ADVERTISEMENT

Why Do Some Of You....

Serious Question as I continue to read hate after hate after negative after negative.

Why do some of you even like Penn State?
There are a lot of miserable people in this world who want to try to make you miserable as well. I am a realist about this team and program and want more but to constantly view everything as the glass half empty really serves no purpose. Pointing out issue is what these forums are here for as well as saying what is going well but when all you do is rip on the team and coaches you should find something else to make you happy but I suspect these pole are most happiest doing the ripping and getting a rise out of people. We have these types at work but usually weed them out before they can become a cancer.

There are a lot of miserable people in this world who want to try to make you miserable as well. I am a realist about this team and program and want more but to constantly view everything as the glass half empty really serves no purpose. Pointing out issue is what these forums are here for as well as saying what is going well but when all you do is rip on the team and coaches you should find something else to make you happy but I suspect these pole are most happiest doing the ripping and getting a rise out of people. We have these types at work but usually weed them out before they can become a cancer.
Agreed, I guess it just got me this morning with the comments on the Vegas Bowl. I know JF has faults. I know he has to get better. I know some of the guys need to get a lot better.....but to say you are worried about going to Vegas because of bars and gambling......good God, there has to be something better for you to do.

Agreed, I guess it just got me this morning with the comments on the Vegas Bowl. I know JF has faults. I know he has to get better. I know some of the guys need to get a lot better.....but to say you are worried about going to Vegas because of bars and gambling......good God, there has to be something better for you to do.
Outside of being in a big bowl, Vegas is one of the best possible road trips for most fans. Lots of flights, tons of hotels, plenty to see and do in town. I was just in Vegas a few months ago and I'd consider going there for a bowl.

Outside of being in a big bowl, Vegas is one of the best possible road trips for most fans. Lots of flights, tons of hotels, plenty to see and do in town. I was just in Vegas a few months ago and I'd consider going there for a bowl.
$700 r/t on Southwest. $550 on spirit.

Serious Question as I continue to read hate after hate after negative after negative.

Honestly, at least for me, I'm at a tipping point where it's maddening to watch the team piss away win after win. This year alone Iowa, Illinois, Michigan and MSU were very winnable games. Couple that with Franklin again crying to get another new contract then the team shitting the bed in several games right after.

I tried to at least be objective in my criticisms. Although I'll admit I at times I join the F@#$ everyone crowd out of frustration.

I've come to the realization that the team is what it is. 7-5. And might remain close to that for the foreseeable future. I'm now at the point where I just don't care. I won't go out of the way to watch anymore. And if a better game is on, I'll probably watch it mostly.

I became a fan of PSU in the 90s when I really got into football. And always rooted for the team, even through the Dark Years, the Sandusky BS, etc.

I like watching good football. I would like turning on the PSU game to watch good football. I hope the team gets better, I'm just not sure it will happen anytime soon.

If that makes me a miserable person and a bandwagon jumper to you, so be it.

As I suspect, many of us started going to games when we were kids, for me it was in the late 60s, then later in life we went to school at PSU. We love Dear Old State, it's like a part of our DNA, so there is not an option for rooting for another school. I have been a supporter of Franklin, even through some bonehead in game calls, the leveraging of " other offers" over the years, and the persistent offensive line "challenges." He lost me this year after the Illinois game...absolutely no excuse for that one, and once again, we got duped for a 10 year deal with no proof of future success. I'm not in favor, nor have I ridiculed players in the past, but I feel that someone getting paid this kind of money absolutely is ripe for criticism. Hope that answers your question, at least as far as I see it.

Reactions: MacNit07 and Ski

I don't agree with the premise.

Way too often, people are pushed into being labeled "haters" or "lovers". Because I can critique CJF for calling a timeout only to take a knee and let the clock run out doesn't mean I am a hater. Just because we play SC instead of a healthy person that can actually run doesn't mean we are SC haters.

It is healthy to look at the team and see weaknesses and areas of improvement. Personally, I love CJF for a ton that he brings to the table in representing PSU and PSU football. he clearly has challenges in many areas. That doesn't mean that I love or hate the guy.

If someone has been a PSU fan for their entire life, and they are frustrated by the current state of affairs, are you suggesting they should just abandon their love of PSU instead of advocating for change? That's called apathy and it is the opposite of love.

I don't agree with the premise.

Way too often, people are pushed into being labeled "haters" or "lovers". Because I can critique CJF for calling a timeout only to take a knee and let the clock run out doesn't mean I am a hater. Just because we play SC instead of a healthy person that can actually run doesn't mean we are SC haters.

It is healthy to look at the team and see weaknesses and areas of improvement. Personally, I love CJF for a ton that he brings to the table in representing PSU and PSU football. he clearly has challenges in many areas. That doesn't mean that I love or hate the guy.

Obli, you're on this board more than enough to know the OP is spot on. Not sure what premise of his is even debatable. For far too many posters on a fan message board, their next pro-Penn State post will be their first. You also know the difference between valid criticism and burn it all down, we're destined to be mediocre forever. Virtually no one has a problem with the former. The latter is what drives good posters away.

Obli, you're on this board more than enough to know the OP is spot on. Not sure what premise of his is even debatable. For far too many posters on a fan message board, their next pro-Penn State post will be their first. You also know the difference between valid criticism and burn it all down, we're destined to be mediocre forever. Virtually no one has a problem with the former. The latter is what drives good posters away.
venting...it is emotional and immature but it has to happen
giphy.gif
200w.gif
giphy.gif
giphy.gif

venting...it is emotional and immature but it has to happen
giphy.gif
200w.gif
giphy.gif
giphy.gif
I see nothing wrong with a good vet here and there. Nor do I see anything wrong criticism. I think you know what I am talking about when I ask those that never had anything good to say, EVER! Speaking the negative side of everything. It gets old and drives people away from the message board. Nothing is EVER good enough for them. They hate Franklin, they hate Cliff, they hate franklin for playing cliff, they hate cliff for trying to tough it out, they hate everything about the team. Have a chance to play in a warm weather area in a brand new stadium and the first thing they do is the negative thing about clubs. I got news for you......nashville has clubs as well! New York City has clubs as well.

I have so many people on ignore I mostly think I am talking to myself.

Honestly, at least for me, I'm at a tipping point where it's maddening to watch the team piss away win after win. This year alone Iowa, Illinois, Michigan and MSU were very winnable games. Couple that with Franklin again crying to get another new contract then the team shitting the bed in several games right after.

I tried to at least be objective in my criticisms. Although I'll admit I at times I join the F@#$ everyone crowd out of frustration.

I've come to the realization that the team is what it is. 7-5. And might remain close to that for the foreseeable future. I'm now at the point where I just don't care. I won't go out of the way to watch anymore. And if a better game is on, I'll probably watch it mostly.

I became a fan of PSU in the 90s when I really got into football. And always rooted for the team, even through the Dark Years, the Sandusky BS, etc.

I like watching good football. I would like turning on the PSU game to watch good football. I hope the team gets better, I'm just not sure it will happen anytime soon.

Exactly. Eventually you have to ask yourself if watching PSU is an enjoyable and entertaining way to spend your Fall Saturdays. The prospect of another year with Franklin and Clifford? No thanks.

I’ll watch (and gamble) on better games as PSU craps their way to another 7-5 season next year. No use even getting worked up about it. The program has committed to mediocrity for the near future, and that’s just how it is.

What was your guess on the team record at the beginning of the year?

Exactly. Eventually you have to ask yourself if watching PSU is an enjoyable and entertaining way to spend your Fall Saturdays. The prospect of another year with Franklin and Clifford? No thanks.

I’ll watch (and gamble) on better games as PSU craps their way to another 7-5 season next year. No use even getting worked up about it. The program has committed to mediocrity for the near future, and that’s just how it is.
What was your guess of the record this year?

I see nothing wrong with a good vet here and there. Nor do I see anything wrong criticism. I think you know what I am talking about when I ask those that never had anything good to say, EVER! Speaking the negative side of everything. It gets old and drives people away from the message board. Nothing is EVER good enough for them. They hate Franklin, they hate Cliff, they hate franklin for playing cliff, they hate cliff for trying to tough it out, they hate everything about the team. Have a chance to play in a warm weather area in a brand new stadium and the first thing they do is the negative thing about clubs. I got news for you......nashville has clubs as well! New York City has clubs as well.

I have so many people on ignore I mostly think I am talking to myself.
Do you troll yourself?

A few are over the top with their garbage. And a few are over the top with criticizing the criticisms. Scroll through, ignore, and avoid game day threads at all costs. Or even the morning after!

Reactions: Lion84

For me, it's always been in the blood. My Dad went there and was a fervent fan who on occasion -- we lived in NEPA hours away from the university -- took me and my brother to games. Wonderful experience.

What I've seen happen on this board, both now and in the past, is some fans identifying the team with the coach. So they don't like Franklin, and their dislike seemingly bleeds over into their attitude about the team itself. I mean, one Franklin-hater was actually rooting for the team to lose recently.

Back in the day, a large number of fans did something similar with the great Paterno, identifying him with the school and the team...unable or unwilling to draw the distinction. I never bought into that with Joe...and if I didn't with Joe, I'm certainly not gonna buy into it with Franklin.

The point being, I root for the team. Not for (or against) the coach. That's why nobody will ever hear me say this or any other bowl game isn't important...or not worth the time. I'll be tuned in as usual no matter the bowl this year. Hell, Las Vegas against UCLA, if it happens, sounds like a great match-up.

That's also why I find it OK to criticize or question the coach -- even Joe. Because if your first priority is the team, then you naturally want what's best for the team...and if you feel like the coach is not delivering that, then you will naturally raise concerns.

For me, it's always been in the blood. My Dad went there and was a fervent fan who on occasion -- we lived in NEPA hours away from the university -- took me and my brother to games. Wonderful experience.

What I've seen happen on this board, both now and in the past, is some fans identifying the team with the coach. So they don't like Franklin, and their dislike seemingly bleeds over into their attitude about the team itself. I mean, one Franklin-hater was actually rooting for the team to lose recently.

Back in the day, a large number of fans did something similar with the great Paterno, identifying him with the school and the team...unable or unwilling to draw the distinction. I never bought into that with Joe...and if I didn't with Joe, I'm certainly not gonna buy into it with Franklin.

The point being, I root for the team. Not for (or against) the coach. That's why nobody will ever hear me say this or any other bowl game isn't important...or not worth the time. I'll be tuned in as usual no matter the bowl this year. Hell, Las Vegas against UCLA, if it happens, sounds like a great match-up.

That's also why I find it OK to criticize or question the coach -- even Joe. Because if your first priority is the team, then you naturally want what's best for the team...and if you feel like the coach is not delivering that, then you will naturally raise concerns.
Awesome.

every game is an event at our house. And I mean every game. Food, drinks, family, and fun. If it is an 11:00 we record it and stay off our phones so we all watch it fresh together. That way we don’t have to start pounding beers at 9:00 am. When they played in the cotton bowl a few years ago it was a family event. That day was so rainy but we bundled under the tent and got after it. Had a blast that the kids still talk about this day.

You have pretenders here with PSU or a reference to same in their user names. Who have nothing to do with Penn State.

What was your guess on the team record at the beginning of the year?
Talking preseason, not looking back... I thought 10-2 maybe 9-3 was very likely. Win 2 out of 3 vs Michigan, Iowa and Wisconsin would have been good. An OSU loss was likely. A loss to Auburn wouldn't have surprised or disappointed me too much either.

Many people simply do not think Franklin is the man for the job.

Once you reach that conclusion, it is reasonable to root for a pure disaster because then even the Franklin fanboys will have to concede.

I have not reached that point, but if I do, I'll root for whatever it takes to replace him as long as it doesn't cause long term damage to the program.

It is simply good logic.

Miserable people
Over-reactors
Drama queens
Some that overstate the importance of football outcomes in their lives
Etc.

Reactions: BlueLion

I'm going to try to keep track of all those who promise not to watch Penn State games henceforth. Can any others please respond so that we know who won't be commenting next year?

Reactions: Fac and step.eng69

Seeing as how Franklin just signed a 10 year contract, this should be your last post, at least for 10 years, right? Let's see if you're a man of your word or if you take some perverse pleasure in trying to make others as miserable as you clearly appear to be and keep posting.

I'm going to try to keep track of all those who promise not to watch Penn State games henceforth. Can any others please respond so that we know who won't be commenting next year?
97 is a whiner just like Wallace.

That’s the definition of bandwagon fan. You and the Engineer would be happier if you stopped torturing yourself be watching mediocrity. Also no point in posting the same drivel over and over. Post on the boards of teams that you find enjoyable

Many people simply do not think Franklin is the man for the job.

Once you reach that conclusion, it is reasonable to root for a pure disaster because then even the Franklin fanboys will have to concede.

I have not reached that point, but if I do, I'll root for whatever it takes to replace him as long as it doesn't cause long term damage to the program.

It is simply good logic.
I knew Franklin was not the man for the job back in 2014. He took a championship caliber team (O'Brien's staff thought they had a shot at running the table until Erickson and Joyner forced O'Brien's hand and he left in frustration) and ran it into the ground and has done nothing to mitigate my concerns over his style, judgement and philosophy. He is good enough to get us to 8 to 10 wins most year but not good enough to get over the hump without outside factors pushing over like in 2016 when we were the third best team in the East.

With a ridiculous second extension (more ridiculous than the previous one as he is essentially untouchable for five years or more), expect even more critical commentary on his performance. Every single move will be criticized, both good and bad and every mistake will be magnified, and rightfully so. I'll still watch every game and root for us to win regardless of circumstances. I'll still travel to a road game or two a year while boycotting home games unless I can pick up a ticket from a third party as I will not support our athletic department financially due to the continued mismanagement under Sandy.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: RaymondReddington

I think back to those times going to games with my great grandma and she would have on her Geno Capaletta jersey and we would sing Motown and 80s punk rock on the way to games as the leaves turned to hawt colours.

Hallelujah!

I’ve rooted for PSU since my first game in 1967. I want the best for them and always have. I’m invested financially and emotionally and have since I graduated. I was critical of JoePa, too. Heck I sat in the bloody Superdome and watched them go four and out from the one vs. Bama.

Many are tired of seeing the “same old same old” and hearing the same explanations while paying more and more over the last 3 yrs. How does that work? I’d love to be rewarded for mediocrity like so many are.

It comes with the territory. Like it or not, CFB is pretty simple. Just win Jimmy Franks, just win!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT