Votes: 30 14.9%
  • Manning

Votes: 95 47.0%
  • Ryan

Votes: 93 46.0%
  • I missed one

Votes: 7 3.5%

• Total voters
Since most of the people in charge are Ivy educated adults who "look at the big picture" are the ones that have given us a $35T acknowledged debt and have us on the verge of World War III, I think the presumption of their perspicacity is overstated.
Well said on the poor decisions that have been made by the " intellect " running our country. I would love to say a business man would be better to to manage the country but his record isn't good on the bottom line either.
Enough politics
I saw Coleman Scott was just named interim head coach at Oklahoma State

Last edited:
Oh, no doubt there's a risk of this going sideways if the team culture is bad.

But that doesn't appear to be an issue there. They all share a common lack of judgment in choosing THE Ohio State University, but otherwise appear to be a group of fine upstanding young men.

Agreed that indifference is probably the most likely response.

OTOH look what happened at Iowa -- Brands portaled in Fredo, with AJ obviously not far behind, and former Blair teammate Chittum left the very next day. That is exactly why you build a two-way culture of trust.
No doubt, and you 100% need to vet those kinds of transfers with the kids in the room. The kinds with known potential to bring an A Bomb to your team.

I have just never been on a team, as a coach, player, etc, where everyone likes one another (theoretically good culture), and then the team will happily sign off on someone to take one of their own’s spots. I can’t even envision it. Best I’d see, like you said, indifference (“You make the call coach”), and then you wonder why you solicit opinions at all. Other than to say you present it to your team.

just listened to cryin Ryan.... don't think it was a good look. Aside from trying to preach that he is open with his team, he simply alludes to others that are poaching or reaching out early or paying a lot. He had a chance if he thought PSU wasn't doing this but he didn't. Instead he would have allowed a new listener to think that PSU is out there buying up a storm. Pyles did much bertter than I thought he would.

I think that's great.

He's establishing a culture of trust. The guys all know he's bringing in talent -- but he's not doing it behind their backs.

Also, the wrestlers all know each other. They may be able to tell Ryan if a guy is bad news -- and he'd be dumb to not listen. Ryan still has final say, but the team has input.
b3f66d03-e906-4aa9-921d-ea1ee5b53f3e_text.gif

One thing that stands out in this interview is that Tom keeps going back to that his student-athletes are always kept in the know one who he and his staff are pursuing in the portal. I don't know that is best practice to be honest. What if his team says, "no". Or feel pressured to approve?

Unfortunately, Tom comes across as a guy coaching in 1994 and not 2024.

The implication is that he is the only one open with his athletes.

By constantly claiming the moral high ground, Ryan, in effect, throws shade on everyone else.

It's not easy to do, but Tom made Pyles look smart.

The implication is that he is the only one open with his athletes.

By constantly claiming the moral high ground, Ryan, in effect, throws shade on everyone else.

It's not easy to do, but Tom made Pyles look smart.
I would think Cael and company are transparent to let a kid know of pending weight decisions and transfer thoughts for an upcoming campaign season. I'm strickly making my assumption on the person Cael seems to be.
I wouldn't say the same thing about our football coach

Reactions: ikS and jack66
And Tom surges into the lead with but one interview.

He needs to take a course in logic, as he twisted himself into a knot in that one. I still have respect for the man and the wrestler he was, and how he has dealt with personal tragedy, but as a leader, sheesh, he possesses some pretty weak attributes.

My credit to Pyles for holding him to the fire. So Tom....

1). Your best team ever had transfers on it before transfers were even a thing for these other schools.
2). You now have the best faculty in the world for collegiate wrestling, that boosters helped to fund, and you are struggling to land the big fish transfers
3). Ohio State leads the Nation in booster and NIL funding across all athletics
4) You went after the very same guys you are bitching about the other programs landing
5). Your latest, 'greatest recruiting class in history' was landed, according to rumors, largely because of NIL amounts other teams could not counter.
6). You just lost at nationals by more than 100 points, and wait for it, your kids are under the very same scoring system that you want to apply an 'asterisk' to PSUs achievement.
7) You admit to being an insecure little baby, getting spun up on the beach in Aruba, texting about this bull shit while licking your wounds and drinking your mai tai.

Then when caught with your pants down on all of these things you then immediately try to turn the conversation to a new topic about poaching and tampering. Should we just add that to the laundry list of total bull crap you are foisting upon the most ethical coach collegiate wrestling has seen in the past 50 years IMO?

Sorry, but he comes across as a whining jackass as far as I am concerned. Any kid would be an idiot to want to be led by that insecure excuse spinner.

What a contrast in humility, gratitude and greatness we see, everytime Cael steps up to a microphone.

He needs to take a course in logic, as he twisted himself into a knot in that one. I still have respect for the man and the wrestler he was, and how he has dealt with personal tragedy, but as a leader, sheesh, he possesses some pretty weak attributes.

1). Your best team ever had transfers on it before transfers were even a thing for these other schools.
2). You now have the best faculty in the world for collegiate wrestling, that boosters helped to fund, and you are struggling to land the big fish transfers
4) You went after the very same guys you are bitching about the other programs landing
5). Your latest, 'greatest recruiting class in history' was landed, according to rumors, largely because of NIL amounts other teams could not counter.
6). You just lost at nationals by more than 100 points, and wait for it, your kids are under the very same scoring system that you want to apply an 'asterisk' to PSUs achievement.
7) You admit to being an insecure little baby, getting spun up on the beach in Aruba, texting about this bull shit while licking your wounds and drinking your mai tai.

Then when caught with your pants down on all of these things you then immediately try to turn the conversation to a new topic about poaching and tampering. Should we just add that to the laundry list of total bull crap you are foisting upon the most ethical coach collegiate wrestling has seen in the past 50 years IMO?

Sorry, but he comes across as a whining jackass as far as I am concerned. Any kid would be an idiot to want to be led by that insecure excuse spinner.

What a contrast in humility, gratitude and greatness we see, everytime Cael steps up to a microphone.
And as we have seen he has pulled into the lead?

I would think Cael and company are transparent to let a kid know of pending weight decisions and transfer thoughts for an upcoming campaign season. I'm strickly making my assumption on the person Cael seems to be.

Mitchell said he talked to Levi and Alex during his official visit. That doesn't happen if Cael isn't being transparent.

big difference being up front when 'looking' vs kids contacting you.

just listened to cryin Ryan.... don't think it was a good look. Aside from trying to preach that he is open with his team, he simply alludes to others that are poaching or reaching out early or paying a lot. He had a chance if he thought PSU wasn't doing this but he didn't. Instead he would have allowed a new listener to think that PSU is out there buying up a storm. Pyles did much bertter than I thought he would.
He’s complaining about presently legal areas that, even he admits, are gray areas.
Mitchell said he talked to Levi and Alex during his official visit. That doesn't happen if Cael isn't being transparent.
Correct. But I bet it was an introduction rather than a consultation for team “fit”.

Reactions: jack66

Te'shan Campbell announced he was transferring to OSU just two days after the NCAAs. That was no less suspicious than the 'others' he is alluding to.

I guess Ryan has never heard the idiom about people who live in glass houses.

Like how you pointed out Pyles held Tom's feet to the fire. That's why I thought his job was impressive and we would like to see more of this with the wrestling media. Hell...all media to get honest. It's like people are afraid to ask the tough questions.

Like how you pointed out Pyles held Tom's feet to the fire. That's why I thought his job was impressive and we would like to see more of this with the wrestling media. Hell...all media to get honest. It's like people are afraid to ask the tough questions.
In a perfect world, yes. But, things have changed. 30 years ago, you could hold people's feet to the fire, because the only way for them to communicate with the masses was through your newspaper, newscast, etc. Now, entities and individuals don't need to engage at all. they can control the narrative completely on social media. Real journalists don't have much leverage anymore.

Here is a great thread and read on a tOSU forum about the whole Tom Ryan/transfer/NIL thing with Pyles. Not all think TR is lily white here.

Best post on the thread:

Discussion Topic: Tom Ryan Flo interview.
Bruce Andrews added to this discussion on April 16, 2024

Is this back and forth between Coach Ryan and Christian Pyles, I think that Ryan threw the brick too early.

Wonder how he felt when Snyder was his guy.

And that’s the rub, right? Ryan probably isn’t wrong here (although it’s not like those guys that get a bye to semis or finals didn’t earn that distinction), but I don’t recall him complaining when Snyder had the same benefit.

The fact is that Ryan, Brands, Manning, etc are obsessed with any perceived advantage that PSU earns, and they take any opportunity to be personally offended by it.

I don't like the tan guy as much as anyone, but I agree with the weigh-in suggestion and would take it even further. I'd put the scale next to the scoring table so that both wrestlers are actually the same size. It shouldn't be about who can recover from a big cut. If you can't wrestle at the weight than you should move up.

I had this conversation with many people and every single argument against this has an easy solution.

This is of course, JMO.

I don't like the tan guy as much as anyone, but I agree with the weigh-in suggestion and would take it even further. I'd put the scale next to the scoring table so that both wrestlers are actually the same size. It shouldn't be about who can recover from a big cut. If you can't wrestle at the weight than you should move up.

I had this conversation with many people and every single argument against this has an easy solution.

This is of course, JMO.
I like it.

I also think that our weigh-in procedure should mimic UWW's as closely as possible. That's part of training for the biggest event.

Reactions: goldenanimal
Can someone tell Tom he is part of the US wrestling hiarchy, so change the freaking rule.

Of course I a not sure I follow his logic process. Somehow in his mind we should assign NCAA tournament team points based upon a non associated dual tournament, yet we should not give consideration for previous performances in related tournaments.

I actually agree that everybody competing for an Olympic spot should start from even ground. It is just Ryan is so often manipulative and full of shyt even when I agree with one of his rants my instinct is to disagree.

rule #1 in professional sports (btw - these guys aren't amateurs) - don't engage the fans. Gotta be above it. JB would be held in higher esteem if he would have ignored all of this. Manning, regardless of intent, comes across - by actions - as a whiner

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT