ADVERTISEMENT

Which PSU player had best one year improvement?

BigWesley

Jun 10, 2015
when thinking back through the years, which PSU player made the biggest strides in development from one year to the next? This one might be hard to identify because it could be a lineman and that isn't as noticeable.
Some names that I can think of: Mike Giseicki - he dropped everything one year then caught them the next, Brandon Bell - he really made a difference in 2016, but not really sure what a factor he was before that year.

Reactions: Obliviax
when thinking back through the years, which PSU player made the biggest strides in development from one year to the next? This one might be hard to identify because it could be a lineman and that isn't as noticeable.
Some names that I can think of: Mike Giseicki - he dropped everything one year then caught them the next, Brandon Bell - he really made a difference in 2016, but not really sure what a factor he was before that year.

Going back aways I will say Bryant Johnson and Larry Johnson.
MG had a rough soph year but was awesome as a jr and sr.
I think Lamont Wade fits that bill. I wont say he had an awesome year last year but was pretty good.
We've had a few DE's that probably make that list as well, Nassib is the first one that I thought of.

Mike Giseicki is a good catch...LOL...totally agree he went from stone hands (I counted 16 drops, many on third downs which stopped drives) to catching everything within five yards of him.

to be snarky, I'd say Saquon Barkley between his senior year in HS and his Freshman year at PSU.

I'd also throw in Miles Sanders after #26 left early to go pro.

It also fun to watch a player suddenly appear who didn’t play the previous season because of an injury or red shirting. You ask yourself “ Where did he come from “? Hamler is a great example.

Kerry Collins. His QB efficiency rate went from 113.1 to 172.9 and his completion rate increased from 50.8% to 66.7%

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/kerry-collins-1.html

In his senior season, he led the Big 10 in the following categories and was the Offensive Player of the Year:

Pass Percentage Completion
Passing Yards
Passing Yards per Attempt
Adjusted Passing Yards per Attempt
Pass Touchdowns
Passing Efficiency Rating
Total Yards

Last edited:
Larry Johnson as a JR - 71 carries for 337 yards (4.7ypc) and 2 TDs.
LJ as a SR - 271 carries for 2087 yards (7.7ypc) and 20 TDs.
More than 6X as many yards (while increasing his yards/carry by 3) and 10X as many touchdowns.
Pretty dramatic one year improvement.

Larry Johnson as a JR - 71 carries for 337 yards (4.7ypc) and 2 TDs.
LJ as a SR - 271 carries for 2087 yards (7.7ypc) and 20 TDs.
More than 6X as many yards (while increasing his yards/carry by 3) and 10X as many touchdowns.
Pretty dramatic one year improvement.

He was the first guy that came to mind. But did he improve? Or did he get out of the doghouse enough to get the carries? Or was Joe to the point he needed to put his best back on the field just to win some games after consecutive losing seasons?

But the statistical improvement from jr year to sr year was eye popping.

Reactions: BBrown
It’s Nassib without a question, right? I think we all saw Larry Johnson and saw that he was probably the best back for a couple of years before his senior season. Nassib was nobody.

Reactions: MJG-90
He was the first guy that came to mind. But did he improve? Or did he get out of the doghouse enough to get the carries? Or was Joe to the point he needed to put his best back on the field just to win some games after consecutive losing seasons?

But the statistical improvement from jr year to sr year was eye popping.

+1

Reactions: Nittany_93
Nassib went from nobody to All-American

For players who actually contributed before having a massive year, I'd say Michael Haynes. As a junior he had 41 tackles, four sacks and 11 tackles for loss. The following year he racked up 80 tackles, a school-record 15 sacks, 23 tackles for loss and seven forced fumbles on the way to being the #14 pick overall in the NFL Draft.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT