ADVERTISEMENT

Which recruit didn't come to PSU bc he couldn't have the Freshman dorm to himself?

PSUWrestlingFanSince2011

Mar 22, 2022
Franklin said that it was a high profile recruit that had a great college career and is now in the NFL.

37 minute mark.

Last edited:
Twitter detectives have said it was Nick Cross, the DB from a few years ago who went to Maryland.

Twitter detectives have said it was Nick Cross, the DB from a few years ago who went to Maryland.
I would be surprised if it was Nick Cross based on what Franklin said in the interview. Cross really wanted to go to Florida State and his parents said No. Cross' parents wanted him to go to Penn State, which he did visit a couple of times but he was never intrigued with Penn State. Since Cross' parents wanted him to go to Penn State and vetoed his choice to go to Florida State, Cross went against his parents and decided to go to Maryland on signing day. Some rumors that Locksley dropped a bag off at Cross' house the night before signing day. It was your typical "Kid wants one thing but the Parents want something else" type of drama.

I'm gonna guess it was a very large OL, DL, or TE. The rooms in Beaver Hall are pretty small and the beds aren't built for people of massive size so they probably get larger beds which take up even more of space.

I would be surprised if it was Nick Cross based on what Franklin said in the interview. Cross really wanted to go to Florida State and his parents said No. Cross' parents wanted him to go to Penn State, which he did visit a couple of times but he was never intrigued with Penn State. Since Cross' parents wanted him to go to Penn State and vetoed his choice to go to Florida State, Cross went against his parents and decided to go to Maryland on signing day. Some rumors that Locksley dropped a bag off at Cross' house the night before signing day. It was your typical "Kid wants one thing but the Parents want something else" type of drama.
Doubt the bag, Locksley doesn't impress me as much of a coach but I don't think either he or Maryland have the resources to "buy" players. Recollection is Cross was good DB, safety, I think. Was he about a 3rd round draft choice?

Doubt the bag, Locksley doesn't impress me as much of a coach but I don't think either he or Maryland have the resources to "buy" players. Recollection is Cross was good DB, safety, I think. Was he about a 3rd round draft choice?
Only thought is the RB from Delaware County who played the hat trick and ended up at VT, job for his father was included in the package. Think he had a brief NFL career. too lazy to check name, give the board a few minutes before the name is posted.

Only thought is the RB from Delaware County who played the hat trick and ended up at VT, job for his father was included in the package. Think he had a brief NFL career. too lazy to check name, give the board a few minutes before the name is posted.
Kevin Jones was 20+ years ago. Not him.

With all the garbage in college sports I can’t get too excited about wanting a room to yourself when many colleges offer this to the normal student. Pretty reasonable request in my opinion.

Reactions: PSU Soupy
Apparently, we have Kevin Jones to thank for the recruiting announcement hat shuffle stuff. From Wiki:

In 2000, Jones was the No.1 overall recruit in the nation. Courted by many colleges, Kevin narrowed his choices to Penn State and Virginia Tech. To the surprise of many, Jones chose to become a Hokie, making his decision the day after a home visit from Virginia Tech Head Coach, Frank Beamer.

Jones said of his decision, "If you're a blue-chipper from Pennsylvania, you go to Penn State. But I've always been a little contrary. On the day of my press conference, I still hadn't decided between Virginia Tech and PSU. As I sat down in front of everybody, I had both jerseys with me. I pulled the Penn State jersey out of a bag and said, "I will ... not be attending Penn State." Then I ripped off my sweater and had a Mike Vick jersey on underneath. The entire room was flabbergasted."[3]

Jones' college reveal was so highly anticipated that it was covered nationally, and televised by several local news stations.
Since then, the use of props (hats, shirts, gear, music etc.) by recruits to announce their college choice has become a staple of the recruiting experience. The phenomenon can be credited to Jones, who was the first to ever do so with his reveal in 2000.[4]

Reactions: step.eng69
Kevin Jones was 20+ years ago. Not him.

With all the garbage in college sports I can’t get too excited about wanting a room to yourself when many colleges offer this to the normal student. Pretty reasonable request in my opinion.
am friends with a program insider from KJ era. And he said based on KJ prima down antics and Football coach (his dad who posted on here frequently) demand of a job they had pulled his offer before the whole hat reveal thing. Which may be why he did the whole disrespectful reveal thing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT