ADVERTISEMENT

Who is the older woman that usually sits on the PSU bench?

sevensandeights

Jan 21, 2017
Older grandma looking lady. Today she was sitting next to Bo Nickal.

I'm trying win a bet against my wife . . .

I think she is the teams sport psychologist or nutritionists can't remember I believe she does both, maybe Iowa should look into the psychologist thing.

Last edited:
What do i win, wait let me guess 2 tickets to Nationals. What do you mean if i dont work in the AD's office I don't qualify. Dang

Last edited:
FLAG....... whatever happened to Dave Yukelson? I remember Pat Cummins speaking very highly of Yukelson.

My wife was conviced it was Cael'ls grandmother. I had no idea who it was but certainly didn't think it was Cael'ls grandmother!!!

Only thing on the line was bragging rights.

So - is she the sports psychologist? If so, is it "normal" that such at person would travel with the team to dual meets? Seems odd to me but it's kind of hard to argue with Cael's methods!

Dear Lord. Cael is 40 years old. That would make his grandmother 80 years old, minimum. The woman sitting on the bench didn't look anywhere close to 80.

And, if she has anything to do with keeping this team as loose as it is, I hope she does her job until she's 80.

I recall a post nationals interview w Cael a few years ago. He was distracted as he made sure she came up on the mat w the team for the victory photo. The interviewer asked him about the “academic counselor” he was worried about, and he said something like “she is a counselor but not an academic counselor and very important to our success”. So I am guessing sports psychologist or similar.

I know Cael can’t coach, but I am absolutely convinced that the mental makeup (and therefore mental toughness) of the team is a reflection of the collective attitude of the coaches.

Well - maybe we are talking about two different people. The woman I am talking about is definitely older. 60 at minimum and possibly 80. My wife did think it was Cael's mother at first but we found a picture of her and she looked much younger than the woman on the bench so she changed her mind to Grandmother.

There is a perfect screen shot of the woman I'm referring to at the 1 hour, 19 minute, 52 second mark of the Flo archive of the Indiana match.

Well - maybe we are talking about two different people. The woman I am talking about is definitely older. 60 at minimum and possibly 80. My wife did think it was Cael's mother at first but we found a picture of her and she looked much younger than the woman on the bench so she changed her mind to Grandmother.

There is a perfect screen shot of the woman I'm referring to at the 1 hour, 19 minute, 52 second mark of the Flo archive of the Indiana match.
This woman?

That's Bonnie, 100% positive.

Reactions: nerfstate
I remember when Alton was struggling, her name was mentioned. Cael stated it wasn't as much physical as mental. The team also uses a nutritionist. This is the person Cenzo hates. Not Boonie. My apologies Bonnie

Reactions: danoftw
Thanks for the confirmation Roar. I just read the PSU vs Indiana thread and saw that someone else asked the same question.

She does the injury reports for PSU wrestling because she's the only one who knows Morris code.:rolleyes:

If she does those publicly detailed injury reports that means she also keeps the Enigma machine in working order and as a second language is a Navajo code talker.

Whatever her responsibilities, she is pretty damn good at it. Cael is a genius at building his staff and giving credit where credit is due.

This thread needed deleted--your giving away the best kept secret in College wrestling--she was one of the first staff hired when Cael took over.

Does Iowa have someone sit on their bench and serve in a similar capacity for their wrestlers and coaches :D

Reactions: 7brwnpsu
Does Iowa have someone sit on their bench and serve in a similar capacity for their wrestlers and coaches :D
Judging by the activities associated with the Iowa bench area, I'm not certain the University would even allow a woman on the bench.

I found a photo of Ms. Epstein from Back in the day:

1b775e63313412c95e3a47b870f1fb4c.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT