ADVERTISEMENT

What's everyone doing for vacation this summer?

Relayer

Jun 18, 2001
In a normal year we'll do a couple trips. I've all but ruled out hopping on a plane, so heading out west doesn't look like an option. Plan B was going back to Acadia in Maine, but they have a 14 day quarantine through August.

At this point considering the Smoky Mts, other parts of New England and upstate New York. So basically somewhere on the Appalachian chain.

Reactions: bison13
We had tentative plans to go visit some relatives in Montana this summer. Hopefully that still works out. Not concerned about actually flying, more concerned about there being flights available.

Reactions: bison13 and BBrown
In a normal year we'll do a couple trips. I've all but ruled out hopping on a plane, so heading out west doesn't look like an option. Plan B was going back to Acadia in Maine, but they have a 14 day quarantine through August.

At this point considering the Smoky Mts, other parts of New England and upstate New York. So basically somewhere on the Appalachian chain.

Welp... I live at the beach in Delray Beach, FL. Pool in backyard and beach down the street. So worse case scenario and we go into lock down mode again I have a little paradise here year round. Was hoping to go to Corsica Island off France to my other half's family house but I am right now passing on getting on a plane for that long. Was looking into a trip out west like Jackson, WY for white water rafting and fly fishing that is on hold now as well. So who knows... Maybe use my friends house on Sunset Key Island overlooking Key West as a fall back scenario. Gonna be most likely last minute travel if any ....

Who knows at this point. We usually have our summer filled with baseball and make up our minds late summer. The way this year is going- we will probably end up in a cabin somewhere.

Lakeation
28Bx005.jpg

We were going to Europe for a couple of weeks in June. We have cancelled that unfortunately. I guess we spend more time at our other house and do some days at Raystown lake. Thinking about doing a beach trip to Isle of Palms maybe in later summer.

Here's a travel tip for everyone. Delta cancelled our flights to Europe and didn't advise us. I tried to call them to ensure our miles got redeposited and our cash fees refunded. The hold time was 6 1/2 hours! LOL. So I tweeted at Delta saying you cancelled, didn't tell me and haven't refunded or redeposited anything. Within 10 mins, I got a Twitter DM from Delta and they resolved it within an hour. I will remember that for future issues when I can't reach them in a conventional manner.

Last edited:

We head back to Avalon every year from Texas from July 4th week through August 15th. No difference this year . Only variable is the beach and any restrictions related to coad. After leaving Avalon we drive up to Perry County PA for a week to visit family and and visit a business that I am invested in. Then drive back to Ft Worth etc.

Welp... I live at the beach in Delray Beach, FL. Pool in backyard and beach down the street. So worse case scenario and we go into lock down mode again I have a little paradise here year round. Was hoping to go to Corsica Island off France to my other half's family house but I am right now passing on getting on a plane for that long. Was looking into a trip out west like Jackson, WY for white water rafting and fly fishing that is on hold now as well. So who knows... Maybe use my friends house on Sunset Key Island overlooking Key West as a fall back scenario. Gonna be most likely last minute travel if any ....
You can always come up to Jupiter for a weekend of tiki bars and Thirsty Turtle wings ;)

Maybe Vermont in August; pretty sure the big family vacay in Myrtle Beach will be cancelled.

We have a house rented in Point Pleasant, NJ to celebrate my little sister’s 40th birthday starting on June 20th. I’m assuming we will be forced to cancel that. Then there is the in-law gathering weekend in WI. If Jersey doesn’t happen I will bail on the in-law trip, if that’s even a possibility at that point.

Well...I was supposed to be in Taos in 2 weeks but that got nixed.
So now I'm shooting for Sedona in Sept. I'm ok with the plane....kind of.:confused:

Destin the first week of August and we’re going unless they close the beaches again.

Reactions: whart
I’ve cancelled an Alaska cruise from Anchorage to Vancouver coupled with a trip to Seattle for a surprise anniversary parry. Some of the first
class flights are cancelled so I’ll get cash refunds for those and I’ve filed an insurance claim due to health for the Silverseas Cruise. But it departs on July 2 and I suspect that will be cancelled as well, making the refund easier to obtain.

I own a summer home in OCNJ and we’re heading down there this weekend to get it ready for the summer. I’ll spend most of the season there just avoiding the crowds, hanging out on my decks, doing grocery delivery and take out for food. We can walk and bike ride for exercise once I’m fully recovered from some health issues.

Last edited:

I was thinking of a cruise from the left coast. Hopefully to Hawaii.
One of my excursions will be a helicopter tour.
I'm going to make sure I check with the local surfers about the wind currents first. They seem to be the experts on helicopter safety.

Then a coach class flight home to the NYC area. I'll try to prevent the kids from licking the tray.

LdN

Reactions: step.eng69
Still have Greece/London on the docket for mid July. The Open has been cancelled so I submitted my refund request yesterday. Last I saw, Greece was going to open to tourists on July 1, so assuming that holds, I will still be good. If mid June rolls around and looks like issues, will have to start looking to cancel.

If it is cancelled, I can always do a Harley trip somewhere with the time blocked off at that time.

Reactions: Relayer

We did the Smokies. Rented a cabin in Wears Valley, did the Smokies, then went on to Chattanooga, Missionary Ridge, Lookout Mountain and Chickamauga battlefields. Volunteer Cabin Rentals was the outfit we rented from.

Reactions: Relayer
I'll be flying to PHX with my son in June to get him set up with a place to live for his freshman year at ASU that starts in August. After the past 3 months, that will feel like a vacation. At least some restaurants are open in AZ.

My gf's 50th is July 15, would like to head to Nashville that weekend with her, but she may not be wiling to travel. If not we'll celebrate her 50th in AZ in Oct/Nov.

Reactions: BBrown
We had tentative plans to go visit some relatives in Montana this summer. Hopefully that still works out. Not concerned about actually flying, more concerned about there being flights available.
Flights will be available. Might not be convenient to small airports, but they will be operating

I'll be flying to PHX with my son in June to get him set up with a place to live for his freshman year at ASU that starts in August. After the past 3 months, that will feel like a vacation. At least some restaurants are open in AZ.

My gf's 50th is July 15, would like to head to Nashville that weekend with her, but she may not be wiling to travel. If not we'll celebrate her 50th in AZ in Oct/Nov.
make sure you take a day trip to Sedona while in AZ, if you can. In fact, I'd suggest a short visit to Jerome, Montezuma's Castle, and Sedona. Of course, you are then just a day trip away from the Grand Canyon, Craters of the Moon and Sunset Creater....just an awesome area, really.

make sure you take a day trip to Sedona while in AZ, if you can. In fact, I'd suggest a short visit to Jerome, Montezuma's Castle, and Sedona. Of course, you are then just a day trip away from the Grand Canyon, Craters of the Moon and Sunset Creater....just an awesome area, really.

I'm hoping I can do my Sedona trip in Sept.
My 4 year plan was to stick it out here in bmore than then move to Tucson. But I think this "event" has moved my 4 year plan up about a year or 2.
And you are right its an awesome area.

If things don’t turn around soon, some of those from the pampered class posting here may be defending their homes.

My 4 year plan was to stick it out here in bmore than then move to Tucson. But I think this "event" has moved my 4 year plan up about a year or 2.
After you move out there what will be your new summer plan? You might need one.

1f975.png

Nothing like surprising somebody by showing up at their door with an epee on their anniversary...
Well it’s scheduled as a big family gathering in a golf course clubhouse for a 50th wedding anniversary. I’ll be sorry to miss it but I’m sure other travelers will bail out as well.

After you move out there what will be your new summer plan? You might need one.

1f975.png

Nahh I'm good. I like the desert. LOL.
Besides I still have family back in PA.
If this current trend (the last 5+ years) continues it will only be in the 80's in July and August
in PA. This spring has been especially brutal.

Reactions: tyrone57
I think I'll just hang out at home for a few weeks with my family and kind of hunker down by ourselves for some quiet time.

Need any new friends?

Reactions: psu00
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT