Votes: 30 14.9%
  • Manning

Votes: 95 47.0%
  • Ryan

Votes: 93 46.0%
  • I missed one

Votes: 7 3.5%

• Total voters
I agree with what he is saying. These teams that bring home a trophy because they went out and bought a team are not the same as the teams when you had to basically recruit your whole team. You had to evaluate talent and then get them to come to your school and then develop them. Now, teams - like Michigan last year, just go out and buy kids that prove themself a year earlier.

That isn't nearly as tough to do or a reflection on the ability of a guy to coach or build a team. Say what you want but between the portal and NIL, the scores these days are inflated for a lot of teams.

Schools like Cornell, Virginia Tech, Arizona State, NC State (the only teams that I can think of that did not have any portal guys scoring points for them). represent the good teams of pre NIL days.
Didn’t Tony Negron score points for ASU?

I agree with what he is saying. These teams that bring home a trophy because they went out and bought a team are not the same as the teams when you had to basically recruit your whole team. You had to evaluate talent and then get them to come to your school and then develop them. Now, teams - like Michigan last year, just go out and buy kids that prove themself a year earlier.

That isn't nearly as tough to do or a reflection on the ability of a guy to coach or build a team. Say what you want but between the portal and NIL, the scores these days are inflated for a lot of teams.

Schools like Cornell, Virginia Tech, Arizona State, NC State (the only teams that I can think of that did not have any portal guys scoring points for them). represent the good teams of pre NIL days.
He's so full of crap, his eyes are brown.

Does anyone believe Ryan has been a passive victim here?

Or would he, for example, have been all over Davison if Feldman were out for the year?

Wasn't Ryan one of the coaches screaming at the refs for a challenge during Mesenbrinks destruction of Caliendo at Bigs this year? Wasn't that bizarre? Mesenbrink was like 14 points ahead on his way to a tech fall and a bunch of coaches were arguing against a totally meaningless takedown in the third period, or what exactly was that all about? I don't think Brands even challenged it but a bunch of coaches not even involved in it were yelling at the ref? Just wow, talk about hatred envy and whining all rolled into one.

When Tom Ryan arrived at Iowa as a freshman wrestler, was Iowa still over the 9.9 scholarship limit?

When Tom Ryan arrived at Iowa as a freshman wrestler, was Iowa still over the 9.9 scholarship limit?
At Iowa for 1991 and 1992 NCAAs only. I understand the joke, but he's from Long Island and spent his first two years at Syracuse. He trasferred to Iowa as a junior. He is reported to have said he was willing to walk on.

(Edited to make accurate)

Last edited:
Imagine being Tom Ryan and having one of the 10 best college wrestling teams of all time, in 2018. Not just the best runner up but truly one of the greatest teams ever, in 2018....and you lose the dual meet to Penn State and then lose the national championship Even though you score over 135 points. Talk about a bitter guy.
To my recollection, PSU had no transfers that year. What was his excuse then?

Amazing to me that a coach who finished 8th and was 110 points behind the 1st place team even has the time to be posting on twitter. He should be concentrating on how to improve his team. The ultimate whining twitter post.

Here’s the thing:

If he’s also chasing transfers, he’s a hypocrite.

If he’s not, he’s a terrible coach.
Exactly. You do everything legally possible to field the best team. I'm old school and believe in the recruiting process and cheering guys on for 5 years, but there is nothing wrong with adding guys through alternative methods.

Didn’t Tony Negron score points for ASU?

comedy-00.gif

• Sad
Reactions: Cali_Nittany
To my recollection, PSU had no transfers that year. What was his excuse then?

Amazing to me that a coach who finished 8th and was 110 points behind the 1st place team even has the time to be posting on twitter. He should be concentrating on how to improve his team. The ultimate whining twitter post.
I’d have to look back to make sure, but off the top of my head I know we had Kuhn at 125 and what I’m not 100 percent on is if we had Keener that year too or not…but yes, we had transfers that year in the lineup for sure.

Our lineup vs OSU in the dual was this I’m pretty sure -

Kuhn (transfer)
Keener (transfer)
Lee
Zain
Pipher?
Cenzo
Marky
Bo
Cassar
Nevills

Reactions: creamery freak
At Iowa for 1991 and 1992 NCAAs only. I understand the joke, but he's from Long Island and spent his first two years at Syracuse. I believe he walked on at Iowa as a junior.
Ryan was a transfer -- and bailed on Syracuse 10 years before the school cut the program.

Reactions: gymdad
What was Ryan's quote the year of the match of the century, Penn State has a great team but we have a great program?

Something like that.

Reactions: Eyecatcher
I’d have to look back to make sure, but off the top of my head I know we had Kuhn at 125 and what I’m not 100 percent on is if we had Keener that year too or not…but yes, we had transfers that year in the lineup for sure.

Our lineup vs OSU in the dual was this I’m pretty sure -

Kuhn (transfer)
Keener (transfer)
Lee
Zain
Pipher?
Cenzo
Marky
Bo
Cassar
Nevills
Keener scored 0.5 points. Kuhn didn't qualify for nationals.

Last edited:
Imagine being Tom Ryan and having one of the 10 best college wrestling teams of all time, in 2018. Not just the best runner up but truly one of the greatest teams ever, in 2018....and you lose the dual meet to Penn State and then lose the national championship Even though you score over 135 points. Talk about a bitter guy.
An lost the nationals on a move Bo's been doing since grade school.

It’s funny, I’ve seen very little if any chest pounding from PSU over the points record, yet Ryan is spending his time on Twitter 2 weeks later crying about it. It’s good to be the king!
And that's the other thing which makes this so funny: Ryan bitching about the points record.

Take away our transfers, we lose 58.5 pts. (Of course we recover some of that with Bearclaw, and Snacks doesn't transfer, etc. Whatever.) We still beat Cornell by 40+ pts.

So we're the champs regardless, and Ryan is wasting oxygen on how ridiculous the margin of victory was.

Kenny Courts is still right:
Who tweets too much on your team – Tom Ryan

And that's the other thing which makes this so funny: Ryan bitching about the points record.

Take away our transfers, we lose 58.5 pts. (Of course we recover some of that with Bearclaw, and Snacks doesn't transfer, etc. Whatever.) We still beat Cornell by 40+ pts.

So we're the champs regardless, and Ryan is wasting oxygen on how ridiculous the margin of victory was.

Kenny Courts is still right:
Who tweets too much on your team – Tom Ryan
He’s one of Gable’s boys ( a transfer from Syracuse no less - wonder if he got that sweet, bogus in-state scholarship equivalence), so he’s defending Gable’s turf. Expect him to be getting real salty if Cael passes Gable with 16 titles.

There’s a paradox embedded into his complaining (and your post): if it’s easy to podium by buying kids, and (by taking less time in evaluation) more efficient, then it’s not Michigan’s problem that other schools take a more difficult way. For what? To say “I win with my kids”?

By the way, Va Tech wrestling put out a post on social media touting that none of their points were from transfers this year at nationals. All home grown. But they’re taking the 174 from Columbia next year and took several in the past. Was this just a 1 year Sabbatical of Nobility?
I guess in my mind there I have a lot more respect for guys who recruit, stay loyal to, and develop the kids. That is the gist of what I was trying to say. I know Virginia Tech and ASU have gotten some kids from the portal and it diminishes the team's accomplishments in my mind.

I also know it is the way things are and I am just getting old and crabby. "NOW GET OFF MY LAWN!"" :)

He’s one of Gable’s boys ( a transfer from Syracuse no less - wonder if he got that sweet, bogus in-state scholarship equivalence), so he’s defending Gable’s turf. Expect him to be getting real salty if Cael passes Gable with 16 titles.
The other funny thing is that when his name is mentioned on the Iowa board, they don't want him back.

He's so full of crap, his eyes are brown.

Does anyone believe Ryan has been a passive victim here?

Or would he, for example, have been all over Davison if Feldman were out for the year?
I am trying to give my views on the portal and NIL and how it is simply a case of the rich getting richer and the poor getting poorer. I am just saying that setting records or getting trophies for many schools is not an indication of how good the coach is.

Michigan is a perfect example. Let someone else do all the hard work and quality work and then I will swoop in and take the glory: Look at my team trophy. Okie state seems to be trying to follow that model also.

My opinion of Cael as a coach and athlete is still of the highest regard. While I think the portal and NIL is hurting and may eventually destroy wrestling, I think Cael is elevating the sport and may help save it. Sure he has a few portal kids, but they are a small fraction of his team points.

We like to live in a world where we thing some things are pure and noble. College wrestling used to be that way to an extent. Now with the portal, kids are leaving for money (greed). Loyalty seems to be non existent. The weak and poor schools are getting every shining light and bit of success taken away from them by the rich and powerful.

It is kind of sad to me.

Last edited:
We like to live in a world where we thing some things are pure and noble. College wrestling used to be that way to an extent. Now with the portal, kids are leaving for money (greed). Loyalty seems to be non existent. The weak and poor schools are getting every shining light and bit of success taken away from them by the rich and powerful.
We were just talking about Tom Ryan leaving Syracuse for Iowa in the early 1990s, and **now** there's no loyalty and the weak schools are getting ruined by the rich and powerful?

Also all those guys who left VT for Iowa when Brands left.

The portal caused none of these things. It's just a convenient scapegoat.

It is kind of sad to me.
Kids have learned loyalty from their coaches, who often jump ship for a more lucrative offer after just promising the recruit they'd be there for them throughout their career. I'm thinking football but that applies to all sports. The universities, alumni, and coaches created the blueprint for how collegiate sports will be destroyed now that athletes are doing the same things. You reap what you sow. It is also only a matter of time before an athlete somewhere point shaves as a "thank you" for all that money.

Kids have learned loyalty from their coaches, who often jump ship for a more lucrative offer after just promising the recruit they'd be there for them throughout their career. I'm thinking football but that applies to all sports. The universities, alumni, and coaches created the blueprint for how collegiate sports will be destroyed now that athletes are doing the same things. You reap what you sow. It is also only a matter of time before an athlete somewhere point shaves as a "thank you" for all that money.
Re: point shaving. So easy to do if you don’t overdo it - on the player and bettor side (Pigs get fat; hogs get slaughtered). Same as insider trading

Re: point shaving. So easy to do if you don’t overdo it - on the player and bettor side (Pigs get fat; hogs get slaughtered). Same as insider trading
It's the Wild West now, but when the pendulum swings back, and it will, it will be the Feds regulating NIL and controlling enforcement. If you think the NCAA was bad, just wait for a govt arm with subpeona power looking over your shoulder.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT