ADVERTISEMENT

What's taking College Wrestling so long to add the push-out rule?

What's taking College Wrestling so long to add the push-out rule?​

Anna Kendrick No GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers
Bill Murray GIF by Groundhog Day

I am warming up to the idea. Especially with the 3pt TD, the proportion would be better than in Free. I’d even lean towards an auto-stall instead of auto-point.

What we have in Free that we don’t in Folk is the pressure you feel when you get backed up. It opens up more opportunities to score—for those looking to do so. That’s why DT loves it. He uses the edge to break guys out of position. You might get the “Iowa Style” matches that drive you crazy sometimes—but with the 3pt TD I think it’s diminished.

The thing with the edge wrestling in free is that you get the continuation—which frankly would be very dangerous on many NCAA mats. And I don’t favor shrinking our mats, so to me, that’s the biggest issue.

I love both styles, but after years of watching folkstyle do absolutely nothing to be more consistent regarding stall calls, something needs to be done. Watching someone tie up for 7 minutes, keep one foot in and one foot out, or pushing off one's head the entire time is not entertaining or wrestling. It's avoiding wrestling.

If not a push out rule, which I'm not the biggest fan of, then maybe a 30 second shot clock. I look at Levi's match, and I'm like, this is nonsense. Last year was even worse with Aaron's finals match. That's all on the refs. Then I hear folks say, well then Brooks and Levi need to do something about it. What exactly? Pushed them farther off the mat? At some point, stallers need to be held accountable, and held accountable far earlier in the match. Not at the 6 minute mark. After all the years of the refs not doing anything, then the only way is either fire them for not doing their job, or make a rules change. In other words, wrestle or get off the mat. Ffs, you get to the finals and run away for 7 minutes? Then you have a coach defending guys like Fix? On top of that, the far better wrestler damn near lost. That's nuts.

You lose scrambles on the edge. Guys won’t work to finish as much on the edge. It needs to be adapted for top bottom. The grounded rule is one of the worst parts of freestyle, AND I really have no interest in watching guys wrestles like Amir Zare where you just chuck underhooks and walk guys to the edge.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT