ADVERTISEMENT

What will you be eating for Christmas dinner?

Halupki also known as blind pigeons, or just pigeons as well. Likewise more an Easter thing in the Bell family. Christmas is a repeat of Thanksgiving for the most part. Turkey and the associated sides. For some reason my grandmother, when I was a kid and we were kidding around with her would say "You're as full of $hl+ as a Christmas turkey." Never really got the simile but it was nonetheless funny.

Reactions: BrianS and sluggo72
Christmas Eve Dinner
1. Clams on the half shell
2. Spicy Conch Soup
3. Fried Shrimp
4. Shrimp Cocktail
5. Octopus
6. Macaroni & Cheese

Wine & Beer

Christmas Day Dinner
1. 16oz NY Strip Steak or Ribeye
2. Loaded Baked Potato
3. Broccoli Rabe, Corn, String Beans
4. Zucchini and Onion Soup

Wine

So which grease truck has that on the menu?:)

We're working on our own traditions, but for now we typically do shrimp cocktail and cold cut sandwiches (with new Christmas PJ's) on Christmas Eve, then something more traditional on Christmas (think a ham this year). Anyway, as luck would have it, was listening to NPR this morning and they were talking about another Christmas Eve eating tradition - the Feast of the Seven Fishes. Pretty interesting stuff, especially for Italian Americans who are familiar with the (mostly American) tradition. Anyone do this? I generally dislike seafood, but am always down for some shrimp or scallops.

Reactions: Zenophile
We used to have a spiral ham, but recently our traditions have changed and we visit relatives on Chrismas eve, when we used to have stuffed cabbage, so we ditched the ham, and moved this dish into the Christmas dinner. Our family is part Jewish and part Protestant, so we’ve always tried to have celebratory meals of both faiths at holiday times. This recipe is from my mother who passed in 2004, and it originated in her Russian parents homes. The secret is the “sweet and sour tomato sauce”, not to be confused with an Italian tomato sauce. We usually accompany it with cooked buttered carrots with dill, some homemade apple sauce from Solebury Orchards in Bucks County, and some good Jewish rye bread or challah and butter. A hearty red wine like a Temperillno is a good choice. Beer works too.

Here is our approximate recipe as my mother never wrote the measurements down, just the ingredients. It should make a great New Years Day dish for those with other traditional Christmas meals.

It’s also known as Praccus, among families who spoke Yiddish in the home, or is know as Halishkis among those with Polish heritage. (Excuse my spelling).

Stuffed-Cabbage-Rolls-5-150x150.jpg

DIRECTIONS
  1. TO MAKE THE CABBAGE ROLLS: Heat the oil in a skillet and saute' the onions until golden. In a large bowl, combine the ground beef with the eggs, water, rice, salt and pepper. Add the sauteed onions to the beef mixture and mix well. Set aside.
  2. Core the cabbage and separate into leaves. Place the leaves in a large pot, cover with water, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for about 8 minutes. Drain and cool the leaves until they can be easily handled.
  3. Cut the large leaves in half, removing the hard core. Place about 3 tablespoons of the meat mixture on a leaf. Fold the edges toward the center and roll up. Repeat until all the leaves are used. Place the the rolls in a large pot with the edges down, piling one on top of another, and separating them with a few of the small cabbage leaves.
  4. TO MAKE THE SAUCE: In a saucepan, combine the tomatoes, tomato puree, water, onions, brown sugar, honey, lemon juice, ginger snaps, raisins, and salt. Simmer for 10 minutes, then taste and adjust the sweet and sour to your liking. Pour the sauce over the cabbage rolls, cover, and cook GENTLY on top the stove for 1 1/2 hours.
Ingredients
DIRECTIONS
  1. TO MAKE THE CABBAGE ROLLS: Heat the oil in a skillet and saute' the onions until golden. In a large bowl, combine the ground beef with the eggs, water, rice, salt and pepper. Add the sauteed onions to the beef mixture and mix well. Set aside.
  2. Core the cabbage and separate into leaves. Place the leaves in a large pot, cover with water, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for about 8 minutes. Drain and cool the leaves until they can be easily handled.
  3. Cut the large leaves in half, removing the hard core. Place about 3 tablespoons of the meat mixture on a leaf. Fold the edges toward the center and roll up. Repeat until all the leaves are used. Place the the rolls in a large pot with the edges down, piling one on top of another, and separating them with a few of the small cabbage leaves.
  4. TO MAKE THE SAUCE: In a saucepan, combine the tomatoes, tomato puree, water, onions, brown sugar, honey, lemon juice, ginger snaps, raisins, and salt. Simmer for 10 minutes, then taste and adjust the sweet and sour to your liking. Pour the sauce over the cabbage rolls, cover, and cook GENTLY on top the stove for 1 1/2 hours.

I love stuffed cabbage although I'm not sure about the sweet sauce I like just regular tomato sauce or a good marinara.

We used to have a spiral ham, but recently our traditions have changed and we visit relatives on Chrismas eve, when we used to have stuffed cabbage, so we ditched the ham, and moved this dish into the Christmas dinner. Our family is part Jewish and part Protestant, so we’ve always tried to have celebratory meals of both faiths at holiday times. This recipe is from my mother who passed in 2004, and it originated in her Russian parents homes. The secret is the “sweet and sour tomato sauce”, not to be confused with an Italian tomato sauce. We usually accompany it with cooked buttered carrots with dill, some homemade apple sauce from Solebury Orchards in Bucks County, and some good Jewish rye bread or challah and butter. A hearty red wine like a Temperillno is a good choice. Beer works too.

Here is our approximate recipe as my mother never wrote the measurements down, just the ingredients. It should make a great New Years Day dish for those with other traditional Christmas meals.

It’s also known as Praccus, among families who spoke Yiddish in the home, or is know as Halishkis among those with Polish heritage. (Excuse my spelling).

DIRECTIONS
Ingredients
DIRECTIONS

I'm doing Posole for Christmas Eve and then Turkey (it was a gift from work, usually we have ham) for Christmas day.

Alaskan king Crab legs
Flat iron steak Oscar
Yellow rice
Roasted Cauliflower with injected cajun cheese sauce
Picked eggs and Beets — great grandma loved them so we eat them.[/QUOTE]

So do I, as long as they are on the Vinegary side and not sweet.
Plus beets are good for you and Lord knows my liver needs all the help it can get.:D

As an awesome short cut for golabki, you can slice the cabbage in half and microwave it in a 1/4” of water, cut side down, covered in a microwave-safe container for 12 minutes on high. Can’t miss. Learned this from family in Poland.

I do an easy version of pigs in the blanket with just shredding the cabbage so its more of a casserole type dish.
Very good.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/14690/cabbage-roll-casserole/

I've also had that recipe with Tomato soup and its pretty good as well.

We're working on our own traditions, but for now we typically do shrimp cocktail and cold cut sandwiches (with new Christmas PJ's) on Christmas Eve, then something more traditional on Christmas (think a ham this year). Anyway, as luck would have it, was listening to NPR this morning and they were talking about another Christmas Eve eating tradition - the Feast of the Seven Fishes. Pretty interesting stuff, especially for Italian Americans who are familiar with the (mostly American) tradition. Anyone do this? I generally dislike seafood, but am always down for some shrimp or scallops.

My ex's family does the 7 fishes. One of the few things I miss, lol

It's all about Christmas eve in my family. It is a feast of feasts. My dad makes his famous BBQ shrimp which is a once a year thing on Christmas eve. We also have regular shrimp, scallops, two different types of ravioli, rigatoni, stuffed shells, meatballs. There is plenty of other food as well but those are the highlights.

We have what we call the white meal like my mom used to make but now I make it.

Turkey
Mashed Potatoes
Stuffing
Gravy
Egg noodles

It is a PA Dutch high starch meal. My wife insists that we have some color so I will make roasted brussel sprouts and maybe some asparagus.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kūčios

We do a version of this for Christmas Eve with mushroom soup, 12 items, the empty plate, no meat, breaking bread, etc. Been doing it my whole life.

Christmas Day is something nice and looks good when we go shopping.

Linksmu Kaledu.

My wife's father is a vegan :))) so the past 2 years of hosting we made a garlic olive oil/pasta dish, a big salad, some bruschetta as well as a big olive tray/antipasti. There are a surprising number of good deserts that are vegan that we get from local bakery as well as Whole Foods. However, this year he gets in around noon on Christmas Eve, so we need to come up with a second dinner... anyone have any suggestions for a relatively easy vegan recipe??

My wife's father is a vegan :))) so the past 2 years of hosting we made a garlic olive oil/pasta dish, a big salad, some bruschetta as well as a big olive tray/antipasti. There are a surprising number of good deserts that are vegan that we get from local bakery as well as Whole Foods. However, this year he gets in around noon on Christmas Eve, so we need to come up with a second dinner... anyone have any suggestions for a relatively easy vegan recipe??
You could serve a vegan squash soup and a salad. Or how about a wild mushroom vegan risotto, it uses vegetable stock instead of chicken broth. I’ve also had a squash risotto which is very nice also. I prefer peas added to the risotto as well, both for color and taste.
Vegan Butternut Squash Soup - One Pot & Creamy
  1. 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil.
  2. 1 medium onion.
  3. 3 garlic cloves, minced.
  4. 2 pounds butternut squash peeled, seeds removed and cubed.
  5. 1 teaspoon sea salt.
  6. 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper.
  7. 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves.
  8. 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth.
For the Risotto:
  • 1 Onion (chopped)
  • 6 cups Vegetable Stock/Broth
  • 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
  • 2 Packs (18oz/500g) Brown Mushrooms (sliced)
  • 1.5 cups (300g) Risotto (Arborio) Rice
  • 2 Tbsp Vegan Butter
  • Sea Salt (to taste)
  • Black Pepper (to taste)
For Serving:

Last edited:

Vegan Cannelloni cooked lasagna style. Just substitute the ground meat with a mix of ground crimini mushrooms, onions, garlic and eggplant.

Get this award winning cookbook: The 40 Year Old Vegan by Sandra and Susan Sellani

I went to high school with the authors and they are 2 great ladies. I'm not a Vegan, but there are surely some great recipes in this book. Here's the website: http://40yov.com/book/

Reactions: mcruny42
We used to have a spiral ham, but recently our traditions have changed and we visit relatives on Chrismas eve, when we used to have stuffed cabbage, so we ditched the ham, and moved this dish into the Christmas dinner. Our family is part Jewish and part Protestant, so we’ve always tried to have celebratory meals of both faiths at holiday times. This recipe is from my mother who passed in 2004, and it originated in her Russian parents homes. The secret is the “sweet and sour tomato sauce”, not to be confused with an Italian tomato sauce. We usually accompany it with cooked buttered carrots with dill, some homemade apple sauce from Solebury Orchards in Bucks County, and some good Jewish rye bread or challah and butter. A hearty red wine like a Tempranillo is a good choice. Beer works too.

DIRECTIONS
Ingredients
DIRECTIONS

Being half Italian and half Jewish and 100% intelligent, I only eat Apple Pie on Sir Isacc Newtons birthday.

JvFFVmatwWHUUP6UQiJGGh9zaWf8rnhMn2a7q4iEBGBsX3h5zewc1vX4ukb1tD71RGgUk58vRGhA1pdZzDpRvJ122xGKwjp5cXTnoGvzEFEXc2Kb32nFMZXNDgxBDKwPWStNW3KCY5

Christmas Eve Dinner
1. Clams on the half shell
2. Spicy Conch Soup
3. Fried Shrimp
4. Shrimp Cocktail
5. Octopus
6. Macaroni & Cheese

Wine & Beer

Christmas Day Dinner
1. 16oz NY Strip Steak or Ribeye
2. Loaded Baked Potato
3. Broccoli Rabe, Corn, String Beans
4. Zucchini and Onion Soup

Wine

"Broccoli Rabe?" What is THAT?

is this you in your Christmas PJ's ???

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
What is a jumbo lump cram meat cocktail?
normally it is just lump crab meat served cold on a bed of ice, with cocktail sauce on the side, many times in a martini like glass. But I cant speak for their version.

Reactions: BBrown
Its Broccoli thats been blanched and then sauteed with garlic, olive oil and maybe red pepper.
Its awesome on the Roast Pork Sandwich from Dinic's in the Reading Terminal Maket.
Beats cheese steaks hands down.
http://tommydinics.com/
not quite but close..Broccoli Rabe is not made from Broccoli, it made from Broccoli Rabe...

Rapini, commonly marketed in the United States as broccoli raab or broccoli rabe/rɑːb/, is a green cruciferous vegetable. The edible parts are the leaves, buds, and stems. The buds somewhat resemble broccoli, but do not form a large head. Rapini is known for its slightly bitter taste, and is particularly associated with Italian, Galician, and Portuguese cuisines. Within the Italian tradition, the plant is associated especially with southern Italian cuisines such as those of Naples, Campania, and Apulia.

Reactions: RU31trap and BBrown
not quite but close..Broccoli Rabe is not made from Broccoli, it made from Broccoli Rabe...

Rapini, commonly marketed in the United States as broccoli raab or broccoli rabe/rɑːb/, is a green cruciferous vegetable. The edible parts are the leaves, buds, and stems. The buds somewhat resemble broccoli, but do not form a large head. Rapini is known for its slightly bitter taste, and is particularly associated with Italian, Galician, and Portuguese cuisines. Within the Italian tradition, the plant is associated especially with southern Italian cuisines such as those of Naples, Campania, and Apulia.

Thanks, Shendojoe just told me that. I never knew.
The things you can learn on this site never cease to amaze me.

We used to have a spiral ham, but recently our traditions have changed and we visit relatives on Chrismas eve, when we used to have stuffed cabbage, so we ditched the ham, and moved this dish into the Christmas dinner. Our family is part Jewish and part Protestant, so we’ve always tried to have celebratory meals of both faiths at holiday times. This recipe is from my mother who passed in 2004, and it originated in her Russian parents homes. The secret is the “sweet and sour tomato sauce”, not to be confused with an Italian tomato sauce. We usually accompany it with cooked buttered carrots with dill, some homemade apple sauce from Solebury Orchards in Bucks County, and some good Jewish rye bread or challah and butter. A hearty red wine like a Tempranillo is a good choice. Beer works too.

DIRECTIONS
Ingredients
DIRECTIONS

That’s what I grew up on. Hunky Christmas was an expression I heard. I believe my relatives were referring to coal regions’ fare.

We do ciopiinio (fish on Christmas Eve) and ham the next day. Miss the pierogies, halupkeys above and Lithuanian cookies.

Reactions: Nitwit
Air!!!

As I take nap after turkey puts me to sleep for a nappy

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT