth chart in the game.
Who are they going to beat out to get on the field? I don"t see them getting many rep's this year on the first team, but next year will be a different story. Hamilton and Goodwin declaring to go pro after this year.

Who are they going to beat out to get on the field? I don"t see them getting many rep's this year on the first team, but next year will be a different story. Hamilton and Goodwin declaring to go pro after this year.

Let's see what kind of season these guys have before assuming they'll leave early for the NFL.

THEY ARE GOING TO ROTATE PLAYERS AT WIDE RECEIVER. They will play 7 guys. They don't need to get reps at "first team"....they don't need to beat out Godwin, Hamilton, and Blacknall because they are going to rotate players.

Not a difficult concept.

Reactions: DB2592
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT