ADVERTISEMENT

Who’s Next?

SpladleTown

Sep 6, 2018
In the last 7-8 years or so it seems as though we have a transcendent guy emerge as a Freshman or Sophomore that eventually ends up winning 3 National titles that we didn’t see as lock to do so. Who’s next on the roster now? Is it Nick Lee? Teasdale? RBY? Teske? Berge? Nolf and Cenzo kind of were surprises, in my opinion. Looking at their HS resumes, they didn’t show up in State College as locks for the kind of success they’ve experienced. So who’s next?

In the last 7-8 years or so it seems as though we have a transcendent guy emerge as a Freshman or Sophomore that eventually ends up winning 3 National titles that we didn’t see as lock to do so. Who’s next on the roster now? Is it Nick Lee? Teasdale? RBY? Teske? Berge? Nolf and Cenzo kind of were surprises, in my opinion. Looking at their HS resumes, they didn’t show up in State College as locks for the kind of success they’ve experienced. So who’s next?

It depends on which weight class the finals starts at 3 seasons from now.

55912470_6afbc4eaf3.jpg

Nolf was no surprise. He showed many signs of transcendent ability. Three time PA state champion with only one loss in high school. Only one loss his redshirt year to James Green.

Jason Nolf not being a lock for this type of success -- true only in the sense that 3x champs don't grow on trees. If he wasn't, then absolutely nobody is ever.

Forget that his JR/SR years were as dominant as I've ever seen -- his willpower and drive were insane. Compare his SO state semis loss to Diehl vs. his Disney Duals blowout win over Diehl that summer -- solid wrestler became an assassin in just a few months. That doesn't just happen, let alone that quickly.

I think Berge will wrestle on Sat night this coming Spring. I have no evidence to back up my belief- just a feeling. He wrestles well out of control ties,good gas tank,bright young man,well coached,studs around him for partners,no weight of the world team point expectations on him,looks enough like Zain in that singlet to illicit an automatic fear response in opponents, and he didn't come to PSU hoping to be just a solid wrestler. All of these reasons plus the fact that 149 is full of quality guys, but no "super stud" like most of the other weights.

I think Berge will wrestle on Sat night this coming Spring. I have no evidence to back up my belief- just a feeling. He wrestles well out of control ties,good gas tank,bright young man,well coached,studs around him for partners,no weight of the world team point expectations on him,looks enough like Zain in that singlet to illicit an automatic fear response in opponents, and he didn't come to PSU hoping to be just a solid wrestler. All of these reasons plus the fact that 149 is full of quality guys, but no "super stud" like most of the other weights.

I have a lot of cautious optimism for the new guys entering the lineup this year like Berge and even Verk if he gets in. Those guys can be studs, it's just that I want to see them wrestle in the lineup first. I'm really excited about the young guys entering the lineup the light/low mid weights this year.

Perhaps Beard, Joe Lee, and Busiello should be added to this list. The future's so bright, I gotta wear shades. :)

James,
You and I are thinking the same thing. Not sure what that means, but Berge in the finals is not going to surprise me either.
Penn State heavyweight wrestling in the finals isn't going to shock me either.

Berge is totally under everyone's radar except us homeys. He is my vote for the next transcendent new kid on the block. I think by year's end he is a lock for top 4 IMO, and will suprise or dismay the rest looking in wondering how Cael does it.

Looking further into the future Brooks is the obvious choice - he is becoming just plain scary.

As for some of the 'nearly new' guys on the squad, there is still room for some shock and awe of the wrestling world, with another year of development under their belts.

I would have loved for Nick Lee to have used a redshirt this year to bulk up a little and mature as he is next on my list for a jump to the top tier.

After seeing the last picture of Cassar, if he retains even a modicum of his neutral game, athleticism and speed at 240lbs, I think he will give NN all he can handle in wrestleoffs and either of the two will also be a lock for top 4.

Then there is Shack. Aside from potentially dealing with Zahid on his side of the bracket (if he goes 184), I see Shack as top 4 next year.

Losing someone like Zain is a huge blow to most teams, but I have maintained all along that between the new points @ 125, 133, & 149 and the rest of the team delivering a more typical bonus, we will score more team points than last year.

Berge is totally under everyone's radar except us homeys. He is my vote for the next transcendent new kid on the block. I think by year's end he is a lock for top 4 IMO, and will suprise or dismay the rest looking in wondering how Cael does it.

Looking further into the future Brooks is the obvious choice - he is becoming just plain scary.

As for some of the 'nearly new' guys on the squad, there is still room for some shock and awe of the wrestling world, with another year of development under their belts.

I would have loved for Nick Lee to have used a redshirt this year to bulk up a little and mature as he is next on my list for a jump to the top tier.

After seeing the last picture of Cassar, if he retains even a modicum of his neutral game, athleticism and speed at 240lbs, I think he will give NN all he can handle in wrestleoffs and either of the two will also be a lock for top 4.

Then there is Shack. Aside from potentially dealing with Zahid on his side of the bracket (if he goes 184), I see Shack as top 4 next year.

Losing someone like Zain is a huge blow to most teams, but I have maintained all along that between the new points @ 125, 133, & 149 and the rest of the team delivering a more typical bonus, we will score more team points than last year.

Is Berge under the radar if he’s everyone’s pick to AA this year? It’s all I’ve been hearing all summer honestly

Is Berge under the radar if he’s everyone’s pick to AA this year? It’s all I’ve been hearing all summer honestly

Granted all AAs are studs a lot are saying he's a R12 or low Aa ~8 guy. To me top 4 is really elite and a whole other level, and more of the focus of a claim to be the next big thing - that is transcendent.

Last edited:
Berge-Brooks. They are the next “elite pair” following Taylor-Ruth, Retherford-Nolf, and Joseph-Hall.

This outsider looking in has noticed they come in waves more than pairs. RBY is going to be a hammer just like Nick Lee imo. It does not appear the waves are receding when you look at the young talent moving forward. Which guy (s) on this list would you be shocked to see wrestling on a Saturday night in March sometime in the next 3-5 years?
Nick Lee, Gavin Teasdale,RBY,Berge,Joe Lee,Verk,Snacks,Beard,Brooks,Busiello,Teske? I think even the most pessimistic fan (cue Lemon Pie) would have a hard time narrowing that list to a number you can count on one hand.

They seem to come in pairs but it was Nolf-Nickal. Zain was so good he counts double all by himself.
Two other pairs suppressed (mostly) by injury were Nico/McIntosh and Alton/Alton.

It's unbelievable how well Cael can see whom to recruit!

This outsider looking in has noticed they come in waves more than pairs. RBY is going to be a hammer just like Nick Lee imo. It does not appear the waves are receding when you look at the young talent moving forward. Which guy (s) on this list would you be shocked to see wrestling on a Saturday night in March sometime in the next 3-5 years?
Nick Lee, Gavin Teasdale,RBY,Berge,Joe Lee,Verk,Snacks,Beard,Brooks,Busiello,Teske? I think even the most pessimistic fan (cue Lemon Pie) would have a hard time narrowing that list to a number you can count on one hand.
There are a whole bunch in the room now or coming in a year or so who will be Saturday night stars. The next up though - Berge and heavyweight.

Nolf was no surprise. He showed many signs of transcendent ability. Three time PA state champion with only one loss in high school. Only one loss his redshirt year to James Green.
I remember that before Nolf set foot on campus, many on this list were saying he had more promise than Chance Marstellar, who was merely one of the greatest high school talents ever.

the future is extremely bright!

I remember that before Nolf set foot on campus, many on this list were saying he had more promise than Chance Marstellar, who was merely one of the greatest high school talents ever.

Nolf jumped a level his senior year and went from really good to elite. You could just tell he was going to make the transition to college without a problem. Similar to Ed Ruth, although Ed's jump was more pronounced as he went from a non state winner to knocking off all the top guys in the country.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dogwelder
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT